Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about buying a W140 coupe for 6-10K and making some modifications, lambo doors, a nice sound system, etc. I was just wondering if anyone here owned the coupe, and what they thought of my idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts
LOL, The ghetto? :D Maybe Lambo doors n nice sound system is fair, just dont write "Mercedes Benz" or "22's" in chrome all over the car...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, The ghetto? :D Maybe Lambo doors n nice sound system is fair, just dont write "Mercedes Benz" or "22's" in chrome all over the car...:thumbsup:
LOL, I have no plans to. Do you guys think i could even find a lambo door kit for that car?

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
So? To each his own
Well don't ask if you don't want to hear the answer, it will look ghetto because think of the size of the doors and how hard they will then be to close it's going to look exactly like what it is a GT car trying to be a Lamborghini.

As far as the stereo goes I'd stick with the Bose as it's pretty good or go with something like Mcintosh as the quality is pretty high.

Welcome to McIntosh

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I was thinking about buying a W140 coupe for 6-10K and making some modifications, lambo doors, a nice sound system, etc. I was just wondering if anyone here owned the coupe, and what they thought of my idea.
Everybody and their brother is doing Lambo doors now-a-days. IMHO, the only thing Lambo doors look good on is (surprise!) a Lambroghini. Like someone said earlier, W140 doors are HEAVY, and doing a Lambo kit on them would most likely cause problems with window regulators, closing assist, etc. Not to mention you would probably see an increase in wind noise since I doubt an aftermarket Lambo kit would be able to position the door correctly.

Next point: Have you ever heard the stock sound system in a W140? It's an 11 speaker (in the sedan, anyway) Bose surround sound setup and it is pretty nice as-is. Pop in an aftermarket head unit if you want to add mp3/bluetooth, but the stock amp & speakers do a pretty good job.

My advise is to try and keep the mods tasteful and under-stated, just like the rest of the car. Here are a few suggestions, in no particular order:

• S600 front grill
  • New set of rims/tires, no larger than 18"-20". (AMG Monobloks :thumbsup:) Chromed, if you must.
  • 1" or so lowering kit
  • Tint the windows a bit
  • Aftermarket head unit if you need it.
  • A chrome accent here and there.
  • Go-fast(er) bits for the engine
Things to avoid:
  • Overly large tires/wheels
  • Any kind of spoiler/wing/lip
  • Stick-on vinyl graphics, vents, or scoops
  • Neon
  • Carbon fiber
  • Lambo anything
  • Altezza-style headlight/tail lights.
  • Loud "fart cannon" exhaust system.
  • Anything that could get you featured on this website
This poor Rolls-Royce is a good example of how not to do it!:eek::crybaby2::mad:

Remember, these are just my opinions so they're probably worth everything you paid for them

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan to keep the mods tasteful, and the only crazy thing i was planning on was the lambo doors. If they will cause problems I won't even go with those. I did REALLY want them though. And yea, I already wanted the AMG Monoblocks, I think they look great on an all black classic Benz

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I just saw a w140 coupe on ebay with the lambo doors and some mods..if you go to ebay and type either s500 coupe or s600 coupe i believe its still there.. oh wait here it is:

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : S-Class (item 150209183910 end time Feb-12-08 22:30:52 PST)
Warning! This car is on owner #5.

Originally sold in California, moved to Missouri, Ohio, Kentucky, & North Carolina. Owner #3 seems to have serviced it regularly, but not a whole lot of other maintenance records in CarFax. I count 6 service visits for electrical problems. Looks like this car saw some fleet service as well.

Look this one over good if you decide to buy it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The price sems good, but the work that needs to be done on the car worries me, who knows how much more it'll hit me for

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Yes I think It would look good.. I have a SEC.. one of the few..I get really pissed at the way people park by the side of me.. so I cant get in..The doors are so long and heavy. It is impossible to get in without draging your foot over the speaker grill.. I have replaced mine twice.. I think you should go for it.. The gas strut will have to be heavy duty if you need help with the calcs give me a shout.. If you lead others will follow..

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'll take the left.

The doors are so 2001, passe, been done.

We'll see how the car & its doors are working in a year or two.

Customized vehicules have a short shelf life.

A 140 is the last car I'd want as a "project" we pay enough to keep them running.

Alot of aftermarket add-ons for the 140 will look like crap in only a few years.

Have you seen a old set of "altezza" taillights on a import lately?

Cool today, lame tommorow.

If you can pull it off "taste-fully" more power to you.

Just make the split between "crap" and "Art" and you'll have a stunner.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I wouldn't touch the speakers, they're excellent. And, besides that, difficult to replace because of the proprietary fitment. Change the head unit only if you want Bluetooth, MP3, Sat. Radio, or something like that. Make sure you get a good one.. Personally my choice would be a factory unit + Monster iCruze for iPod connectivity. I don't particularly need any extra stuff.

As far as wheels go, era specific look best. Some people put brand new giovanna or whatever on these cars, and while some look nice, most look terrible. I'd stick to a nice set of AMGs that were used no later than around 2001 or so. Chrome looks flashy if that's your thing, I prefer chrome especially on a black car. Also, the little chrome lip you can stick on the boot/trunk lid looks nice if you want to add it, also grab the chrome gauge rings. Both can be had on ebay pretty cheap. There's also a chrome shifter surround.. But that's about all the chrome I'd add, especially not the chrome fender flares... Way too much if you ask me.

And I think you're just looking for trouble if you mess with the doors... Too heavy, too complex with the close assist, etc.

Oh and don't forget a nice grille, that really pulls it together.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
taste?

Hmmm...you dont think that IF these doors had been around earlier then MB would have used them...

OH.. what's that on that mercedes thingy.., looks like a Mclaren carbon fibre/plastic Wotsit you know that cheap one.. and oh gosh.. look gullwing doors like on that old sportster thing they did in the 50's that sterling moss bloke won that urm mila millia in italy and set that record that never been broken in.. how tacky...Thats oh so passe...Best we stick to the old three box formula..cant have any of you modern johnnies messing things up...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I'll pass on messing with the sound system. It sounds like the Lambo doors will just make the car a mess, but I'll still go for it. I'll need all the help I can get though!

·
Registered
48 Posts
on a photo 2 cars, 1 with lambo and 1 stock. Stock looks mush better. Rear lights tinted - not looks good. prefer second stock car, it much presently and use more respekt than in such bad tuning.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts