Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one ,
I can notice most of new posts are for asking questions of problems rather helping others to show how to fix or troubleshoot problems of this discontinued line .
currently I went thru many topics of blower motor ,but none of them showed how to dismantle it.
also Youtube with no much ,
since I
m not a mech or an electri ,so I got my blower motor from my S500 98 after it became dead not blowing ,tried to change resistor with no luck ,and opened it ,fixed it .
few points to help u if u want to fix ur blower motor:
- no need to open the case at all , since no bearings inside to change , or alignment of the casing will be a major issue later. as I had went to weld it.
- brushes can be replaced while casing is intact,
- commutator can be shaved from outside . also dust and derbies can be cleaned from outside by a sharp long head knife .
- all what u can do more is air blowing to the motor .
- NO oil or grease to add , but may be less than a drop at area of the shafts touching the case.

here some pics of what I went thru , may help some body

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
If needed I would elect to do what I did 8 years ago...diagnose the problem for free....spend $149 for a new OEM Motor...install the new motor onto the existing assembly for free...Done!

Seth

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If needed I would elect to do what I did 8 years ago...diagnose the problem for free....spend $149 for a new OEM Motor...install the new motor onto the existing assembly for free...Done!

Seth
ya this is the easiest way to do it , but
a time will come where rarely or difficult to get such part from the supplier , where every body will rush to this forum looking for answer .

·
Registered
7,356 Posts
I rebuilt my blower motor too but unfortunately the motor died 4 months down the line. So what i did was buy a used assembly because the fan portion broke. I dont see why shops charge $250 to install the blower it literally took me 10minutes to swap i have done it a few times. Also a side note if you guys are replacing the cabin filters get the wix carbon one its like $30 and its the oem one even has the white germany stamp on it. Not to mention its extremely cheap at $30 when a dealer filter was like $200

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi again guys,
I got more confident with anatomy of motor blower, for which I went and opened the blower of my 2nd W140. because I had intermittent stoppage and bizarre sounds when it is on,
the problem was found as u see in attached photos , the lower shaft of rotor was eating the lower case for a long time , reason !!!
I regretted to say early cleaning can be done from outside without opening the casing .
for perfect cleaning and restoration ,have to open it,
some more tips and notices ;
- best to open casing from the lower part.
- using Dremel to release notches , so will keep alignment as it is,
- pull the rotor after u release the brushes ,other wise brushes will be damaged by pulling the rotor from the bottom.
- cleaning done by air compressor , WD40 then by flushing water .(no parts can be damaged by using WD40 or carburetor cleaner ,except a small rubber pieces as shown in pics, try to avoid spraying them)
- commutator has to be shaved ,till it became shinny.
- brushes if needed to be changed ,has to cut its wire near the brush ,and soldered to new brush from outside the casing with insulator , other option is more difficult.

hope u r encouraged by now.
and good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
nos_com71
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing