Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Always fascinated with euro-spec parts on our cars, I finally got around to install fender sidemarkers.

Here is a pic of the lamps and harness

Pic of the template I made from the pics I got from BW

And after 4hours, here are pics of the car

Thanks to StarScream and to the 2 other guys who sent me clear pics of their markers

UPDATE 09/20/2011: Part Numbers!

1248200421 = Amber colored lamp assembly (i.e. with cable, ready to fit)
1248202321 = White version of above
1248200021 = Amber lamp, less cable and bulb
2028201621 = White version of 1248200021

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Do you not have those in the US? I have clears to match the front and rears. They look good though :thumbsup:

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We dont have sidemarkers in NAM. Which makes this mod sweet

clear is the upgrade to standard amber markers. but since we dont have it to begin with, ambers will suit me just fine

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
z168 said:
We dont have sidemarkers in NAM. Which makes this mod sweet

clear is the upgrade to standard amber markers. but since we dont have it to begin with, ambers will suit me just fine
I didn't know that I assumed that clears is just what we had. Did you have to drill into the car to fit them I guess? Man your pretty brave. :eek:

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep - had to cut a hole. im OCD with regards to this so I had to make a very precise hole at the exact spec location. thats why it took me 4hours.

this is my 2nd merc to put a pair on and my 6th time to do this. no sweat :)

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
z168 said:
yep - had to cut a hole. im OCD with regards to this so I had to make a very precise hole at the exact spec location. thats why it took me 4hours.

this is my 2nd merc to put a pair on and my 6th time to do this. no sweat :)
lol I think I would have put on a skirt and gone to my mechanic.....:D

·
Registered
Mercedes S320
130 Posts
NZ Benz said:
Do you not have those in the US? I have clears to match the front and rears. They look good though :thumbsup:

Hmmm... i had the orange ones and i removed them for the clear ones as they suit the clear corners i have in the front. The specifications must be different from country to country.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
MaximRick said:
i hate that in the US we didn't have these standard...they really look rather slick.
Thing is I can't see the point in not having them on the car, do no American branded cars have these or something?

·
Registered
1995 Silver S-320
681 Posts
NZ Benz said:
Thing is I can't see the point in not having them on the car, do no American branded cars have these or something?

yup, for some absurd reason europe editions have them though US editions don't, they have everything else standard but that, go figure.

·
Registered
2005 W211 E320
1,251 Posts
I was wondering why i don't see any around here without them, it's Euro only... yeah I think they look nice, some US cars have them, I think it was an older fashion and they were removed for more modern cars, but lately i think some of the manufacturers are going back to using them for a more classy appearance... course I could be wrong, maybe i've only seen them on mercedes and other european cars, I think Jaguar's have them...

Anyway, i'd probably go with the clear ones, especially if you already have clear corner lights. I think it'd look pretty neat on mine but i'm not going to bother, considering I don't want to cut into my car..

·
Registered
1991 600 SEL
38 Posts
I always thought that sidemarkers were an American thing. Dutch and German W140 (or other cars) dont have them. If I see a Porsche from the 80's or 90's overhere with sidemarkers it's always an American import.

Daan

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
the sidemarkers didn't come on any us spec w140 but other companies do/did do it on their cars. I know audi did it. a friend of mine has a 98 audi A4 and his came with amber side markers. He saw my clear corners and ordered a set for his audi along with clear side markers :-D

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
BMWs always had them. So did most japanese cars (except for their respective NAM versions)

Ford had these in their trucks since the mid-late 90s

I find this a great safety feature plus its a relatively cheap mod

kinda OT, but heres a few pics of my other markers

and for my non-MBs

·
Registered
1999 S500
98 Posts
Z168 where did you get your sidemarker kit from (2 lens and wiring)...?

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
MaximRick said:
yup, for some absurd reason europe editions have them though US editions don't, they have everything else standard but that, go figure.
It hasn't always been this way. It used to be the opposite. To properly import a European 300SEL to the US in the 60's and 70's, you had to add sidemarkers.

Here's a Euro spec 300SEL 6.3:

And, here's a US spec 300SEL 6.3:

Brett

·
Registered
1999 S500
98 Posts
Z168... did you primer the edges around the area that you cut to insert the sidemarkers (Reason: This area is known to be very susceptible to rust… therefore it is highly recommended that one primer the area right around the cut in hopes of rust prevention). Also it is suggested that those installing sidemarkers onto vehicles that were not factory equipped with sidemarkers… should install sidemarkers that have rubber backings on them to also help prevent possible rusting (especial in areas with heavy rainfall and or if you wash your vehicle frequently). Image is of a BMW E36 clear sidemarker w/rubber backing…

Attachments

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
E-Chen yes I painted the exposed metal and yes the standard MB markers had rubber surrounds. not as big as the BMWs but would act the same way

I tried getting them from the stealerships and the Irvine Classic center but theyre no help. I sourced the lamps from a guy in Norway.

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
703 Posts
Brett San Diego said:
It hasn't always been this way. It used to be the opposite. To properly import a European 300SEL to the US in the 60's and 70's, you had to add sidemarkers.

Here's a Euro spec 300SEL 6.3:

And, here's a US spec 300SEL 6.3:

Brett
that's because in the US you have to have an amber side reflector and on those older cars there wasn't one. this goes back to the debate as to why clear corners on our w140's aren't DOT legal...because they don't have the amber reflector on the side.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts