Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99CL600,98CL600 Swiss import,R230 SL666, EURO1985 280 CE & XR600R Desert killer
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy guys I have simple question is anybody there who removed governor limiter before? because I can not stand this anymore 135MPH for CL600 this is a joke I know that is for safety ,but come on guys I want to push it bit more any IDEAS so I want to keep same set up with my ECU , but I would like to get UNLIMITED version like in EUROPE so is that possible in USA for all help thanks a lot.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
you have to reflash the ecu.. i know it can be done to earlier models but later versions i honestly dont know. bookmarking for my own curiosity if somebody knows where to send 1996+

·
Registered
97 S500coupe. 97 sl320 2000 Corvette 1999 V star 650 Classic
701 Posts
Where?

HEy guys I have simple question is anybody there who removed governor limiter before? because I can not stand this anymore 135MPH for CL600 this is a joke I know that is for safety ,but come on guys I want to push it bit more any IDEAS so I want to keep same set up with my ECU , but I would like to get UNLIMITED version like in EUROPE so is that possible in USA for all help thanks a lot.
OK - where do you go to drive 133mph? Any old back road? Top speed of my C5 Corvette is supposedly 172mph. I vaguely recall one time when I saw 125 shortly after I got the car. I honestly don't feel the need to test to see if the top speed is achievable.
Jre32 - Jan

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
ecu programmers can disable the speed limiter. also they can do other programing that can raise up horsepower. but professional programing is pretty expensive and you don't want to trust anyone with your ecu(because they can ruin it)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Consider yourself lucky to be limited. This is coming from someone that had a C6 Corvette and got pulled over for doing 31mph shy of top speed. Nothing good will come with triple digit speeds my friend. :surrender: I would imagine a CL600 is a VERY tempting vehicle to speed with in the right circumstances. Don't let it get to you!

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
Consider yourself lucky to be limited. This is coming from someone that had a C6 Corvette and got pulled over for doing 31mph shy of top speed. Nothing good will come with triple digit speeds my friend. :surrender: I would imagine a CL600 is a VERY tempting vehicle to speed with in the right circumstances. Don't let it get to you!
What happened? Do tell.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
What happened? Do tell.... :thumbsup:
I'll try to keep it brief without most of the details. I was travelling cross country from WA state to NC.

I didn't think the black tahoe that was riding my bumper on the highway was a sheriff's deputy. He was literally just a couple feet from my bumper when I was I was going roughly 100mph. The Corvettes are so damned low to the ground that all you see behind you is a grille and headlights. I figured it was a chevy enthusiast and/or possibly a whacko. I downshifted to fourth gear and floored it to lose him. I slowed down to about 100mph again when I saw traffic ahead. Moments later the tahoe catches up and turns on his wig wags. So I pull over. I likely could have lost him if I wanted to but I don't play that game. I have too much respect for the law to do that.

Anyway he asks me to step out of the car and go over to his car. At this point I'm sitting in the passenger seat of the tahoe thinking my car is going to get impounded. Luckily I'm able to talk him out of it. I told him I was in the air force and that I want to pursue a career in law enforcement (which is 100% true) He called into the county that he pulled me over in to see if jail and impound is required. Apparently it was up to officer discretion. He asked me for my word that I was going to take care of the ticket and he let me go.

He was a young deputy so I asked him if it at least looked cool when I floored it. He said yeah, is that the Z06? I told him it's just a 'regular' C6 with air intake, exhaust mod and tune. I'm glad he didn't give me a ticket for 5% tint and illegal exhaust (since it was straight pipe). He was a cool cop overall. The ticket required a court appearance.

I already have a good lawyer and will be taking care of this issue sometime this year. Chances are I'll have to spend one day in jail for every MPH over 100. With is about two months jail time. :mad: She's going to try and make it one or two days jail. I hope jail isn't as bad as it seems on TV...

·
Registered
346 Posts
impressive. as someone who has three speeding tickets in the past year, I recommend a Valentine 1. No tickets ever since I got it, but I do spot old smokeys a lot easier/quicker now.

·
Registered
1998 S280 (W140), 1998 ML230 (W163) both with Manual Transmission, 2012 Audi A7 TDI Quattro S Line
125 Posts
Saleen, You just made me not miss living in the U.S. anymore. In the 6 years I haven't been there, I forgot that you can go to jail for speed(And I am sorry for you). In here, the law says that if you go above 50 Km/h over the speed limit, you loose your licence for a month. If you go 80 Km/h above the speed limit, you loose your licence for 3 months. And anything above that sends you to court where a judge decides if you are licence-free for a whole year or more. The speed limits are absurd in here. 50 Km/h in the city, 80 Km/h outside and 130 Km/h on the highway.

However, given the fact that the officer is required to have 2 pictures of the car speeding and the driver's face, it is very easy for us to bypass these speed limits. At 210Km/h(about 130Mph), they don't have the time to take a picture of your face, so if they stop you, they take your licence and fine you and the next working day you go to court and ask for proof of you speeding. They don't have any, they give your licence and money back and you can also sue them.

Sorry to go off-topic!

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
I'll try to keep it brief without most of the details. I was travelling cross country from WA state to NC.

I didn't think the black tahoe that was riding my bumper on the highway was a sheriff's deputy. He was literally just a couple feet from my bumper when I was I was going roughly 100mph. The Corvettes are so damned low to the ground that all you see behind you is a grille and headlights. I figured it was a chevy enthusiast and/or possibly a whacko. I downshifted to fourth gear and floored it to lose him. I slowed down to about 100mph again when I saw traffic ahead. Moments later the tahoe catches up and turns on his wig wags. So I pull over. I likely could have lost him if I wanted to but I don't play that game. I have too much respect for the law to do that.

Anyway he asks me to step out of the car and go over to his car. At this point I'm sitting in the passenger seat of the tahoe thinking my car is going to get impounded. Luckily I'm able to talk him out of it. I told him I was in the air force and that I want to pursue a career in law enforcement (which is 100% true) He called into the county that he pulled me over in to see if jail and impound is required. Apparently it was up to officer discretion. He asked me for my word that I was going to take care of the ticket and he let me go.

He was a young deputy so I asked him if it at least looked cool when I floored it. He said yeah, is that the Z06? I told him it's just a 'regular' C6 with air intake, exhaust mod and tune. I'm glad he didn't give me a ticket for 5% tint and illegal exhaust (since it was straight pipe). He was a cool cop overall. The ticket required a court appearance.

I already have a good lawyer and will be taking care of this issue sometime this year. Chances are I'll have to spend one day in jail for every MPH over 100. With is about two months jail time. :mad: She's going to try and make it one or two days jail. I hope jail isn't as bad as it seems on TV...
PM en route. I may be able to assist.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes 600 Coupe & 1995 500 Coupe, 2004 Yamaha R1 200hp 360 pounds
1,146 Posts
back in 2005 i was clocked in california going 145 in my 500 coupe...all I got was $1000 fine and 30 day suspension from driving but the worst part was the ticket stayed on my record for 6 years...I didnt know there was jail time now :(

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
They can give you attempted man slaughter with vehicle if there is a passenger in the car or if there is cars near you. They can also tow away the car suspend you license and put you in jail. Esspecially if its over 125mph.

·
Registered
'03 CL55
232 Posts
Saleen, You just made me not miss living in the U.S. anymore. In the 6 years I haven't been there, I forgot that you can go to jail for speed(And I am sorry for you). In here, the law says that if you go above 50 Km/h over the speed limit, you loose your licence for a month. If you go 80 Km/h above the speed limit, you loose your licence for 3 months. And anything above that sends you to court where a judge decides if you are licence-free for a whole year or more. The speed limits are absurd in here. 50 Km/h in the city, 80 Km/h outside and 130 Km/h on the highway.

However, given the fact that the officer is required to have 2 pictures of the car speeding and the driver's face, it is very easy for us to bypass these speed limits. At 210Km/h(about 130Mph), they don't have the time to take a picture of your face, so if they stop you, they take your licence and fine you and the next working day you go to court and ask for proof of you speeding. They don't have any, they give your licence and money back and you can also sue them.

Sorry to go off-topic!

In Eastern Europe you can give the cop some $$$ under the table and they will let you go, something that you cannot here in the States

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
They can give you attempted man slaughter with vehicle if there is a passenger in the car or if there is cars near you. They can also tow away the car suspend you license and put you in jail. Esspecially if its over 125mph.
None of this sounds particularly encouraging....

·
Registered
97 S500coupe. 97 sl320 2000 Corvette 1999 V star 650 Classic
701 Posts
Nothing good

None of this sounds particularly encouraging....
If you get stopped going 125mph in Calif I would expect you would be arrested, lose your license, they will confiscate/impound your car and you will be faced with a mandatory appearance before a very unfriendly judge who will then slap you with an enormous fine. In all likelihood your car insurance will be cancelled or the rate will be so high you better be independently wealthy. Hard to really quantify the overal expense.
Jan

·
Registered
4 Posts
CL600 W140 Speed Limiter

If you are having trouble getting more than 135mph because of a limiter could you fit a European ECU and bypass all the remapping bit - there is a guy called Carl who has a web site w140.co.uk and will happily supply one of these. I should think if you disconnect air pumps etc it will give you a bit more as well. I run a W140 CL 600 and they are one of the best cars out there. If you get a chance check out Mercedes museum and high speed run W140 CL 600 - YouTube the car went on to top out at 158 before traffic got in the way ! :)

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,269 Posts
If you are having trouble getting more than 135mph because of a limiter could you fit a European ECU and bypass all the remapping bit - there is a guy called Carl who has a web site w140.co.uk and will happily supply one of these. I should think if you disconnect air pumps etc it will give you a bit more as well. I run a W140 CL 600 and they are one of the best cars out there. If you get a chance check out Mercedes museum and high speed run W140 CL 600 - YouTube the car went on to top out at 158 before traffic got in the way ! :)
You do realize this thread is over a year and a half old?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts