Registered
2009 E63, 2000 ML430
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
The thing is about that site(and similar ones with the same kits), is that its been mentioned by users here(myself included) yet no one has bought one from any of them yet.

So, its more of a "buy at your own risk" scenario. I gotta say though, if one successfully buys a kit and installs it in their car, you can bet your arse a handful of users here would jump at the opportunity right away ;)

·
Registered
2009 E63, 2000 ML430
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm seriously checking it out. My front bumper has a tear on it from previous owner. So I need something to cover it up.
As I find more out, I will post.

·
Registered
07 GL 450, 00 E320 Wagon, 99 S500, 93 400E, 87 EURO Testarossa
139 Posts
I guess I am the first here, but yes, I bought the VIP body kit that is listed, but I bought it directly from RACEONUSA,

http://www.raceonusa.com/

not from this website. The people at raceonusa were fabulous, helpful, understanding, and worked with me through the entire process from purchase to finished product (i.e., installed and painted). For example, I was the first to advise them that the 140 bodykit was for a SWB and that my car was a LWB model. I took pics of the sideskirts being a few inches short and without any questions, they shipped me a 2nd set of sideskirts free of charge. The body shop had to custom make my side skirts by chopping a set and extending the other. The kit does appear large, but the body shop got it on and it looks great. They did comment that based on the many aftermarket bodykits that they have installed, this one was of a better quality than mosts. If anyone wants to discuss this in further detail, send me a pm.

ps - I suggest the Wald series, unfortunately, I did not know of them when I was looking, but someday I most likely will change my front cover to a Wald Exec.

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
Hmm, theres no Wald kit in there :(

Unless you were implying a Wald Kit in general, not necessarily from that site :p

·
Registered
2009 E63, 2000 ML430
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was referring to the kit VIS makes that looks similar to the WALD.

·
Registered
2009 E63, 2000 ML430
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to customer service and the VIP-2 kit (similar to WALD) is actually a "lip" or lower that will attach to the existing factory bumpers. Comes with sides as well, all for $862 and shipping was around $150.
So to me it sounds do-able for the do it yourselfer.
The only negative id that they cannot supply the driving lamps. On WALDS website, which looks like a match, they sell a "wireless" set.
I might check that out next.

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
I understand the side skirts and rear bumper, but how the heck can the front bumper be "just a lip?". The lower portion doesnt look like an add-on to the existing bumper? :confused:

·
Registered
2009 E63, 2000 ML430
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, I'm trying to figure that out myself. My 328is had an OEM M3 nose with a Reiger lower lip. But this is different. Where is the body line going to be? I'm really confused and I'm looking at other VIS "lip" kits to try to figure this out. You type "VIS LIP" on eBay and a lot of kits come up but I still can't tell where that body line would be on the front bumper.

·
Registered
07 GL 450, 00 E320 Wagon, 99 S500, 93 400E, 87 EURO Testarossa
139 Posts
you need to be careful, the lip kits I believe are not body kits, just lips that are attached to the stock bumper covers. The body kits are complete bumper cover replacements. Here are some pics for your reference to see how the body kits are complete replacements of bumper covers, if you want larger pics, pm me your email.

Attachments

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
Interesting. There's some kits in there that I have never seen before...

The random body kit threads lately has somewhat rekindled my interest in getting one. Unfortunately, I'm in the process of buying a new house so the w140 project will be halted for awhile.

If all goes as planned, I should be able to get a kit before this year ends. Until then, you potential body kit buyers keeps us updated :D

·
Registered
JP W140, Germany Imported W140(Fully Optioned), R230 SL600, W464 G500, W210 E320 Wagon
229 Posts
why purchase knockoffs? it just ruin your car's image. knockoff only work for those driving a honda or nissans.... support the real deal, if you cannot afford it, then save 'till you can.

btw, mhuck123, thanks for the info on that website.

·
Registered
2009 E63, 2000 ML430
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
why purchase knockoffs? it just ruin your car's image. knockoff only work for those driving a honda or nissans.... support the real deal, if you cannot afford it, then save 'till you can.
QUOTE]

With mine getting about 30-35K of highway driving a year, my cars have been pretty much diposable. On top of home remodeling and paying out the a*! for child support for my kids.....I choose to save a few bucks.

That's just me.......

·
Registered
JP W140, Germany Imported W140(Fully Optioned), R230 SL600, W464 G500, W210 E320 Wagon
229 Posts
With mine getting about 30-35K of highway driving a year, my cars have been pretty much diposable. On top of home remodeling and paying out the a*! for child support for my kids.....I choose to save a few bucks.

That's just me.......
but still, buying a knockoff is not right. just think about the time and man hours put into the creation of the kit by the original company, how will they get their money if you do not support them and instead you go ahead and buy a knockoff? it is the same concept as downloading music online, and the original artist will not be paid.

but that is just my .02cents.:surrender:

·
Registered
2009 E63, 2000 ML430
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
but still, buying a knockoff is not right. just think about the time and man hours put into the creation of the kit by the original company, how will they get their money if you do not support them and instead you go ahead and buy a knockoff? it is the same concept as downloading music online, and the original artist will not be paid.

but that is just my .02cents.:surrender:
I agree as far as ripping a company off. This company also owns Wings West which has been around since I can remember...91-ish so they are reputable enough for me and have quality products.

From their website:

"In the US Import tuning market, one company stands out among the rest: VIS Racing products. VIS Racing is the foremost manufacturer of Import tuning products and exterior styling accessories providing everything from body kits, ground effects, carbon fiber hoods, urethane body kits, carbon fiber trunks and hatches, spoilers and fenders. In addition to a well diversified line of products, VIS Racing also owns Wings West and Euro Creations.

VIS Racing became a well known company after several of its body kits were featured in the 1999 hit movie "The Fast and the Furious" starring Vin Deisel and Paul Walker. The Fast and the Furious feature several VIS Racing body kits such as the Battle Z body kit on the 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse shown in the opening scenes of the movie. In addition to that, the Wings West line of urethane body kits were also on display.

Perhaps the cornerstone of VIS Racings product line is the Carbon Fiber Hood. VIS Racing has taken a clear lead in the carbon fiber automotive parts industry by creating an extensive line of OEM style and vented carbon fiber hoods for most popular applications that feature grade A carbon fiber, vented induction ports, solid underbody skeletons and OEM latches"

They also make product for Ferrari so you can see this isn't a cheap eBay type of deal.

I'm sure WALD, Lorinser and others have recouped their ROI by now with the amount they charge. By now your paying for the "prestige" of owning their product. I design molds for a living and I know what it costs to manufacture the steel.

It's like an exhaust for a Corvette or Viper is 4 times higher than regular car.
It's the "well you obviously have money so we gonna take it" mentality.

I'd keep an open mind as far as this goes. If they were ripping anyone off, I'm sure they'd be in court already ordered to stop reproduction. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts