Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
My transmission is shifting erratically. Soft/delayed shifts with revs up to 3K. Rebuilt 3 years ago, serviced annually regardless of kilometres at a very reputable shop and the owner says the valve body is probably failing. I have a parts car and want to know if the valve body is interchangeable and is it a DIY job? Any other ideas/advic will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
600 coupe, one of the very first built
413 Posts
Valve body is (relatively easy to replace) - trans. pan need to be removed - but it has to be from a v8.
Another point worth making here - I don't believe the valve body, all of a sudden, can start misbehaving.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,109 Posts
You may need to replace the valve body gasket depending on how brittle the gasket is.

FYI, 722.3 valve bodies in the USA are no longer available from Mercedes...

Before I take the plunge, swap out this spring some 722.3s have one or two of these inside.

All the best,

Martin

·
Registered
1994 s600 coupe
1,039 Posts
the problem there is, your transmission was OVER SERVICED. there's no reason under the sun to change fluid/filter every year in a car transmission driven 10k-20k miles a year. and what probably happened, was inevitably some dirt gets introduced into the transmission, one spec of dirt the right size will jam a shift valve in the valve body !
having said that, your transmission acts just like one that would have a vacuum modulator hose off or leaking....I'd look there first on the outside of trans, or where the vacuum lines attach to engine.
if you pull the vac modulator line off an auto trans, it causes exactly what you are describing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts