Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!
I have got a problem with my W140.
When I push the pedal it won't rev above 4500rpm including some kind of sputtering.
Things that I've changed:
O²-Sensors, MAF, complete wiringharness (top and bottom), both throttlebodys got wired up, IAT-Sensors,sparkplugs, distributer caps- and fingers, ignition coils, knock sensors, intake manifold gaskets, breather tubing, fuel pressure regualtor.
I also rebuilt the tranny.

I don't know what to do...

I would be thankful for any ideas.

best regards
Rene

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Have you run STAR diagnostics/HHTWin? If so, what were the codes?

Several things come to mind: vacuum leaks, fuel pumps, fuel filter, crank position sensors, blocked catalytic converter(s), spark plug wiring, contaminated fuel filters, cam timing adjusters. But without doing diagnostics and looking at live data, you are just throwing expensive parts at it. If you own an S600, I consider owning STAR diagnostics essential if you are going to do your own repairs.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran SD and own it myself. In LH-Modules there are No faults, I also have perfect emissions (CO 0,001 HC 21) for that reason i can tell that my Cats are working fine. I Just can't connect to my EZLs.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
You don't see either EZL? That's strange since they use two different pins (17 and 18) in the 38 pin connector. Try using a blink code reader to read them to eliminate your SD being at fault. Have you checked the fuses in the Base Module at the back of the coffin box?

Do you have any faults from your EGAS module?

·
W140 Moderator
7,514 Posts
Usually loss of power "Uphill" would be Water in the fuel tank contamination . It wont give you a code for it . Looking that you changed almost everythink ,it's the only possible fault that come to my mind .
How much has the car been standing for & how much petrol is in the tank during that period ?.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everybody!
Thanks for your replys.
In Febuary this year i drove the car from Spain to Austria without any issues.
My car is year 94, so facelift but with pre-facelift tech-specs (LH-Jetronic).
EGAS works fine, no ASR light, CC works fine, smooth idle, everything as it should be.
I will try to take of the catalytic converters and drive the car, maybe they are clogged u somewhere in the middle.
Yesterday i checked them with an endoscope, they look fine.

regards
Rene

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys!
Shame on me, I checked the catalyric converters with an endoscope, the emissions are totaly fine..
But my catalytic converters are clogged, I took them off and drove the car, it revs up to 6500rpm smooth as glass.
So I will get them rebuilt an be happy ;-)
Thanks for your ideas and the input!

best regards
Rene

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Rene, Are Magnaflow catalytic's available there? I had the same problem with a '97 CL600. The dealer wanted $1200 EACH for replacements. Magnaflows were available for $250 each. Obviously I went with Magnaflow. Had no trouble in passing the "smog" test here in Kaliforniastan.
Anziani

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rene, Are Magnaflow catalytic's available there? I had the same problem with a '97 CL600. The dealer wanted $1200 EACH for replacements. Magnaflows were available for $250 each. Obviously I went with Magnaflow. Had no trouble in passing the "smog" test here in Kaliforniastan.
Anziani
I don't think so, I found a company in Germany that replaces the ceramic by metal catalytics. Price each $600.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey everybody!
I have got a problem with my W140.
When I push the pedal it won't rev above 4500rpm including some kind of sputtering.
Things that I've changed:
O²-Sensors, MAF, complete wiringharness (top and bottom), both throttlebodys got wired up, IAT-Sensors,sparkplugs, distributer caps- and fingers, ignition coils, knock sensors, intake manifold gaskets, breather tubing, fuel pressure regualtor.
I also rebuilt the tranny.

I don't know what to do...

I would be thankful for any ideas.

best regards
Rene

if you are trying to rev your car past 4500 sitting in park, that's because I believe they have a rev limiter on them. mine does the same thing when I flat board the gas in park, revs to 4600-4800 rpm and goes "dut-dut-dut-dut" and no higher. msot all cars have what's called a "2 step" rev limiter. it started as a drag racing add on, but now most if not all OEM's use them. one limit set lower for neutral and park, another limit set higher for in drive at high speed. it protects the engine. most if not all new cars are rev limited to prevent throwing a connecting rod through the side of the block. it saves the mfr. and dealer a ton of grief in warranty work, makes it harder for a owner to intentionally blow up an engine, just to get a new one free. connecting rods are not bulletproof, they are spec'd for a specific rpm level, and crank stroke. longer stroke stresses a connecting rod more, and has a lower rpm limit the longer the stroke is. so if this is happening in park, that's normal.
when installed on older American cars V8's for drag racing, they are used to stage the car on the line, holding a button on the steering wheel. when the button is released, the rev limiter is shut off, and the car also engages first gear instantly and it launches hard.
you can do that with your W140, flat board the gas in neutral, then drop it into drive, but upon engaging it will probably break the transmission. there was a guy who tried it and found out the hard way, and posted his results on the net years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts