Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=76017&item=4536512242&rd=1

Ahhhhh I want one of those!!!
Unfortunately, I don't have 225 Euro at the moment. Anyone on these forums have one? How useful is it? Just a nice gimmick to show off I am sure...although admittingly very difficult to come by, as it was a very rare, expensive option on our 126s.

If someone can snag it though for 300 Euros, that would be very reasonable.

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
They are not that useful for our cars since our cars display MPH. The trip computer is synchronized for KMH. They show things like KM/L and an estimated time for arrival, I believe. They are cool looking things though.. perhaps because its not a typical option you see.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,254 Posts
The trip computer is pretty much useless. As Snibble pointed out they show only simple stuff like current fuel consumpiton, average consumption, distance left on the fuel tank, running time, average speed, etc. Very simple early 80s computer.

The real nightmare would be to install one. You'd have to replace the instrument binnacle, replace the center console (the swithces for the computer are between the power window switches) and good luck in getting all the sensors hooked up and wired correctly.[xx(]

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Amazing! all the parts are there! if you want it, nows your chance. Damn, i'd get it if it wasn't already so expensive.

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aye, I know!

Too much $$$ for this high schooler, heh.

Seriously, If I had 300 Euros (probably more than that by the time it ends), I would give it a hard look.

However...I have timing chains and guide rails to replace [V]

·
Registered
500 SEC AMG, 560 SEL, 500 SL 6.0 AMG R129, CL 55 AMG Kompressor, 300 E W124, E 220 CDI W210, CL 500
781 Posts
it's a great oportunity to buy this rare option ! [:p], i dont buy it because i dont have the money in this momment ! [V]

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
Would it work on a 420 SEL?...how is the hook up?

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
What I'm most curious about is how it knows how much gas is left in the tank and how it computes Km/L (MPG). It would be relatively simple to wire if the ADC (Anolog to digital converter) method were known.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,004 Posts
What I'm most curious about is how it knows how much gas is left in the tank and how it computes Km/L (MPG). It would be relatively simple to wire if the ADC (Anolog to digital converter) method were known.
Since the cluster is replaced, I believe the fuel sender voltage is read and send to the TC.

I think I still have the schematics as I was going to install the unit I had, but as others have said, It's quite useless and is in German and kM/H.

Do you have one?

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
Do you have one?
Nope, just always curious about something I could create custom that would add a modern touch to the car yet maintain its classic appearance. For instance creating a display that goes where the outside temp display is that could be toggled to display mpg, temp, etc.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe - RIP
10,004 Posts
Nope, just always curious about something I could create custom that would add a modern touch to the car yet maintain its classic appearance. For instance creating a display that goes where the outside temp display is that could be toggled to display mpg, temp, etc.
I've toyed with the idea of replacing the entire cluster with a plasma screen with HUD and replace the ACC and radio panel area with an Android tablet. A/D converters for all of the inputs, and D/A converters to make everything move and work. But a lot of work, but easily doable, but I like the originality of the cars. I'm planning on installing the Sony 701 double Din unit as it interfaces with my Galaxy S4, so any app I have installed will run on the display.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
I've toyed with this as well and ended up installing the TC in my 560. It is functional but not accurate though neat to tinker with now and then. All I had to work with was the TC cluster and the console control switch. I did not have the TC brain box nor the wiring harness.

I had to make the entire wiring harness from scratch though and with the help from Dr.Grillz I was able to do it. As mentioned before it is totally useless on a US spec W126. For starters, it's in German and KPH.

The TC brain box has a micro chip on the back and is specific to a designated model such as a 500/560 for example. There are no special sensors as the TC gets the information it needs from the instrument cluster such as the input speed signal and fuel level gauge along with the ECU for Gen2. The TC also calls for a 2.65 rear diff ratio and I have a stock US spec 560 with a 2.47 rear diff.

The TC install was well worth the effort it took me to get it up and functional but this is not everyone's cup of tea though as for me it was a good learning experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts