Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with W126 transmission problems? My 1990 300SE transmission appears to overheat and start smoking sometimes if driven hard or in excessive stop and go traffic. Not a lot, but enough for me to notice. I have had it serviced (fluids & etc.,) and checked for leaks, but I still get a small amount of smoke along with a funny smell. The mechanic says there are no leaks and I constantly check the fluid level and it's Ok. One other thing, I Just started getting some slight hesitation on incline roadways after it has been driven at high speeds. Any thought's? (BTW, the smoke is white.)

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Where is the smoke coming from? Are you assuming it’s ‘overheating’ because of the smoke? What color is the ATF? Is the funny smell a burning smell?

·
Registered
2007 S550
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The smoke appears to originate from about midway on back. Around the rear passenger area. Checked the fluid and the level is good and color fresh. As far as the smell is concerned, its hard to describe,but I wouldn't say burning, but it does smell like some type of fluid is cooking or getting too hot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts