Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
SL 280 1993, 560 SEC 1988
67 Posts
Hello everyone,
I'm in the process of choosing steering wheel for my SEC and can't make up my mind. I have several variants, which one tastes better in your opinion?

The one that is on the car now is Lorinser, so far I'm leaning towards Brabus steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,104 Posts
Hello everyone,
I'm in the process of choosing steering wheel for my SEC and can't make up my mind. I have several variants, which one tastes better in your opinion?

The one that is on the car now is Lorinser, so far I'm leaning towards Brabus steering wheel. View attachment 2613740 View attachment 2613741 View attachment 2613739 View attachment 2613737 View attachment 2613738
Keep the Lorinser steering wheel.

It's period correct, quite rare and looks great in a W126.

The others you show either has the wrong wood, leather or styling that clashes with the interior.

It's your car, you can do to it whatever you want to.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,143 Posts
Are the 500's and 560's exactly the same as far as steering wheel fitment? I do not like the super boat sized steering wheel in my 500 SEC and would love to replace it with something smaller. No wood. I love the feel of leather.

Back in April I saw an AMG steering wheel with colorful center emblem on a 560 SEC that was clearly smaller and quite lovely. It might be the coolest wheel I have ever seen. Pic below from another thread. They are stupid expensive now so not something I can afford. :(

I am not into the Keonig or Lorinser wheels because I just don't like seeing the Keonig or Lorinser names in the center (despite the shape being superb).

My prior c126 was a 1987 560 SEC and had a smaller wheel from a 124 that I liked a great deal, but I don't know which 124 it came from. It was an airbag wheel and of course my current 500 is not an airbag car. There are a few on eBay with too many imperfections for my taste at around 175 to 250.

Anyways... I would be interested in purchasing a mint to near mint 124 wheel, minus the airbag (is that possible?), that fits the bill so if you have one that is compatible with my ride, let me know. I don't want to restore a wheel. I'm lazy. Well, busy is more accurate. If I have to "restore" it I know it will just sit in the trunk forever. My interior is really nice so a worn wheel would stick out like a sore thumb.

How I wish I could find this wheel right here without busting my bank account... :)

That is beastly. Perfection!!

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,681 Posts
The w220 wheel is the cheapest and best upgrade as the styling does not clash and flows well with the choice of all leather, or wood plus leather .

·
Registered
1981 300SD W126
84 Posts
It will bolt right on no problem. The horn ring should also line right up (that would be your main concern to make sure the horn contact ring on the bottom of the wheel lines up with the electrical contact on the column).

Even many late model steering wheels will physically bolt right on but the electrical connections will need a little bit of customizing.
The one pictured with SRS on the wheel and with the top and bottom in wood looks really nice. What model year range is that from and what does it take to install it on an 81 300 SD? Thanks!

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,681 Posts
Yes it’s a straight fit and the buttons can be customized to do anything you like - of course they aren’t plug and play . It would require custom wiring

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
445 Posts
how is the connection made from the steering buttons to a set of wires which can be connected to operate something if that makes sense

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,219 Posts
how is the connection made from the steering buttons to a set of wires which can be connected to operate something if that makes sense
There is a base or adapter that attaches to the steering shaft ad the wheel attaches to it.
On its bottom surface, there are concentric contact rings the horn button wires attach to.

Here are some generic pictures to illustrate.

From the 126 Parts Catalog, you can see part #104, the contact plate feeding power to the wheel horn buttons via the contact/contact slip rings.

MBL

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
445 Posts
ok thanks i understand but cant work out how eg 4 buttons would work would there be 4 separate rings to make the contact

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
1,903 Posts
They are all the same button just at different spots on the wheel. One horn and one button on 4 spots on the wheel.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,219 Posts
The horn buttons are wired in a parallel circuit.

With no button pushed, the horn circuit is 'open' or incomplete - current cannot flow.
Any one of the button switches can complete the circuit and current will then flow.

M

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
445 Posts
so they use the same circuit so if two buttons are pressed together none or only one will work

21 - 37 of 37 Posts