Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 Wagon
3 Posts
I'm dealing with rear window channel rust in my 84 300SD right now. It was poorly repaired at some point in the car's life but this time she'll get some new steel and get welded up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
919 Posts
Thank you for the videos impalaman. I try to get a chance to do this myself too this coming winter as other things are about to be sorted on my car. I do not think it is a bad thing to glue the piece on after the plates that remain are fixed and treated for rust. The previous attempt on your car failed to fix the rust and seal the glass, rubber gasket and chassis. How to make sure there is no bare steel/welds or burnt paint anywhere is the question. If that is even possible. Do you think you are going to braze the ends of the panel you took out?

·
Registered
2000 E320 Wagon
3 Posts
I'm unsure just yet. I'll know more in the coming days but at this point in time I am leaning towards welding. We'll see how it goes as I dig deeper.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,380 Posts
I'm posting again the rear window fix I did right after buying my SEC, the glass was leaking into the boot and while I don't know how bad the rust is in there (it's not as bad as others I've seen here) it has been arrested. I got a couple of tubes (I suppose you could use a gun) of black rubber RTV sealant, snipped the screw-on tip to the next smallest opening at a slight angle and then flattened it a bit. Carefully lifted the rubber glass seal to get the tube tip in between and went completely around the glass, any excess will ooze out. I then did the same between the window rubber and the paint. The car sat in my garage, and where I keep her parked, so the Summer heat could dry any moisture in there from trips in the rain (not many of those but if it rains while I'm out driving her . . . . . . ) Make sure there are no gaps in the RTV and a good bead is applied, any ooze can be cleaned up after it sets. I've had no water in the boot since doing this

Reactions: isthenew

·
Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
18,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I'm posting again the rear window fix I did right after buying my SEC, the glass was leaking into the boot and while I don't know how bad the rust is in there (it's not as bad as others I've seen here) it has been arrested. I got a couple of tubes (I suppose you could use a gun) of black rubber RTV sealant, snipped the screw-on tip to the next smallest opening at a slight angle and then flattened it a bit. Carefully lifted the rubber glass seal to get the tube tip in between and went completely around the glass, any excess will ooze out. I then did the same between the window rubber and the paint. The car sat in my garage, and where I keep her parked, so the Summer heat could dry any moisture in there from trips in the rain (not many of those but if it rains while I'm out driving her . . . . . . ) Make sure there are no gaps in the RTV and a good bead is applied, any ooze can be cleaned up after it sets. I've had no water in the boot since doing this
That definitely helped with my very rusty SEC rear window situation, for a while. I think the stuff I used started to get less good after a couple years. Definitely helped though!

For future readers, don't make the same mistake I once did and use bathroom silicone. So much rust!! Automotive stuff only.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,380 Posts
That definitely helped with my very rusty SEC rear window situation, for a while. I think the stuff I used started to get less good after a couple years. Definitely helped though!

For future readers, don't make the same mistake I once did and use bathroom silicone. So much rust!! Automotive stuff only.
Yeah, bathroom silicone likely has no UV protection. The way I applied the RTV it gets no direct sunlight and it actually "glued" down the window rubber to the glass/paint, so far no leaks, even with the multitude of car washings and the few times caught driving in the rain

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1991 560sel 1969 280SL
1,710 Posts
I had a perfect original rear windscreen and had it removed by a glass company. I took the Mercedes with the rear glass out and had bought the rear panel and rubber gasket/seal from Mercedes about 3 yrs ago. Carstar the body shop that mostly does insurance jobs and whose owner I’ve known since I’ve been in the business did a wonderful job. The catch is though the glass company when reinstalling the glass did not use any kind of silicone sealant at all. I only found this out two months after installation when the rear glass started fogging a little on the bottom corners. Consequently I had the windshield seal siliconed by another glass company, but the fog remains. I’d love to take a baseball bat to the knees of the installer if I ever met him again, he ruined a beautiful original windscreen because of his incompetence.

·
Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
18,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I had a perfect original rear windscreen and had it removed by a glass company. I took the Mercedes with the rear glass out and had bought the rear panel and rubber gasket/seal from Mercedes about 3 yrs ago. Carstar the body shop that mostly does insurance jobs and whose owner I’ve known since I’ve been in the business did a wonderful job. The catch is though the glass company when reinstalling the glass did not use any kind of silicone sealant at all. I only found this out two months after installation when the rear glass started fogging a little on the bottom corners. Consequently I had the windshield seal siliconed by another glass company, but the fog remains. I’d love to take a baseball bat to the knees of the installer if I ever met him again, he ruined a beautiful original windscreen because of his incompetence.
How annoying. I got extra sealant put in my SE, he warned me it could goop out somewhat for a while in warmer weather, butit didn't do that too much. I was pleased to see it was more like mastic tar stuff. I used some expensive stuff like that to refit my 2cv windscreen, it stays goopy a bit, awesome stuff and my windscreen (always leaked even after professional replacement in fact especially bad after them) literally doesn't leak a drop now.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
914 Posts
Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike

@ianrandom daily transport when living in London was a three speed from Exhibition Rd (SW7) to Hyde Park, around the Serpentine, across Park Lane to Grosvenor St. and the (then US Embassy). It was faster than taking the bus or driving. Once ,going along the Serpentine, I spotted my first mini-skirt. My head swiveled around, my bike continue right over the edge into the pond. Another time, a bobby stopped me for riding "no hands" and threatened me with a ticket, but they were good guys and he didn't Those were lovely days.

·
Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
18,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike

@ianrandom daily transport when living in London was a three speed from Exhibition Rd (SW7) to Hyde Park, around the Serpentine, across Park Lane to Grosvenor St. and the (then US Embassy). It was faster than taking the bus or driving. Once ,going along the Serpentine, I spotted my first mini-skirt. My head swiveled around, my bike continue right over the edge into the pond. Another time, a bobby stopped me for riding "no hands" and threatened me with a ticket, but they were good guys and he didn't Those were lovely days.
I'm a good boy these days, stop at traffic lights and everything 😊
Cycle to work is about 10 miles each way at the moment. I was ill recently and had to take my car, I was less than 5 minutes quicker in the car, and that's with some of the journey being out of town. Funny isn't it.
Cars in town make little sense to me, people are so bloody lazy.

Anyway, we digress 😁

41 - 57 of 57 Posts