Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

7821 - 7840 of 7907 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Lug bolts specs you are chasing are available brand new from US based supplier EZAccesory.com for $1.89 each
I use this supplier for all my lug bolt orders in various lengths and they supply correct MB Spec spacers /adaptors etc
Dear KRH, Can I ask you a similar question regarding a couple of small items. 1) the 1/4" screws (5) that hold on the chrome strip above the rear lock on trunk (560 SEL '88) with washer built in. (required vice grips to remove; rusted badly) want to replace with stainless.
2) jack plug, right front.
3) Jack
4) hood hinges, sunroof panel.

What's your recommendation for the little stuff? And what's your preferred path to finding body parts? Thanks, mainemercedes/ Doug Day

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Lug bolts specs you are chasing are available brand new from US based supplier EZAccesory.com for $1.89 each
I use this supplier for all my lug bolt orders in various lengths and they supply correct MB Spec spacers /adaptors etc
Double checking: happy to pay $1.89 instead of $6.13 but checking the way the length is measured. My car: 560 SEL '88. Happy to hear the recommendation works; checking length. Thanks, D Day, Maine

·
Registered
217 Posts
FS: AMG styled double snorkel air cleaner

Selling a complete dual snorkel with one hose, pretty much everything you need to make your car a dual snorkel, perfect for gen I cars that only have one snorkel, $300 + shipping, PM me
Solvent/cleaning material question: This is aluminum, right? Mine's pitted overall, but in good shape. Spent half an hour experimenting with Mother's and with a chrome polish. Any advice on restoring an air filter? Thanks, DDay

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
632 Posts
Solvent/cleaning material question: This is aluminum, right? Mine's pitted overall, but in good shape. Spent half an hour experimenting with Mother's and with a chrome polish. Any advice on restoring an air filter? Thanks, DDay
Yes, aluminum. Oven cleaner with burgundy/purple scotchbrite pad. This will make it look close to factory. Then, the Mother's, etc after this first effort has removed the pitting/corrosion.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,548 Posts
Yes, aluminum. Oven cleaner with burgundy/purple scotchbrite pad. This will make it look close to factory. Then, the Mother's, etc after this first effort has removed the pitting/corrosion.
Bear in mind the factory put a clear coat over the aluminum. If you're too aggressive with the cleaning, you'll cut through that and wind up having to do a full polish job and then I assume maintain the shine.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
632 Posts
So even the under the hood aluminum was anodized? It's so corroded now (black and white speckles) I assume the anodizing degraded since corroded aluminum presents as black particles when rubbed off.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,548 Posts
So even the under the hood aluminum was anodized? It's so corroded now (black and white speckles) I assume the anodizing degraded since corroded aluminum presents as black particles when rubbed off.
I'm only talking about the air cleaner. And I assume it was clear coat paint but maybe it was anodized. I had some pitting and clouding in an extra air cleaner and got too aggressive with the cleaning. I set the project aside because I didn't want to deal with removing all of the coating to get to the rest of the now exposed aluminum.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Bear in mind the factory put a clear coat over the aluminum. If you're too aggressive with the cleaning, you'll cut through that and wind up having to do a full polish job and then I assume maintain the shine.

Dear LuckyMike (as opposed to magic big daddy mike or Pirate Mike or Mad Mike) ... thanks for your concern. I assure you, I already chose to go the Too Aggressive Path of Idiocy knowing full-well that it would become a monthly if not a daily job unless I resprayed the air filter to maintain the shine. In the boat world we know full well how fleeting a good polish job is, esp. when hit with salt spray. So, on my 1958 Olin Stephens dorades (an invention for getting fresh air below decks, named after the boat of the same name Dorade), when faced with a pitted old spray lacquer job I took both dorades to a metal shop and had them strip all old coating off and polish them like fine silver. This lasted about five minutes, but was satisfying for all five of those minutes! Stuff like Neverdull is a prophylactic kind of chemical oil that we use on all metal surfaces on a boat, but when it comes to getting aggressive with aluminum I am glad to know that we consider Oven Cleaner a proven path. (I'm going to research what goes into that; don't breathe it). ((I use Dove on both bilge and dishes, so, go figure.)) So, I consider an aluminum air filter cover to be an "acceptable amount of idiocy" after the initial Too Aggressive impact. See also the cleat that is allowed to "go green" like a fine copper. If the aluminum had a patina that nice I'd happily let it go green; but going Black Pitted even on a rough car like my 560 SEL Escalation to Idiocy Project, I'm going to put the over cleaner to 'er, unless someone else improves upon it. Anyone? Thanks, MaineMercedes/ D Day

(The Before on the Kitchen Table dorades quickly become the After which shows two different alloys, one which goes red/brown and the vertical cylinder which is a cheaper brass alloy which looks still goldish.). If you think a car gets subjected to salt, try a boat. Unless, of course, it was all my Volvos and Mercedes under which the the tide came into the parking lot under a condo I was renting. Once a month on the full moon, get all your cars out! Renters in Camden, beware 52 Bayview St!

Attachments

·
Registered
'90 560SEL Blauschwarz/Black
42 Posts
I'm only talking about the air cleaner. And I assume it was clear coat paint but maybe it was anodized. I had some pitting and clouding in an extra air cleaner and got too aggressive with the cleaning. I set the project aside because I didn't want to deal with removing all of the coating to get to the rest of the now exposed aluminum.
I've been told that the air cleaner was covered in cosmoline from the factory.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,027 Posts
I thought this was a "buy/sell" thread?

·
Registered
91 300SE, 02 G500, 69 MGBGT Past: 00 S500, 84 300D, 99 E320, 07 E350
379 Posts
Hello, I've had plenty of MBs, but my first W126...FINALLY!! I'm searching for a few items and thought I would drop a line here for my 1991 300SE:

Rear View Mirror
Rear bumper upper chrome
Trunk chrome plinthe
Center console shifter wood surround (Zebrano)

Thanks to all!!
Regards, Doug M

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1991 560sel 1969 280SL
1,274 Posts
Hello, I've had plenty of MBs, but my first W126...FINALLY!! I'm searching for a few items and thought I would drop a line here for my 1991 300SE:

Rear View Mirror
Rear bumper upper chrome
Trunk chrome plinthe
Center console shifter wood surround (Zebrano)

Thanks to all!!
Regards, Doug M
I have the the rear bumper chrome new. I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
1984 500SEC AMG 5.4L "Das Model"
579 Posts
FS: Gen 2 passenger side corner Burlwood dash piece for cars with air bag, in great condition, has one hairline crack on left corner, no delamination-$20 + shipping

7821 - 7840 of 7907 Posts