Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Searched and cannot seem to find a great pic I ran across several month ago of a complete, CAT-less system with Tri-Y's
I am in Thailand and there are some very skilled stainless fabricators here and getting a custom SS exhaust is not that expensive. A pic however is a huge help when at the local fab shop.

I have the Try-Y's c/w downpipes and will be using the downpipes to copy in stainless tube with Lambada sensor bungs.
Is copying the factory downpipe the best method, or are there gains to be had with a different design? Labour here is cheap enough to fab a complete SS tube header (and I could sell the Tri-Y's) but I do not know enough about header/collector design.

I see both 2.25 and 2.5" tubing used. Is there a consensus on what yields the best results on a stock Gen 1 Euro engine with modern EFI and dual snorkel air filter?

Thoughts on a crossover or X-pipe after the headers? My experience on other non Benz V8 engines is that it is a good thing and do not see why this would be any different

A 2.5 dual in/out will be a special import according to the Magnaflow Dealer so I might have to go with a locally fabricated SS "copy", so end result and muffler configuration is a bit of a crap shoot.
Does anyone have the PN and can dimensions of the Magnaflow and Flowmaster dual in/out mufflers?

Performance single in/out mufflers geared towards Japanese cars, are readily available from Magnaflow, HKS, and Flowmaster, along with a host of copies, and two of these might be my best option

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,419 Posts
Awesome, nice to see a big advantage for you rather than just hassle. You might consider the intake too, recent thoughts are that the stock one is very restrictive. There may be a reason for that, but a lot more power seems possible with an intake redesign.

Regarding the muffler, member KRH may have posted up the part number some time ago on here.

I think the Tri-Y is a good design, but I saw a picture (again maybe posted by KRH) of a race prepared motor and the smoothness of the curves of the manifolds on that were beautiful, and that was a big power motor. Maybe you can improve on the factory design if you have easy fabrication there.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,029 Posts
In addition to above from Ian, here are some pics of the exhaust on my '91 500SEC.

Tri-Ys & downpipes, MB front pipe w X section, as can be seen: the kidney bean mufflers feeding a W126 REMUS rear section.

*Most, including myself, might argue the kidney beans to be quite restrictive by design. I used them both for exhaust system support and to have the exhaust sound deep mellow rather than quite loud. Goal achieved.

M

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,093 Posts
Look up my posts . I believe I send it to u before. Also read everything krh writes about his

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look up my posts . I believe I send it to u before. Also read everything krh writes about his
I am a Newbee to this forum and this is one of my few posts? Thanks for the reference and will read more about KRH as I must have missed the answers to my questions

·
Registered
5,093 Posts

down tips replaced with amg replica tips

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great pics - thanks.
Do you have a PN or dimensions on the muffler(s)

What size of tube?

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
everything 2.25

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
i cant figure out how to find my topics from before on this new system the forum uses...deep search me, from earlier this yr... i cant recall the numbers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts