Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,934 Posts
Gasp! Where did this happen? Did you pay Bosch or MTC money?
I'm leaning towards fcpeuro, I'd have to look deeper into my receipt folder so don't quote me yet. I ordered with the Bosch monovalve number and they sent an MTC. I did the boot swap today and the OEM plunger had a stronger spring pull (to keep the valve off the seat at higher rpm/coolant flow ?)

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Is it working now? (Mine is, on it's third season now!)
Well the valve I pulled from my parts car (OEM markings) is working perfectly, had to use the heat a little on the latest Memphis run last week. The original plunger with the MTC rubber boot is now the spare so I won't know for a while (I hope anyway)

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,283 Posts
For at least four years I have an insert from MB installed in my 560 monovalve without issue.. BUT... if I had issue with my heater as described by other posters here.. and KNOWING the MTC insert is total crap.. I think I'd be strongly tempted to just buy this EBay offering:

Mercedes 81-91 (W126) 300SEL 420SEL 560SEL Heater Mono-Valve w/Auxiliary Pump | eBay

Not only does it have a supposedly working MB factory mono valve, but a BOSCH branded Auxiliary Water Pump as well… All for a good price in my opinion…

Vent the coolant pressure, and just disconnect the mono valve electricals on your machine, undo the four screws .. you have the actuating coil & the insert in hand.. Swap em out… You'll also have the factory, albeit used, BOSCH Aux. pump to install later…

BTW: The MTC branded $50~65.00 Aux Water Pump is crap as well… Epic fail on my SEC earlier this year… Oh did I say it was on the 'road test too? It was a 'steamy subject' by the side of the road with the hood up…. AAaaarrrrgh..

Thats just my brain working'…

MBL

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 1984 300SD
73 Posts
Did you pay Bosch or MTC money?
I've been following this thread, as my 300SD is exhibiting the signs of poor monovalve performance (little heat at highway speed). My question is though, are there any new options other than MTC or URO crap available these days? I'd pay $100 for a Bosch, but I can't find one. It seems even reputable sources only offer those aftermarket options. If not, I guess I have to buy 3 MTCs and hope 1 works, then repeat every year?

·
4,283 Posts
Dec 2016 GENUINE MERCEDES Monovalve Inserts $50

.....My question is though, are there any new options other than MTC or URO crap available these days?

I'd pay $100 for a Bosch, but I can't find one. It seems even reputable sources only offer those aftermarket options. ........
In the modern world, $100 new Bosch mono valve inserts do not exist anymore.

$160 BMW [I am sure these are Bosch or equal quality.] inserts are available. The part number is 64 11 8 390 132....

Welcome to bavauto.com | Heater Valve Rebuild Kit - Genuine BMW

The Mercedes one 0008350644 is still available and is pricey. That said, it will give you positive results straight away, whereas frigging around with the MTC inserts will be nothing more than a futile spinning of your figurative 'wheels'. Figure, in round numbers here, MB to be about $100 more than the BMW offering...

MAGNET. HEATING WATER CONNECTION for 1987 Mercedes 560 SEC. #0008350644

As has been posted on these pages in the past, the 'rebuilt' / 'refurbished' mono valves are almost certainly sporting MTC internals... :/

Good Luck man.

MBL

*** UPDATE *** December, 2016

Mercedes IS making the insert once again and its $50. Best of all? It is good quality & works well right out of the box...

·
Registered
1986 560 SEL
1,491 Posts
A couple of years ago, when it came to light the MTC inserts didn't fit correctly, was exactly the time I began to have monovalve troubles.

I was working on some other stuff at the same time and was talking fairly frequently with the guy from Performance Analysis. He sold me a remanufactured Bosch unit for a pretty reasonable price.

I have no idea whether he still offers them, but a phone call to him will take a lot less time than replacing those aftermarket pieces of junk several times over.

Web site here: Performance Analysis | Climate Control | Diaphragms | Blower Motors | Pushbutton Panels | Vacuum Door Locks | Autotemp | Cruise Control | Engine Oil Analysis | Mercedes-Benz Parts | Mercedes-Benz Club of America | Oak Ridge | Car Care - ACC Version I

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,114 Posts
I'll say it again. If you have a genuine Bosch part that has failed due to a torn diaphragm, don't trash it or cut it apart. Buy the MTC part and swap the thimble with the rubber part onto your genuine Bosch spring assembly. Or, spring for the BMW part, which is not Bosch, but is reportedly functional.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 1984 300SD
73 Posts
In the modern world, $100 new Bosch mono valve inserts do not exist anymore.

$160 BMW [I am sure these are Bosch or equal quality.] inserts are available. The part number is 64 11 8 390 132....

Welcome to bavauto.com | Heater Valve Rebuild Kit - Genuine BMW
Here's a little something I've learned after owning BMWs: If BavAuto sells it, someone else (usually ECS or AutohausAZ) sells it (sometimes a lot) cheaper:

- https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/expansion-valve/64118390132/

Also, they claim to have the MBZ part number you referenced and list it as "Genuine Mercedes-Benz"

- https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mercedes-benz-parts/mono-valve-repair-kit/0008350644/

It makes me a bit nervous that the second link is only listed as a "repair kit" though. I wonder if that might only include the diaphragm, and not the spring and magnet? I'm tempted to purchase one and find out.

My only reluctance is that if it doesn't include the proper spring, it doesn't do me much good. I agree with John about the spring tension and am sure my car currently has an aftermarket valve installed (PO made sure to tell me it was recently replaced and it doesn't work well).

·
4,283 Posts
Here's a little something I've learned after owning BMWs: If BavAuto sells it, someone else (usually ECS or AutohausAZ) sells it (sometimes a lot) cheaper:

Also, they claim to have the MBZ part number you referenced and list it as "Genuine Mercedes-Benz"

- https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mercedes-benz-parts/mono-valve-repair-kit/0008350644/

It makes me a bit nervous that the second link is only listed as a "repair kit" though. I wonder if that might only include the diaphragm, and not the spring and magnet? I'm tempted to purchase one and find out.

My only reluctance is that if it doesn't include the proper spring, it doesn't do me much good. I agree with John about the spring tension and am sure my car currently has an aftermarket valve installed (PO made sure to tell me it was recently replaced and it doesn't work well).
OK good points you make here....

On the strength of your questions, I just got off the phone with one of the ECS sales staff.... We discussed whether or not the repair kit listed was in fact genuine MB and what in fact it comprised.

In late 2014, I purchased an 0008350644 'Lifting Magnet' from my MB dealership at a cost of $218.88 including state sales tax. It was an easy-peasy drop-in part the size of a lipstick and has worked flawlessly since that day.

I just confirmed tonight that ECS Tuning is selling the exact same part 0008350644 for an astonishing $45.xx ... !!

Its a drop-in part.. no futzing around... you get heat .. and at a VERY reasonable price.

Add another $6.00 of goodies to your order and get free shipping here in the USA. Dang!

I am incredulous with this news.

Thank you

MBL

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 1984 300SD
73 Posts
I just confirmed tonight that ECS Tuning is selling the exact same part 0008350644 for an astonishing $45.xx ... !!

Its a drop-in part.. no futzing around... you get heat .. and at a VERY reasonable price.

Add another $6.00 of goodies to your order and get free shipping here in the USA. Dang!

I am incredulous with this news.

Thank you

MBL
Fantastic news! Thanks for doing the leg work to confirm. I just bought one, along with my required weekly sacrifice to the ///Motorsport gods (I love that thing, but sometimes...) to put me into the free shipping category. I'll report back with results once I receive and install the part.

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,114 Posts
I've researched this extensively and, as far as I know, there no parts available other than the complete assembly most everyone sells, and the complete valve. If it costs less than $50 or so, it's almost certainly MTC. I have asked vendors specifically "is the part you sell MTC". They say no, but it turns out it is. I have amassed quite a collection in the course of my research. Most of them are guarantied. Either the terms of the guaranty make it impossible to get your money back, or no one bothers to call them on it, because they are 100% bad. I have yet to find a single post anywhere on any board that says the MTC part worked, even for a moment.

There is no magnet in the repair kit, just a lump of ferrous metal. The magnet is an electro-magnet and is not part of the repair kit. The spring is sealed inside the cylindrical part and cannot be replaced separately without special tooling to re-crimp the cylinder, The diaphragm is crimped onto the "thimble" (for lack of a better name) and also cannot be replaced by mere mortals without special tooling.

Sorry, but I don't believe it. Either they're mistaken (or flat out lying) or they're the worst marketing organization on earth, because they're selling the last of the available genuine MB parts for deep discount pricing. My money says, when you get it, it'll be Genuine MTC.

·
4,283 Posts
Hi John,

I hear what you are saying and your skepticism.. perhaps I might have done more than merely speak to ECS Tuning last night as well before posting this..

I have purchased a handful of multi item orders from them all this summer & fall and they have never let me down including an MB hardware kit for the W126 heater box door actuators that is posted on MB South Atlanta and other places for $140~ish and ECS Tuning price is just $55 and change.. to the door..

Mercedes parts nomenclature cites this kit 0008301233 as a 'Lever' and additionally the mono valve insert 0008350644 as a 'Magnet'.. Their descriptions are close enough for me though not literal translations/labels…

★★ That said & all, the thing that convinces me that they will supply quality is the fact that ECS lists three different 0008350644 Mono Valve Repair Kits on their site.. One is in fact is the MTC insert… Maybe the tides have changed in the consumers' direction this time, no?

As reference: https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/0008350644/

All I want is for those of us driving our MBs in the colder months is some stress free comfort behind the wheel. Maybe this will help.

Good luck all,

MBL

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,659 Posts
Good news if so. I'm still on my 99p replacement from a few years ago, working fine. (Used MB.) But I worry for when it dies. I have two of the buggers in each car too. (Duovalve.)

·
Registered
1987 560SL, 1984 300SD
73 Posts
My money says, when you get it, it'll be Genuine MTC.
I'm not taking that bet, but I share MBL's optimism. I've returned things to ECS several times, and the process is painless. On the off chance this might be a usable part, I think it's worth the risk of paying the nominal return shipping charge.

Like I said, I'll report back when I receive it. I'm hoping for MBZ but expecting MTC. If it is legit though, I might just clear them out before telling anyone and then sell them off to skeptical forum members for $90/ea :devil

Kidding aside, I'd love to have a couple spares on hand for the w126 and r107...

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,077 Posts
It is my understanding that the default position of the valve in the monovale is open, so that the surge of water does nothing in the full heat position. The valve is closed to reduce heat by the coil surrounding the insert, int the housing of the monovalve. Turn the thermometer control to lower heat increase current through that coil, and gradually closes the valve, against the flow of the current.
My problem is the complete opposite to everyone else. My problem is intermittent, on the lowest temp setting I'm driving along and the air coming out of the vents is at the desired temp (cool) then all of a sudden without warning it will get hot and stay there. So completely uncontrollable at times. Sometimes it's completely normal. If it was a vacuum pod it wouldn't be intermittent but points to a bad control unit or who knows maybe a bad monovalve, but just feels electrical to me.
Any comments ?

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
All I want is for those of us driving our MBs in the colder months is some stress free comfort behind the wheel.

MBL
I love my heated seats too, feels good on me back :grin

101 - 120 of 134 Posts