Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder how many here feel the same :-

For me, any journey in the W126 is an experience. It is more than simply driving a car from A to B. There is just something about the "feel" of this car, a combination of many different factors, but I think the most impressive thing about it is the ride (and that armrest and bonnet star !) After owning many different cars over the years including Jaguars and BMW's, nothing I have driven (except a W123) is built like this. This car just oozes quality from every orifice and there are so many things I constantly appreciate about it. Mine is 25 years old and still going strong, never misses a beat. Its like almost like an emotional experience. I just adore this car.

Feel better now thats off my chest........

INTJ.

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
For me it's the mobile palace as you go down the freeway at 110kph but feeling like your only doing 80.

All with the classic looks.

I'm amazed how many people watch it as I drive past and come up and comment when I'm stationary.

I'm obviously not the only one.

·
Registered
Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
1,296 Posts
tell you the truth i'm not too keen on the ride on mine, it's REALLY bumpy...to the point i'm thiknig something's broken in the suspension...not a fan of the heavy steering either but boy does it look good...

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,095 Posts
What always amazes me is when you're on the highway and you begin pulling away from the rest of the pack with ease. Then you realize the sheer power of Benz V8.

I'm do for my annual state inspection this month and will be getting some heavy Duty shocks installed to get rid of the boat feel. I'm about 400 miles from turning 200,000 on the odometer. And she's running strong and quiet. Will keep you all posted when I turn over!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
picklesam said:
tell you the truth i'm not too keen on the ride on mine, it's REALLY bumpy...to the point i'm thiknig something's broken in the suspension...not a fan of the heavy steering either but boy does it look good...

Hi,

Mine was like this so I replaced all 4 shockers last year. Like a new car again !

W126 should glide, not ride !

Cheers,

INTJ.

·
Registered
Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
1,296 Posts
INTJ said:
Hi,

Mine was like this so I replaced all 4 shockers last year. Like a new car again !

W126 should glide, not ride !

Cheers,

INTJ.
yeah i think i need to replace someting in the suspension...on the highway it;s great but the local roads are really bumpy

·
Registered
2005 W220 S500 4Matic / 2008 W211 E350 4Matic
997 Posts
Definitely a job for Bilstein Comforts. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference - until I discovered that the car had the ORIGINAL shocks in it with 162k miles on them! In retrospect, I don't know how I lived with it. The new shocks provide a huge difference in comfort and ride quality. I now don't feel like I have to replace my seat padding due to less harsh ride conditions, and I also have eliminated almost all of the annoying "leather creaking" most of these cars exhibit. What a phenominal improvement for a small sum and two hours' labor. Do it! Also, if your steering feels "heavy," it ain't right. Try replacing the steering fluid and filter, really thoroughly flushing all of the old junk fluid out. There's a writeup in one of the DIY links. Adjust the steering box while you're at it to center it and you will notice it. The steering on these cars is intended to feel solid and firm, but not heavy. These two repairs will make you feel like you dirve a NEW s-class rather than a bumpy old truck, I promise!

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
bumpy ride at low speed isn't too uncommon. your always going to feel more of the road from low speed. if you do alot of city driving, then consider dropping the pressure in your tires a bit.

heavy steering? new fluid, maybe an additive to make it butter smooth. and if you think your dampers need replacement, maybe your steering damper isn't too far off either.

·
Registered
167 Posts
W126's with tired front suspension bits will have rough rides. Clunking, shuddering, creaking, and generally a very stiff ride.

Also, body roll should be minimal. Assuming all shocks are OK, the steering damper could be well worn and provide you with the handling characteristics of a several hundred foot ocean liner making emergency maneuvers.

Most everything should be absorbed by the suspension, the car will feel like it is floating on air. Even over the harshest roads, you will be hard pressed to hear or feel anything. Its as if you were riding on a magic carpet.

The handling should not unnerve you either. Not in the slightest. You may be surprised when the tail end snaps out if you push against the adhesion limits. There is no body roll.

You will find yourself exceeding speed limits by 20 mph or more if you do not pay attention to your speedometer: Its very difficult to stay around the legal limit in a properly serviced S-Class.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,200 Posts
Prochambers said:
What always amazes me is when you're on the highway and you begin pulling away from the rest of the pack with ease. Then you realize the sheer power of Benz V8.

I'm do for my annual state inspection this month and will be getting some heavy Duty shocks installed to get rid of the boat feel. I'm about 400 miles from turning 200,000 on the odometer. And she's running strong and quiet. Will keep you all posted when I turn over!!!
How is that rebuild tranny?

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300SE
61 Posts
I first gained an appreciation for MB when I was in the Army and stationed in Germany on my first tour there in '88 to '91. Most of us had hooptys for airfield cars. We bought cars that couldn't make the TuV inspection, so they were junked or sold to soldiers. Cars won't pass the ridgid inspection criteria for relatively minor things, like visible rust, cracked side glass, etc. The car is 10 years old or so, and they just get a new one. Not economically repairable.

BMW's had weak back axles, especially the 3 series. And they'd smoke, squeak, clunk, bang, wheez and/or pop. Rusty, battered MB's would run, run well, not smoke, and over the tracks, you couldn't hear a thing. I had a new '87 Mustang at the time, and it rattled more than the '73 puke green bucket of rust with the Star on the bonnet that my buddy drove. And, it ran at a buck thirty on the Autobahn all day long, passing the idiot Americans who tried their hand at ridiculous speeds, and landing in the emergency lanes with smoked automatic transmissions on their Buick Regal 'hotrod' or POS Camaro Z28.

I hope MB goes back to building bullit proof autobahn gunships again.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
For me, it's the feeling I have a quality auto that you don't see every day. Not many SEC's here in NJ so I get looks and compliments all the time... Especially when I start it up in a parking lot and peel away. hehehe I can't tell you how many times I have heard... "What is that? I never seen one of those before... That's so cool!" Now that I have the wing and the body kit, it's even more unique... I love it. I also have it insured for 25k now. Insurance company didn't even balk at the idea once I sent them pictures. they said... "Sure no problem. 25k sounds good." Didn't even need it appraised. I love State Farm!

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,095 Posts
Teutone said:
How is that rebuild tranny?

No problems what-so-ever will be a year at the end of this month. Thanks for asking. I currently have 199,540 on my odometer as of this morning and she's running really good!!!

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL
617 Posts
I've always liked the wipers on the headlights. My friend said clean up the front end and get rid of the wipers and star on the hood -- NO WAY!

I love the star, it helps me keep the car straight on the road. LOL

The ride is amazing, but most of all its so quiet. I mean really quiet inside, can't even hear the engine, its amazing.

The funniest thing that happened to me on my cross country trip was being passed by an old couple in a jaguar. The woman was checking out my car!!! It was soooo funny. As they pulled away, she just smiled at me. I guess women are women, regardless of age.

Just thought it was amusing.

·
Registered
1987 300SDL. 1984 300SD
20 Posts
I completely agree that driving my Benz is truly more than just driving. I have only owned my 300SDL a month and I love it to death. Its not even starting and stuck in L.A and I love it because I know all I need to do is fix a part and it will run again for a long time. I must admit I am really disappointed that I put new tires on it when I could have fixed this part but I did not foresee it not starting. Murphy's Law anyone?

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
DslBnz said:
W126's with tired front suspension bits will have rough rides. Clunking, shuddering, creaking, and generally a very stiff ride.

Also, body roll should be minimal. Assuming all shocks are OK, the steering damper could be well worn and provide you with the handling characteristics of a several hundred foot ocean liner making emergency maneuvers.

Most everything should be absorbed by the suspension, the car will feel like it is floating on air. Even over the harshest roads, you will be hard pressed to hear or feel anything. Its as if you were riding on a magic carpet.

The handling should not unnerve you either. Not in the slightest. You may be surprised when the tail end snaps out if you push against the adhesion limits. There is no body roll.

You will find yourself exceeding speed limits by 20 mph or more if you do not pay attention to your speedometer: Its very difficult to stay around the legal limit in a properly serviced S-Class.
Maybe in a brand new S class - not in one that's 25 years old.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
I'm at both ends of the spectrum with my cars, a 300sd and a 500sel. I love both of the cars. Each of them relays the fact that they are fine cars without being overstated, well, at least from the drivers seat. This morning I went to work and took the 300sd on a 185 mile cruise and just enjoyed myself. The damned diesel will cruise 80-90mph (I was close to running late) and it is no effort to drive the car, and I prefer it for the long haul over the 500sel for two reasons. With the 500sel I can just look and blast my way through about any situation and I'm done. I want it done and it happens with all the power. The diesel though requires some thought and is almost like flying, looking ahead and using finesse. That's something that makes you and the car become more of a working team. Perhaps I'd get that same feel with the 500sel if I was working it at 110-140mph :) Again, you just feel like you have a proper car when you're behind the wheel of a w126

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEL 87'
165 Posts
Hmmm i dunno, my previous car was a Hyundai excel and the build quality of that car was far better than the W126 in my opinion. LoL Joking.......by the way i never owned an Excel.

·
Registered
167 Posts
p100 said:
Maybe in a brand new S class - not in one that's 25 years old.:rolleyes:
If your suspension bits are 25 years old, its time for a refreshening. There is no perceptible difference in ride quality between old and new S-Class if everything is 100%.

If yours does not perform this well, it is not at 100%. This is fact. You can't compare a tired older car to a brand new anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts