Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300SD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, twice I've almost become stranded because of an inability to turn the ignition with the key.

I'm fairly sure my master key isn't worn. It doesn't look it and also I found a receipt from the previous owner for a new one only a year or two ago. So I need a new lock cylinder.

I know to get one that matches my key(and I wouldn't mind a spare key along with it) I need to go through a dealer right? Well the only dealer I know of is about 90 miles away. Are there possibly service centers that will sell me the part that are closer? Anyone have an online search for that? I'm in Eau Claire, WI. Also, how much do they cost? If it's some ridiculous amount like $100+ for a tumbler and key I may just go aftermarket and deal with having 2 keys.

I can get an aftermarket one for $35 + shipping. I did notice that the part description says "Lock undefined" anyone know what that means?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,096 Posts
Ok, twice I've almost become stranded because of an inability to turn the ignition with the key.

I'm fairly sure my master key isn't worn. It doesn't look it and also I found a receipt from the previous owner for a new one only a year or two ago. So I need a new lock cylinder.

I know to get one that matches my key(and I wouldn't mind a spare key along with it) I need to go through a dealer right? Well the only dealer I know of is about 90 miles away. Are there possibly service centers that will sell me the part that are closer? Anyone have an online search for that? I'm in Eau Claire, WI. Also, how much do they cost? If it's some ridiculous amount like $100+ for a tumbler and key I may just go aftermarket and deal with having 2 keys.

I can get an aftermarket one for $35 + shipping. I did notice that the part description says "Lock undefined" anyone know what that means?

Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.
Be very careful with continuing to remove your key. The symptoms you describe usually happen just before the ignition freezes up, makes a DIY nearly impossible, and can cost a small fortune.

Please click 'User CP' on the top tool bar, and complete your profile with a location and model of your car.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice. MB produced different, and region / Country specific versions of our cars.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 560 SEC Cabernet Red-Palomino-18" AMG Monoblock Staggered-Eibach lowered-Remus-Tri-Y's
149 Posts
Call a Mercedes Dealer and see if you can fax some paperwork to verify ownership. Have them mail to you a new cylinder/key for appx. $100/125. Failing their coorperation go to MBUSA website-find classic center near L.A. and have them do it. All keys are cut in Dallas or Houston but must be ordered officially. Mercedes has always been mindful of those not near a dealer and accorded special services. I would use nothing but MB part here. An aftermarket may get stuck and you are then SOL. Dealers charge about $900 to remove a stuck tumbler so I would take no chances.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts