Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over time, I’ve had interesting European cars since 1966 and many of them were/are trimmed in leather.

My question is regarding my late 80’s and ‘91 SECs and leather care.
Neither is totally dried out / cardboard condition BTW.

Both have code 265 leather Mushroom Beige I think. They need cleaning/feeding/protection.

I just now have the rear seats out of my ‘91 & am wondering best cleaners. Best conditioning practice please.
Over time, things change from Saddle Soap/Lexol/ LeatherWipes.. etc

Longevity is the idea here
Great looking longevity of course!

Where are we now?

Many thanks

M

IMG_5724.jpg

·
Registered
90 420SEL, 00 BMW X5, 00 Lexus RX300, 01 Chrysler Town and Country
349 Posts
The best leather care products are from Leatherique. Enthusiasts in the Jaguar and Rolls Royce world use it. Google it. Use their Pristine Clean and Rejuvenator Oil.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,449 Posts
Bag balm. It was literally created to keep cows’ teats supple and clean when subject to daily milkings.

·
Premium Member
1989 300SE, 1989 560 SEL and 1985 280SE Euro
403 Posts
M, plus one on leatherique. It’s a 2 step process. Step one
Over time, I’ve had interesting European cars since 1966 and many of them were/are trimmed in leather.

Both have code 265 leather Mushroom Beige I think. They need cleaning/feeding/protection.

I just now have the rear seats out of my ‘91 & am wondering best cleaners. Best conditioning practice please.

Where are we now?

Many thanks

M

View attachment 2639961
plus 1 on Leatherique.. It’s a 2 step process and if your not rushed you will be rewarded with supple great smelling and feeling leather that is properly preserved. Slather on the rejuvenator oil wearing some latex gloves. Really get in there rolling and kneading. For the seats that are out of the car, you’ll want to put them back in and let them ‘bake’ with the car in full sun. After a few hours you’ll see the dirt, sweat etc from the seats actually bead up into the surface. Now you clean the seats with prestine clean. Be prepared to happily sacrifice a few Microsoft towels. (Kirkland brand yellow ones are my favorite). Once dry, buff the leather to that gorgeous satiny finish. Yearly maintenance with the prestine clean is all you’ll you need most likely.

Where are we now?

Many thanks

M

View attachment 2639961

·
Registered
1981 300SD W126
106 Posts
Bag balm. It was literally created to keep cows’ teats supple and clean when subject to daily milkings.

How have you used it on the leather, please elaborate and how successful have you been in getting dried leather subtle and soft again with it. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,449 Posts
Bag balm is super easy. I’ve used it to restore and maintain 3 Floridian r129’s. And my w126. And my MX-5. So four Floridian convertibles. And I’m still on my first $9 can of the stuff.

The first time I wash the leather with a little dish soap and warm water and a sponge. Then rinse it with a warm, damp towel. Then let the leather dry.

Then I use a soft rag to apply bag balm to the leather. You want it to feel a little slick, almost like when you put on chapstick (they promote it as a lip balm). And leave it for 24 hours. The bag balm soaks into the pores of the leather. This restores leather the same as a skin moisturizer. It becomes supple, cracks ease, stretch, close. The leather returns to its natural shape, resilience, water resistance, etc.

If the leather isn’t soft in 24 hours, I’ll add another coat. Repeat as needed. I think I did 3 coats one time.

The leather absorbs a good deal the first time. But after that, just a wipe down every 3 - 6 months and let it sit for 24 hours is all I do. I don’t even clean beforehand. Unless there’s a pen mark or something.

My w126, the first time, it took more than all the r129’s combined. But now, a light coat every 6 months. Just did it last week. Took 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1981 300SD W126
106 Posts
Thanks for sharing the details on the Bag-Balm.
My 1981 300 SD. Lapis blue with palomino MB Tex, 67k miles, all original. View attachment 2636710
Bag balm is super easy. I’ve used it to restore and maintain 3 Floridian r129’s. And my w126. And my MX-5. So four Floridian convertibles. And I’m still on my first $9 can of the stuff.

The first time I wash the leather with a little dish soap and warm water and a sponge. Then rinse it with a warm, damp towel. Then let the leather dry.

Then I use a soft rag to apply bag balm to the leather. You want it to feel a little slick, almost like when you put on chapstick (they promote it as a lip balm). And leave it for 24 hours. The bag balm soaks into the pores of the leather. This restores leather the same as a skin moisturizer. It becomes supple, cracks ease, stretch, close. The leather returns to its natural shape, resilience, water resistance, etc.

If the leather isn’t soft in 24 hours, I’ll add another coat. Repeat as needed. I think I did 3 coats one time.

The leather absorbs a good deal the first time. But after that, just a wipe down every 3 - 6 months and let it sit for 24 hours is all I do. I don’t even clean beforehand. Unless there’s a pen mark or something.

My w126, the first time, it took more than all the r129’s combined. But now, a light coat every 6 months. Just did it last week. Took 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEL
109 Posts
I've had good success with Leatherique as well.

And, on the suggestion of someone else, I tried Leather Honey recently. Very similar process to Leatherique, and I think it worked just as well. It's a bit less expensive and ships from the US.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,394 Posts

ive bought this kit, its pretty good, but u have to search their UK version

there is an american brand with same name but i was told by the uk one they are not the same company... who knows tho

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ALL for your great suggestions & contribution!

M

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Leatherique. It's amazing. Some of our Bentley leather was like cardboard and it even sorted that. I don't use anything else since using it first a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,212 Posts
I use Leatherique as well.

Other products works too. One of my old neighbors picked up a 1930's set of golf clubs and leather bag at a yard sale. The bag was absolutely parchment dry. He put the whole thing in a black plastic bag and poured 5 quarts of dino motor oil in it. Cinched the bag close and let the golf bag soak up the engine oil for about 10 days. After a thorough wash with saddle soap, he had a very nice and supple antique golf bag. I was pretty amazed.

Reactions: isthenew

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
That is amazing with the oil
I would seriously worry about it having a rotting effect. Dyno oil is fully synthetic though isn't it?

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,014 Posts
If you have money to spend leatherique is the way to go

bag balm is a cost effective second option

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,212 Posts
Doesn't the term 'Dyno' refer to 'Dino' or dinosaur/petroleum vs synthetic...?

M
Yup!

He specifically mentioned that he used conventional motor oil, nothing synthetic.

Reactions: isthenew

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,322 Posts
Oh wow. I literally always thought it meant for use on the dyno for maximum power. Haha, doh 😂

1 - 20 of 46 Posts