Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML350
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
My instrument cluster went dead yesterday. I checked under the hood and found a buszzing relay in the fuse box. the MB number on it is "201 821 00 47"
12V/2(4)x21W and Max .6x32cp
Also with markings:
DOT SAE
J590e/945b
I live in McLean, Virginia does anyone know of any sources in this area? I found one on ebay, but the guy is in England.
Thanks

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Is it one of the ice cube relays or a different one? I'll look tonight when I get back home, I've got a whole fusebox apart sitting there with all the pieces.

·
Registered
2003 ML350
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Relay

Is it one of the ice cube relays or a different one? I'll look tonight when I get back home, I've got a whole fusebox apart sitting there with all the pieces.
-----------------
Hi,
It is a Black relay looking at the top of it it is 1"x3" and 2 1/4 tall with the markings I listed in my post.
Thank you

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Okay, I should have that. Was actually looking at them last night looking for a different relay. I'll get back to you tonight.

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
I've got two of these...

·
Registered
2003 ML350
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does the multi function relay that controls wiper delay operatin and turn signal also operate oil pressure, fuel and temperature gauges as well as the dreaded seatblet buzzer? I looked up the manual there is no mention of gauges for this relay. I'm wondering if the car has developed multiple problems. When the gauges went dead I only found the multi function relay in question buzzing. can anyone shed some light?
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
The relay's not the problem. Don't waste your money. I bought one, replaced it and it made the same buzzing noise. I also put my relay into another 126 and it worked fine in there. Basically what we have is a bad connection somewhere. The techs tell me there's a relay behind the instrument cluster on the same circuit as this relay so I'm gonna take my cluster out at lunch. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Soooo, I thought it might be a good idea to go through my fuse box once again before I ripped my cluster out. I'm glad I did. Earlier I looked at all my fuses, without taking them out. Funnily enough, these piece of garbage ceramic fuses can burn through anywhere and min just so happened to burn right throught where it makes contact with the contacts... Anyways, my problem is gone and I suggest you check all your fuses very carefully for burns or rust or what have you. It saved me a large bill at the dealership, I assure you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Need HELP!
I have 1991 350SD I left the ignition key on a minute too long before I started the car.
" Instrument cluster went dead". Non of the gauges work. Cruise control dead. Lights,turn signals, heater, clock & radio all work.
Looked into the fuses they seem OK. Relay is buzzing just the MB number on it is "201 821 00 47" just like Ken D? Should I replace it? What did Ken Do?

Help! any leads? Thanks

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,670 Posts
Need HELP!
I have 1991 350SD I left the ignition key on a minute too long before I started the car.
" Instrument cluster went dead". Non of the gauges work. Cruise control dead. Lights,turn signals, heater, clock & radio all work.
Looked into the fuses they seem OK. Relay is buzzing just the MB number on it is "201 821 00 47" just like Ken D? Should I replace it? What did Ken Do?

Help! any leads? Thanks
Welcome to the forum.
Please complete your profile with the car mod and location, by clicking 'User CP' on the top tool bar, to make it easier for members to offer advice.
There are some differences between the Euro grey import, and the US spec cars.
The forum archive has a wealth of information available at your finger tips.
Please make sure to carefully read the 'Welcome to the Forum' announcement / tutorial sticky on top.
It will show how to run a forum search (needs words of more than 3 letters), etc., and save you, and others, valuable time.
Also, the service manual sticky lists all the pdf files. If you post with the request for a specific file(s), someone will post it for you.
Cheers

·
Registered
1999 CLK 430
17 Posts
Please can someone tell me and explain how to pull cluster out and locate cluster relay and part # and where i can find. All my gauges went out no rpm,gas, speedometer,temp gauge need to replace . Also if someone has fuse chart for 1989 560sel. Thankyou all in advance. jdsilver560sel

·
Registered
1982 280 se aut. ecc. - sold
1,607 Posts
Welcome please (re)read the welcome announcement.
It will tell you how to do a forumsearch and how and why to fill out your profile.
Fuse legenda is in the archives. Probably in the DIY.

gr J

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon, 147,000 miles, 3.2 liter; 1992 500SEL 123,000 miles 5.0 V8; 1987 300E 136,000 miles
10 Posts
I had the same problem with my relay! I read the feed and went out and bought all new fuses, went back to the car and installed them, turned on the key and noticed the buzzing wasn't there and my baby started right up. Very cheap and easy fix! Don't buy the relay until you try replacing all the fuses!!!

·
Registered
1995 E300D, 2001 ML320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery SE7
14 Posts
For sure check fuses -- #5,6 and 9 on the 1995 300 series. The fuses may look fine -- pull them out and test with meter (sounds crazy, but they fail in non-obvious ways.) TIP: pull each fuse, one at a time, and clean fuse tips with scotchbrite and replace -- will keep fuses from heating up (due to high contact resistance) and failing. Do this for ALL of the fuses.

The relay controls voltage to the starter as well as instrument cluster, so a failed fuse can manifest as a car that won't start, in addition to the abnormal buzzing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many thanks to those who contributed to this thread. This morning I was ready to order the relay, complete with overnight shipping charges when I reviewed the matter. I replaced all the fuses with ones I had on hand and everything is now - no buzzing in the relay and the car works.

The car by the way is a 124, a 1993 300TE but the same trick saved my bacon. THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts