Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you find your 126 in the snow? I normally cycle about unless long journeys, but last year i ended up diggin out my 126 due to fear of getting squashed by an unskilled car driver.. I ended up surprised at how it got about, so much better than i expected.
This weekend in the UK there was lots of snow and i ended up doing a 9hr journey that normally takes 2 hours. Trusty Merc pushed its way through everything where lots of small front wheel cars were spinning their wheels wildly and sliding off sideways. Lorries sliding sideways towards me. I have to say i'm quite impressed. I've got brand new tyres on the back which probably helped a lot.
I still have to get back home yet though..

·
Registered
1984 380sl, 1988 300ce, 1988 420sel (gone)
546 Posts
I'm surprised you've done as well as you have though I suspect those new tires are helping you. My experiences is that you need snow tires and a light foot on these cars if you get more than a dusting of snow.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
I find the council getting off their arses and gritting the roads works wonders......or it did last time I saw a gritter!

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,321 Posts
Metal studded tires and four bags of sand in the trunk make a lot of difference. I have some dedicated snow vehicles, but it is nice to get home from work if the SHTF.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah yes weight in the back. Did have a full tank of fuel too, enough drink and food in case of an overnight car stay.. But not a lot else apart from my handy shovel. Worked a treat on last years glass-like frozen snowed on surfaces. This year havent had to use it yet. Also some old blankets for traction but never had to use that ever.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
I find the council getting off their arses and gritting the roads works wonders......or it did last time I saw a gritter!
^^^^

Could someone please translate that into Merkin english?

I have NO idea what he is saying.

·
W123 Moderator
78 450 SL, 84 500sec (Euro), 94 E320 Wagon and 85 500 SEL (Real AMG, 5.4, Pentas & Body Kit)
797 Posts
^^^^

OK Jim, I will try.

Will the lazy people who currenly are in the employment of the city, please take their fingers out of their asses and get out and plow the roads. Where are all the snow plows and trucks that do gritting etc.

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,321 Posts
Ah yes weight in the back. Did have a full tank of fuel too, enough drink and food in case of an overnight car stay.. But not a lot else apart from my handy shovel. Worked a treat on last years glass-like frozen snowed on surfaces. This year havent had to use it yet. Also some old blankets for traction but never had to use that ever.
I use play sand bagged for kids' sandboxes. Very clean, very dry. And, in a real jam you pull out a bag and spread it under the wheels. In the Spring it goes in the garden.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK Jim, I will try.

Will the lazy people who currenly are in the employment of the city, please take their fingers out of their asses and get out and plow the roads. Where are all the snow plows and trucks that do gritting etc.
Heh, that made me chuckle :)

Wilson1010 i'm liking the sand thing, i might have to pick some up.

·
Registered
1994 E420, 1997 SL500, 1991 300SE
20 Posts
I just put a set of 4 Nokian Hakkapalitta (sp?) WR g2 on my 1991 300SE and with the 3-4 inches we had here in Virginia the car tracked dead straight and was pretty much impossible to have the rear wheels break loose. All I can say is WOW, I know I'll be getting another set when the time comes for the W124 as well as the R129.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
^^^^

Just got home from the pub, the bitter blues got beat:) Do you need that translating as well? .....Apart from that thanks to all the people who translated very nicely for me.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I just put a set of 4 Nokian Hakkapalitta (sp?) WR g2 on my 1991 300SE and with the 3-4 inches we had here in Virginia the car tracked dead straight and was pretty much impossible to have the rear wheels break loose. All I can say is WOW, I know I'll be getting another set when the time comes for the W124 as well as the R129.
I have that same tire (without metal studs) on my 300TE. 200 pounds of ballast over the rear axle (the wagon is a little light in the rear it seems to me) make it very effective in snow and ice. The tire is very remarkable.

·
Registered
320Cdi 560SEL S500
175 Posts
How do you find your 126 in the snow? I normally cycle about unless long journeys, but last year i ended up diggin out my 126 due to fear of getting squashed by an unskilled car driver.. I ended up surprised at how it got about, so much better than i expected.
This weekend in the UK there was lots of snow and i ended up doing a 9hr journey that normally takes 2 hours. Trusty Merc pushed its way through everything where lots of small front wheel cars were spinning their wheels wildly and sliding off sideways. Lorries sliding sideways towards me. I have to say i'm quite impressed. I've got brand new tyres on the back which probably helped a lot.
I still have to get back home yet though..
I tried it here on the 'Island' on that Thursday, and again with the 140 last Saturday - My 126 just sat there on the small slope out of my drive just wheel spinning, snorting and growling away, much to the amusement of the kids who were having a snowball fight nearby!

All I accomplished was to polish the snow into a hard packed ice - probably due to the phat 275's I have on the back!

The 140 was just as bad - but with the ASR interrupting my fun :mad:

So I decided to jump on my normal commuting mode of transport (GT Avalanche 1.0 as the fuel is cheaper! - ahem!) :)

Attachments

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it just got me home okay too, and i have to say i'm very impressed. It looks a sorry state now, no point in washing it though, lol..

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes Benz 300SD
380 Posts
I go everywhere sideways in my SD. And I love it :D powerslide on any corner. RWD can be tricky sometimes. A couple of weeks I did a 360 fortunately I was driving so slow. I added some sand bags in the trunk. Now it handles a bit better.

·
Registered
1991 w126 420SEL, 1986 w126 Euro 560SEC (option 822), 2000 E55, 2003 E55, 2003 SL55
512 Posts
78 and sunny here. Car drives great in our winters.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts