Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88,560 SEC & SEL Euros, 06 S-500, 06 SRT8 Magnum
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is realy sad? driver instantly killed. The editorial that was written specified the driver was speeding and failed to negotiate an S curve? HEAD ON CRASH the party of the other car is in serious condition and may not survive!! It has'nt been determined whom was driving the MB? London Free Press London On Canada March 23 2005.

MBGary

Attachments

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Thats a W124.

·
Registered
88,560 SEC & SEL Euros, 06 S-500, 06 SRT8 Magnum
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zazeem

The point is this is the first time that I'm aware of a serious accident involving a w126 where there was a bad outcome. I noticed you don't own a car why are you on this forum????

MBGary

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
Well, don't we already knew that if you hit something hard, it's nasty no matter what car you're in. Even the mighty W140 could not save Princess Diana and others.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 500SEC
221 Posts
MBGary- ITS A W124! not one of our W126s!! besides, everyone knows the 124s bodies arent as "tank-like" as out 126s. So it souldnt affect you in :

"The point is this is the first time that I'm aware of a serious accident involving a w126 where there was a bad outcome. I noticed you don't own a car why are you on this forum????"

[:)]

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
H-Townbenzoboy & joelsc are right... it's an E-class not an S-class.

tw

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
dtkw - 3/25/2005 8:51 PM

Well, don't we already knew that if you hit something hard, it's nasty no matter what car you're in. Even the mighty W140 could not save Princess Diana and others.
It was initially reported the Mercedes that crashed with Di in it was an S-Class, but from what I remember, it was the C-Class Mercedes that crashed - they used the W140 as a decoy for pestering paparazzi while she and her company set off in a smaller Mercedes hoping to slip out incognito.

W124, W126, regardless of chassis, it is sad to see a wrecked Mercedes, and more so to hear about human casualties.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
naomilla - 3/25/2005 9:50 PM

It was initially reported the Mercedes that crashed with Di in it was an S-Class, but from what I remember, it was the C-Class Mercedes that crashed - they used the W140 as a decoy for pestering paparazzi while she and her company set off in a smaller Mercedes hoping to slip out incognito.

W124, W126, regardless of chassis, it is sad to see a wrecked Mercedes, and more so to hear about human casualties.
no, that's not right. it was an s-class (w140) -- i remember when it was being loaded onto the flatbed after they scraped it off the tunnel walls. if i remember correctly from footage of di getting into the car, it was a lower-end model (300SE or something like that). in any case, part of the reason di died was because she wasn't wearing her seatbelt and suffered internal injuries from slamming against the front seats. that, plus the f*cking paparazzi all stood around like the a**holes they are and took pictures of her instead of helping. the bodyguard who was sitting UP FRONT survived b/c he was strapped in. so i think the car did as much as you could reasonably expect it to do to protect its occupants.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
It is a w124 – note the roof track, the C pillar, and the rear window. I’d like to think a 126 would hold up better. The 124 design dates from a time when DB was designing and building strong cars but it’s also possible to achieve the new, more modern look some strength and rigidity were lost – I can’t see a 123 or 126 disintegrating like that.

In any event, as noted above, the driver and passengers must wear seatbelts for the design to do its job. In the case of the car Gary posted the driver was going too fast for road conditions – if you don’t wear your seatbelt or if you drive like a crazy person, you are to blame for what happens, not the car.

·
BenzWorld W124 Host
1993 300E 3.2L 24V
1,088 Posts
I agree that it's a W124, and W124s normally hold up very well in accidents (it's one of the reasons I bought mine) but that driver had to be flying. Remember, forces add up. If he was doing over 50mph and the other driver was doing around 40mph, the average US speedlimit for normal roads, that's the force of hitting a wall at almost 100mph. That'll mess up any car pretty good.

Head on collisions are the worst, I have been in one in my life. Hopefully I'll never be in one again. Drunk driver crossed the center line. Driver of the car I was in never saw it coming. One of the most bone jarring accidents I've ever been in.

-Tubs

·
Registered
719 Posts
These are the worst crashes I've seen to a W126.

Structurally, these cars are tanks. But, that doesn't mean the occupants live.

I'm sorry...In my 7 years of being a W126 diehard web-junkie, I can't find anything structually piercing. You would think that a car, is just a car,....Right? Ridiculous.

·
Registered
28 Posts
MBGary,

I have 8 cars in my collection(1 Benz), 2 tractors, 1 bike, and have a C.I.(Cylinder Index) of 60 (an outstanding 174% of my age) but don't list any of em in my profile. None listed does not equal none owned. Sorry, just my two cents, but, You don't have to own a MB to apperciate or know anything about them.[:)]

·
Registered
Perlmuttgrau 300SEL
1,006 Posts
well, its still sad to see someone die on the roads regardless of marque.

However, since its early on the year, and i dont think any of us have been turned into a statistic yet, perhaps we can use this to serve as a reminder to always wear our seltbelts. I know its second nature for me to strap in as soon as i get into the car, but im just hoping that all of you understand how much your chances of survival are improved by having one. Its just that I seem to be hearing more reports (in my state) of deaths where people arent doing something as blatantly simple as belting up. Its something we learned as kids.[8]

·
Registered
None
738 Posts
These have been posted before.

A SE vs. a van

and a SEC Vs. a semi and something from behind

T

Attachments

·
Registered
None
738 Posts
Again, reposted for those who haven't seen them. The first one in the series is the worst cabin penetration I've seen on one of these cars - must have been hit HARD.

T

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
W108, the one where the W126 had its pillar struck seems to have had the damage mostly focused in that one spot. ...IOW, a very very high hit.

·
Registered
None
738 Posts
I agree. Probably a semi hit or something. Any other car hits like that take the roof off.

Seeing those images a few years back made me want a 126....so bloody strong.

T

1 - 20 of 30 Posts