Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a strange noise when turning the wheel, it's mostly happens when the steering wheel is turned to left and occasionally to the right. I'm pretty sure some of the bushings are bad in the front end, but what could be the sound while the steering wheel is turned? Also, it is easy to change the bushings for the front end?

Thanks.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,158 Posts
Quite likely just your balljoint which is pretty easy. But u need to describe the noise a little..

·
Registered
1982 300SD, 2001 f-150 4x4-348,000 passed tha benz!!
426 Posts
Idler arm bushings, my guide rod joints make terrible sounds.

·
Registered
' 91 350sel, '12 s350, '18 144 sprinter, '08 sl550
328 Posts
once i started taking things apart on my 560sel, basically everything needed replacement..including the guide rod mounts. amazing how worn the control arms are worn with just rubber bushing s in them.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it hard to replace the bushings in the front? I may have to replace some other ones too.

·
Registered
1983 300sd, 1979 300d
46 Posts
Front End Noise

I have noise in my front end too. I notice it mainly at slow speeds and it sometimes sounds like a grinding noise. And my steering seems too loose. I am looking to replace all of the bushings, ball joints, upper control arms, tie rods, steering damper etc... From what I have researched so far it looks as if it will take a weekend or so to do it all. Maybe longer for me as it will be my first time. And then you have to get it aligned of course, which is another thing I have to research and make sure I can find someone who will do a good job around here...:)

Also, I was thinking that I probably need to take a look at the wheel bearings and repack them as well as I have no idea when this was done last. That could be your noise as well if you hear it as higher speeds when turning.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,757 Posts
In the meantime, the 'Welcome......' announcement / tutorial on top will help navigate the forum, and to search the forum archive for frequent and previously answered questions.
Cheers

·
Registered
1983 300SD
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Javman", like you said I may also have to replace all the bushings, ball joints...etc. I'll try to check out this weekend and see what all needs to be done. I saw a seller in ebay selling the whole front set (W126) for around $250.00 or so. I'm not sure what brand or how good these parts are.

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
take care with after-market parts, if they are made by OEM suppliers, then they are generally OK. Others have found failure of 'cheaper' parts after only six months.

However, the parts can be cheaper if bought from the OEM supplier just without the MB star on the package.

·
Registered
328 Posts
"Javman", like you said I may also have to replace all the bushings, ball joints...etc. I'll try to check out this weekend and see what all needs to be done. I saw a seller in ebay selling the whole front set (W126) for around $250.00 or so. I'm not sure what brand or how good these parts are.

if your talking about this listing

Mercedes W126 126 560 420 Control Arm Arms Ball Joint: eBay Motors (item 140298599212 end time Nov-23-10 04:18:52 PST)

it s the kit i m having put in the car as i type...the upper control arms were + 200 thousands of inch over on the upper part... had to get local machine shop to adjust...cars on lift and couldnt wait for replacement.... great ebay seller, he offered a discount on next kit.....and is checking a few of existing stock for the same problem....

everything else so far is going together well....

order part # 126-330-11-35.. guide rod mount kit.....

mine were worn and it s a might as well thing, while all is taken apart...

amazing how the original sockets are so worn from the rubber bushings.........

·
Registered
1983 300SD
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much is the mechanic charging you? I just need a rough estimate. Also, does anyone have a parts list or recommended websites to buy the parts. I have looked at autohausaz.com, importec.com and rockauto.com. Some parts are cheaper in importec.com and I have purchased from them before.

Thanks.

·
Registered
328 Posts
kinda on t & m right now.......doing brakes also....but i m suppling 99.9 % the parts.....

i m figuring somewhere about 800 bucks labor...for front end parts replaced, brakes, and alignment...the front end is a maze of parts.....looks simple till you start taking apart.

·
Registered
1983 300sd, 1979 300d
46 Posts
I have been getting my parts from ..::importec::.. Wholesale Mercedes Parts : BMW Parts : Volvo Parts .... I have been happy with almost everything, and they ship out very fast. I have had one problem with transmission modulators though. The first one I ordered would not hold vacuum and now the second one I have will not adjust properly when installed in the transmission. They are very good with customer service though. I also am looking into Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips as they seem to have some items at a better price and also offer free shipping on orders over $50, as does Importec. If you go to Chassis Catalog | MercedesSource.com you can look up your w126 and find his front end kit package as well and use that to compare to others as he has it all in a complete kit. This is on my list to do in the near future as I have already rebuilt my injectors with some Monark nozzles, replaced my timing chain and did a valve adjustment...

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts
Deutsche Parts USA

if your talking about this listing
Mercedes W126 126 560 420 Control Arm Arms Ball Joint: eBay Motors (item 140298599212 end time Nov-23-10 04:18:52 PST)

it s the kit i m having put in the car as i type...the upper control arms were + 200 thousands of inch over on the upper part... had to get local machine shop to adjust...cars on lift and couldnt wait for replacement.... great ebay seller, he offered a discount on next kit.....and is checking a few of existing stock for the same problem....
:eek: From all accounts, this stuff is total junk, and the mis-align in your new UCA seems proof. Just Google 'Deutsche Parts USA', or search this forum.
For example: How about a BBB Rating of 'F' OR a reference like:
Good luck with that "discount on next kit"! :banghead:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts