Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300SD W126
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I was looking for options to replace the aging Bosch glass lenses on the euro lights and stumbled on a seller that is selling the glass made by Magneti Marelli. Has anyone heard of that brand, or purchased that brand before or had any experience good or bad with that brand?

I welcome any and all comments including where to purchase the original Bosch glass. Thanks!

·
1991 500SEC 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,409 Posts
Magneti Marelli-Bosch: joint venture in automotive lighting
as of 22 April 1999

Go for it!

MBL

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
521 Posts
Yes, the actual parts will look identical-- the box has the Magneti-Marelli logos.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,785 Posts
MM lighting (for W126's) is through Automotive Lighting - AL. I don' think you can buy MM or AL direct - only through MB dealers as logo'd products. And very expensive at that. You used to be able to buy MM lenses, but not any longer. SEC Euro lenses from MB (made by AL) are about $500/side. SEC Euro complete headlights with corner lights from AL are about $1,700 each side now from MB.

·
Registered
1984 380SE 182k miles Lapis Blue / Palomino
51 Posts
Hella makes headlights that will replace the sealed beams you may have now. Box says "for off-road use only". go to rallylights.com and look at Hella #00347011 Rectangular H4 Headlight. You will be glad you did this for your night driving....

RV

·
Registered
1981 300SD W126
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You all for the replies and added information. I will look further to see what I can get . Best, :)

·
Registered
1981 300SD W126
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
AreVeeSmoot, yes I have used Hella's on my BMWs with the quad headlight set up with upgraded bulbs and they are fantastic! In fact with the 80/100 bulbs when I throw the high beams on I call them my flame throwers. However, I already have the Euro lights (Thanks to Teutone) and wanted clean new lenses hence my question when I found a seller that has them. Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1981 300SD W126
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alydon, WOW! yes some of those prices are outrages and my 20XX BMWs have AL lighting in them (Bi-Xenon) the cars came that way from the factory and I like the light they cast, very nice. They are a multi component for those type of lights as they have a ballast and an igniter for each side. Light technology has sure evolved over the last few decades especially now with the LED and laser lights. Thanks again for your input :)

·
Registered
1981 300SD W126
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MBL87560SEC Very Informative!

Thank You I learned something new and you've encouraged me to place the order for a set as I was afraid they are another lower quality/grade product such as the Depo lights. Much appreciated :)

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,155 Posts
Years ago, ElRojo aka Dave bought a set of Euro lights from the dealer, one arrived in a Magneti Marrelli the other in a Bosch box. One of the lights had a Bosch, the other an AL marked lens. The body, reflectors, and rear covers were a combination of all 3.
In 2000 Magneti Marelli and Bosch merged their lighting divisions into AL = Automotive Lighting.
The occasional small production run with Bosch markings out of AL/Bosch production facilities in Poland, Czech Republic etc might still happen. The Bosch and AL marked lenses are of the same.quality.

·
Registered
1990 300SEL, 2005 SL500
80 Posts
MBL87560SEC Very Informative!

Thank You I learned something new and you've encouraged me to place the order for a set as I was afraid they are another lower quality/grade product such as the Depo lights. Much appreciated :)
Can you please post a link to the lights.
I’m considering the upgrade to euro style.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
201 Posts
Hella makes headlights that will replace the sealed beams you may have now. Box says "for off-road use only". go to rallylights.com and look at Hella #00347011 Rectangular H4 Headlight. You will be glad you did this for your night driving....

RV
Hello AreVee. I looked and looked but can find anything - do you have a link?

Thanks

Pete

·
Registered
1990 300SEL, 2005 SL500
80 Posts
I have a small stone chip on the passenger side that I’ve sealed for now. (Replacement is only $64.)
This is not the main reason why I’m thinking of the euro style lights. I definitely like to improve the light output. I may just pull the trigger on the Depo. For under 2 bills I can call it an experiment. Although I came across some information with regards to Depo and few were stating that lights will not fit in place with stock US wiper motors.
Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,958 Posts
Mark,
Did you mean ecs tuning? Yeah they're legit. No worries.

·
Registered
1984 380SE 182k miles Lapis Blue / Palomino
51 Posts
Thanks! These will fit into my 420SEL American headlights? - threadjack over, sorry

Pete
Physically they will fit. You will have to do a good bit of disassembly, but you will be amazed at the difference with bright headlights.
RV

1 - 20 of 21 Posts