Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
This is my first post on BenzWorld, I had been lurking around for a few months particularly on the W126 forums and concluded that cannot be a more appropriate place to seek advice! I recently picked up a RHD '91 300SE that has been fitted with an OM617 diesel motor, it runs well thankfully though there are a few problems that I would like to address here:

1. The speedo, tachometer and oil pressure guage are for the gas motor, I havent been able to get them to work for the Om617, is there a way around this or would the clocks from a 300SD fit in directly?

2. The starter is making contact with the steering box and is getting me worried, would shimming the right-hand side engine mount help? This fix is top priority for me before I start using the car daily. I think the current engine mounts are off a W123 but, I don't know for sure, they are cut and welded together for alignment (I will post pictures of this) and I'm guessing that this is causing the problem.

3. With the diesel conversion done, will I have to look at my springs? I'm assuming they are original and set up for the gas motor.

4. The AC has been charged with R134, the cooling isnt there at all, and R12 is no longer available anywhere. Any alternatives for this?

Any help would be appreciated, it feels great to finally own a decent, rust-free W126, it is a shame that the original gas motor is no longer there, but I can always scrounge around for one and throw it back in sometime later! Please feel free to chime in, your opinions and advice will be of great help!

Cheers,

Zubin

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,659 Posts
You are in some uncharted territory (for me at least) with an OM617 in a RHD Gen II car. IDK what you might need to do for clearance to accomodate the starter motor, if gen I diesel instruments will plug and play.

Engine weights will be close, perhaps the diesel a bit heavier. I'd drive it and decide wether it needs different springs. As far as the refrigerant, i'm sticking with R12. Many who have changed to 134 have changed back to restore efficiency.

Good luck!

·
Registered
'70 280S-'73 450SLC-'81 380SL-'84 500SEC Euro-'92 300SL24-'95 E320
984 Posts

·
Registered
from small to large
885 Posts
for your ac, probably you will need to check if there is a leak or a new compressor is due. my 300sdl has been converted to 134, it is very cold - 42f in center vent.

·
Premium Member
107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
5,924 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Fill out your profile including location and we can help a bit more.

Likewise my R134 conversion is fine. The diesel engine switch is another issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are in some uncharted territory (for me at least) with an OM617 in a RHD Gen II car. IDK what you might need to do for clearance to accomodate the starter motor, if gen I diesel instruments will plug and play.

Engine weights will be close, perhaps the diesel a bit heavier. I'd drive it and decide wether it needs different springs. As far as the refrigerant, i'm sticking with R12. Many who have changed to 134 have changed back to restore efficiency.

Good luck!
ChiefRider,

I've managed to get the clearence between the starter and the steering box, turns out both the motor mount rubbers were totally buggered! :p now to sort out the instrument cluster and a bunch of other spares like the sunroof angle brackets (126-782-11-12 & 126-782-12-12) does anyone here have a spare set lying around, both of mine are broken:(. Also since this is a '91 RHD 300SE that now has the OM617 motor in, the question is will an instrument cluster from the 300SD fit in without any problems? Are the speedo drives cable driven on the SD cluster?

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,970 Posts
ChiefRider,

I've managed to get the clearence between the starter and the steering box, turns out both the motor mount rubbers were totally buggered! :p now to sort out the instrument cluster and a bunch of other spares like the sunroof angle brackets (126-782-11-12 & 126-782-12-12) does anyone here have a spare set lying around, both of mine are broken:(. Also since this is a '91 RHD 300SE that now has the OM617 motor in, the question is will an instrument cluster from the 300SD fit in without any problems? Are the speedo drives cable driven on the SD cluster?
As far as i remember the 300sd speedos are cable type ours was. Your '91 has an electronic one if i am correct.

I am also going to do a diesel conversion soon to a euro gen 2 560sel. I have a 300sdl donor car for the swap..

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
The speedo cable is electronic on all 126's.

OP, any idea what year the 617 is? This will make a difference with the tach connection. You may need a diesel specific cluster, the oil pressure is electronic too.

Perhaps some our Aussie friends will chime in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts