Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wood on our 1985 500 SEL is peeling back where it meets the glove compartment. I have tried glue (several types) to no effect. How hard would this be to take off and replace with used part? If I go to the dealer I'm sure they will want an arm and leg. Help Please!:confused:

·
Registered
'82 380SEC, '74 280S
399 Posts
If I remember correctly, you have to take the dashboard out of the car to do it right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy, that would be quite a task. I'm not sure where to start on this one, but where could I find replacement wood? The existing wood besides pealing is cracked at the top edge all the way from the steering wheel to the glove compartment. I think it is not salvagable. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Some have had luck w/ glue...some obviously haven't.. The trim can be removed while the dash is in the car but it takes a mighty flexible arm/fingers! Jonathan

·
Registered
'82 380SEC, '74 280S
399 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen whole dashes on craig's list for $175.00 but I don't need a whole dash just the wood. The glove box wood is OK as well as the piece to the right of the glove box. What condition is it in? I had an ignition switch replaced and I am sure that is what screwed up the wood. Howe mush do you want for that piece?

·
Registered
'82 380SEC, '74 280S
399 Posts
Another example of crappy work by mechanics that are out there. They get away with murder, scratching up your wood....or your paint...or breaking your plug wires, acceleration connection shaft, air filter connection screws, the list goes on and on in my experience. It doesn't matter what brand of car your driving or what level of mechanic you take it to, from stealership to an independent guy....there's always someone who creates a headache for you. Fortunately, there are the few goods one out there.....like ourselves to begin with.

To answer your question, the dashboard wood is in pretty good shape, but it is not brand new. There may be one small tiny scracth behind the steering column. I'll have to check. I have to sell it as a complete set, since the wood matches from door handles to dash. PM me for more info.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
FYI, the strips that run along the dash (no including the HVAC surround) list for about 1K in burl.. Jonathan

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
you need to grab a tool box and head to the junkyard. i've seen MINT and i do mean absolutely *PRISTINE* interiors in the junkyards. full glossy dark, unfaded, unscratched, beautiful burlwood. you'd be smart to replace it all as a set so it matches, but if you can't, it's a matter of removing the center console, lower dash panels, and maybe the interior of the glovebox to access the back of the wood. it's all held on by 8mm black plastic nuts. just a matter of reaching back there and contorting yourself a bit.

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
The three dash pieces are not available from MB dealers separately, only as a set. About 4 years ago they quoted me about $ 1,000 for three pieces for my '83 300SD. I am sure they are quite a bit more now, as MB parts prices have gone up considerably in the last few years.

I have had excellent luck with Elmer's carpenter's glue to glue back delaminating pieces of dash wood trim. You need to remove the piece, glue it where it is separating, then use clamps or clamp it in a vise to hold it together for about 48 hours.

Unlike many other glues, Elmer's carpenter glue is starch based and will not soften when interior of the car gets hot.

About those "pristine" junkyard wood trim pieces: You may be lucky to find them, but my experience has been that most of junked cars will have dashboards ripped out and/or wood trim destroyed, as it is difficult to remove the pieces.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
41,026 Posts
tomm said:
The wood on our 1985 500 SEL is peeling back where it meets the glove compartment. I have tried glue (several types) to no effect. How hard would this be to take off and replace with used part? If I go to the dealer I'm sure they will want an arm and leg. Help Please!:confused:
Try 'search this forum'. There are plenty of wood threads in the archive.

Congrats to your car and welcome to the forum.
To edit your personal profile to include your car mod. and location, you can use the control panel on the top right.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice.

Mercedes Benz at www.mbusa.com used to sell the official 2 CD service manual for $ 20. Unfortunately it is not being offered at the present time.
We hope it's only temporary.

You can check the DIY thread above, or type your question into the 'search this forum' box on the top right. It will get you all archived post re. your problem.

You might try the Russian MB site. Don't put in a mod. or vin, click on cars and scroll down, until you get to yours: Êàòàëîã çàï÷àñòåé MB

Good luck

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
The 3 plastic nuts on the part from the left door to the glove box are 7 mm and there are 3 small philips head screws at the top insideof the 2 center vents. do not remove the lower panels...remove the instruement cluster and side venition vent. Glove box door is simply 2 screws and loosening of the latch. Right side vent removal requires iner glove box liner removal and venition vent removal. This piece only has two 7 mm nuts to remove . Again, do not remove the lower panels...just making more work for yourself. Search will give you full instructions.
Let me know if you need any pictures of the back of the piece you are removing so that you can tell where the nuts are located at that need to be removed.
Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
I just did this on my grandmother's 380SE... and I've got replacement 'wood' (that certainly doesn't sound right) on the way in... If you need any advice PM me... I removed the wood from the dash, and clamped it down into place using either 3M Super Adhesive Glue, or JB Weld... I hope you're patient... cause it takes an awful lot of time to do a repair job like that... It's been a couple of weeks now, and there are no signs of the wood veneer coming back up... sorry, no digital, so no pictures...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wood trim pictures Please

kodiakj2 said:
The 3 plastic nuts on the part from the left door to the glove box are 7 mm and there are 3 small philips head screws at the top insideof the 2 center vents. do not remove the lower panels...remove the instruement cluster and side venition vent. Glove box door is simply 2 screws and loosening of the latch. Right side vent removal requires iner glove box liner removal and venition vent removal. This piece only has two 7 mm nuts to remove . Again, do not remove the lower panels...just making more work for yourself. Search will give you full instructions.
Let me know if you need any pictures of the back of the piece you are removing so that you can tell where the nuts are located at that need to be removed.
Regards,
Greg
Greg I would really appreciate any photos that you can share with me I may need a good bit of help on this one.
Thanks
Tomm

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
I'm not Greg, and I don't have any photos, but if you search 'wood' and my handle, you'll come up with a thread which has files one of the members sent me that has the pages from the electronic manual (pertaining to removal and replacement of wood trim) posted... if you can't find it, PM me and I'll see if I can post it up for you...

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Pics

Hey Tomm, I hope these pics load ok. I took a front pic of the piece of wood you are working on and then pictures of the back side so you can orientate yourself to where the studs and plastic nuts are located on the back since you will be working blind. The two nuts nesct to the steering column are accessed through the instrument panel when removed and the third is on the end through the outside of the side vent. I marked the 7 mm nuts with pices of white paper so you can see them. Hope this helps!
Regards,
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Sorry, but all pics didn't load but you should be able to get the idea
Greg

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
DON'T PRY OUT THE PLASTIC PIECES AROUND THE LIGHT SWITCH OR THE IGNITION SWITCH!!!! They are tabbed into the wood trim...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
To take wood trim from w126 dash the right way will takes you about 30-45 min. but if you want to replaced left side you will need to get glove box and right side as well to make match. It will be very hard to fund original set in good condition, 15-20 years old wood trim get faded. It is easy to get restored one. I'm doing Mercedes wood trim restoration and I can restored one for you.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts