Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 1986 560SEL, 1992 300D, 1995 E320 Wagon
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This video goes over how to disassemble and install new diaphragms from George Murphy and Performance Analysis in Tennessee into the dual diaphragm pods.
Again, I advocate buying new MB pods first. Doesn't matter which dual pods, the only difference is the arms. The ones that are NLA are becoming more so each and every day. I only put this on here to use the Performance Analysis pods as a last resort down the road for those who were too late to buy them.
The video is still uploading to Youtube as I speak, so try again later if the link doesn't work.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
862 Posts
Interesting. Does the upper diaphragm going inside of the cup not affect its operation at all? I just assumed the instructions weren't applicable. It feels like it might be more susceptible to ripping at the base and the range of motion could be restricted. I guess all of that is quibbling if it does the job though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure, because again I did this for a single diaphragmed pod. It holds vacuum okay. I dont know what the travel is, I guess I could measure on a new MB pod as I apply the Mity Vac to it...

Like I said, it opening 80 or 90 percent of the way is better than none at all. Especially as these will give you vacuum leaks too...

·
Registered
1983 300SD
862 Posts
I am not sure, because again I did this for a single diaphragmed pod.
Oh, I was kind of skipping to the money shots. I didn't notice it was a SD pod. Mine were different apparently. The old diaphragms just came off and the new ones slipped on in their place without any fuss. They held vacuum like the new DD pods.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,234 Posts
this is great, i was just assessing my pods with my mechanic today doing a vacuum test

we were going by the number on the center console area right side where we can test the pods, and the correlating numbers in the manual

i have a few bads ones but my issue is the center vents are no go....

ill be watching this and reading thru the 500e board info to fix these

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,077 Posts
For the center vents I replaced pods #42. The schematic shows pod #40 for the center vents but I did not have to replace that. Test all the pods to see if they hold vacuum by removing and connecting the vac. hose from the solenoid to the vacuum pump at the solenoid cluster on the right side of center consul behind the panel. Myself I just replaced the three pods that tested fault (not holding vacuum). Was able to access all three pods that I replaced by removing my airbag assembly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the center vents I replaced pods #42. The schematic shows pod #40 for the center vents but I did not have to replace that. Test all the pods to see if they hold vacuum by removing and connecting the vac. hose from the solenoid to the vacuum pump at the solenoid cluster on the right side of center consul behind the panel. Myself I just replaced the three pods that tested fault (not holding vacuum). Was able to access all three pods that I replaced by removing my airbag assembly. View attachment 2620471
...and at least on the W126 you can sort of replace most of the pods as they go out, whereas the W124 is a entire dash pull so it's best to do them all at once, bad or not, unless you're into pulling your dash every other year lol

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,159 Posts
I have been reading the various pod replacement threads on here and the “other board” and can’t help but comment. I did all mine about 3 years ago when you could still get them. Of the six, I think three were bad. However all of the pods were brittle. I doubt very much if any original pods are not that way. I did not try to rebuild mine so I can’t comment on that process but here is my point. If you are keeping the car you are doing yourself a diservice by not replacing or repairing them at one time. I know money can be tight but as of now only three pods are not nla. Soon my guess they all will be. Second when you have things apart, especially on the passenger side, a simple 1/4 twists removes them. Again each to their own and I understand the don’t fix it unless its broken but this is one of those I don’t agee with that philosophy. Good luck

·
Registered
5,234 Posts

i understand that the gen 2 cars have the 126 part above
what is the equivalent for the gen 1 cars please

·
Registered
1983 300SD
862 Posts
If you are keeping the car you are doing yourself a diservice by not replacing or repairing them at one time.
So, for early single diaphragms and dual diaphragms that are still available or that can be modified, I agree. On something that requires replacing the diaphragm in a way that's not the original design, I don't think I would do it unless it was broken. Once they're broken you can only make it better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
any thoughts on what the equivalent part is for a gen 1 for that part starting in 126

·
Registered
1983 300SD
862 Posts
any thoughts on what the equivalent part is for a gen 1 for that part starting in 126
That was 9061802002 on the 1981 300SD that I pulled pods from at the JY. It's a single diaphragm. I created a reference google sheet for myself. I need to clean it up, but it may be helpful for you as is.

That said, I have a slight suspicion that the pods may be different in very early cars. @vdubpower, when you get them out could you post what the part numbers are that are physically on your Gen 1 pods?

Also, could you verify if you need to cut anything on your single diaphragm pods or if the diaphragms just slide off?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts