Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88 560sel I read all the posts on how to remove the spring coils on this damn car you have to do turn the coil remover tool from the to, driver side you have to remove the bracket that holds the AC lines to get the tool inside the hole or it won't fit
not too bad of a job but the coils in this car are ticker and shorter almost 1 inch thick I first remove one full coil and the car drop 1 inch the car sat 3 inches higher before
Well I figure some posts suggest one to one and a half coil removal since two full coils will be too low
I then remove half coil for a total of one and a half spring coils
damn car drop 3 inches with removing just half coil
So it went from dropping 1 inch cutting one full turn coil to 3 inches drop by removing one and a half spring coils
car rides smooth no issues so far but now the damn front tires hit the fender when turning and I hammer the damn fenders to avoid the tires getting cut by the inside of the fenders I think it did help because there is no rubber missing from the tires yet

I did the same distance drive test after cutting the coils however one full turn removal drop 1 inch and one and a half turn removal of coil drop 3 inches I don't know why it drop so much but it did

so to clarify I first cut one full turn, car drop 1 inch
I then cut half turn coil for a total of one and a half turns spring coil removal and that drop 3 inches

car looks nice overall, I smash my finger 3 times got a purple finger nail on one finger now because I drop the damn spring on my finger

lets wait and see how long before the front tires pop from hitting the fender I don't thing there is any metal cutting the wall of the tires but only time will tell

I been wanting to cut the front springs for almost 6 months finally got to do it

·
Registered
'89 560SEC, '90 560SEL
681 Posts
Could it be the spring wasn't sitting all the way down in the retainer? Or maybe you forgot to put the rubber spacer back on top? 1.5 coils should be a significant drop, but closer to 2". I removed around 3/4 of a coil on my SEL, and that dropped it an inch or just under; makes for a great stance, and the wheel sits perfectly in the arch. If the drop is excessive, you can get thicker rubber spacers (the part that sits on the top of the spring). There are four sizes, indicated by nubs on the perimeter of the spacer – you should be able to find them pretty easily with the tire off. One nub is the thinnest, four the thickest, and each step is worth around an inch of ride height. As always, be very careful working with spring compressors and especially compressed springs...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made sure the rubber spacer was on before installation, and it has the thicker ones already on it, I had remove plenty of coil springs but for BMW's, this special tool for the Benz removal is easy to use if you follow the instructions on the internet I had to make sure it was properly place before compressing the spring and I did it by hand no power tools is easier to notice if something is not seating properly
I have 16" wheels on the car and a big tires I might have to get low profile tires instead, I had replace them when I got the car because they where too thing and it had a big gap from tire to fender, but now they will fit perfectly I think
I just need to post pictures for everyone to see how it looks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tires I have on these 16 inch rims are too big they keep hitting the inside of the fender when I turn or hit a bump
the size is 215/65R16 what low profile tires are you guys using? I don't want to feel the road too much with very small tires not enough rubber to hit the road plus they stick out too much in the front I don't know what type of rim this is but is not heavy and it has the Mercedes logo in the center caps, any suggestions?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,132 Posts
It's the offset of the wheels. It's cool, but they rolled the front wheel arches to accommodate them.

Look like Lorinser wheels. Do you know if there's spacers or its just the wheels? I wouldn't go smaller tyre, you're gonna have to get the arches rolled.
Check out the threads in the archives about all this stuff, lots of help for you there. Different tyre brands have differences in actual real life width, for example.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the offset of the wheels. It's cool, but they rolled the front wheel arches to accommodate them.

Look like Lorinser wheels. Do you know if there's spacers or its just the wheels? I wouldn't go smaller tyre, you're gonna have to get the arches rolled.
Check out the threads in the archives about all this stuff, lots of help for you there. Different tyre brands have differences in actual real life width, for example.

There is no spacers on the rim and I hit the inside of the fender to bend the metal inwards to stop it from cutting the rubber on the tires, this metal fenders are really thick they wont bend easy. I think I'm gonna get a set of use front spring coils and just cut one turn instead of the one and a half I cut on this ones to drop it 2" instead of the 3" drop I have now, thanks for the information on the wheels.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,132 Posts
I love being able to cut the coils. It's so easy on these isn't it.
Yeah a little height will help ya.
The wheels are cool. AMG even specified rolling the arches back in the day when wheels were optioned. There are places that will do it I think, although my bodyshop guy won't.
I've heard the use of a baseball bat rolled between tyre and arch can work too.
Beware of cracking paint and the ensuing rust though. Some people heat the paint gently I think beforehand?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you for the information, the paint in this car is really good I hit the fender from the inside out with different size of hammers the metal bounce and not a single dent or paint damage was done to it, and I had to hit it really hard on some parts and it looks the same from the outside, I was worried about damaging the fender and the paint but this car is a damn tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A follow up on the 3 inches drop I did on the Benz, I had to bend the metal inside the front fenders to avoid cutting the rubber of the tire on the metal
I was able to bend it enough to stop it from cutting on the rubber and it now hits the inside only when going a bump going at fast speeds
before it will hit when I turn the wheels and at every little bump, surprisingly the car drives great no issues at all, it won't pull to one side or rattle while driving, high speed in the freeway is like before no difference at all.
I will like to keep it at a 2 inch drop instead of 3 inches but I wont be able to work on it since the hot weather is coming soon but overall the car looks good handles good and no bouncing at all.
And no issues getting in or out of parking lots either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts