Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which ones do *YOU* like?

cascade/mc clare ('91 US spec car in Pearl black); Chadahar: ('84 Euro spec car in Lapis blue)

cascade: Euro headlights, Euro dark amber corners, US headlight wipers. (cascade's euro headlight wipers are already paid for, and on the way from Germany as of this writing!!), US front bumper

mc clare: Euro headlights, smoked corners, euro headlight wipers, (painted a subtle flat color over the stock gray) US front bumper

Chadahar: Euro headlights, no Euro headlight wipers, Euro dark amber corners (US spec ones are light orange) and euro bumpers

Tails:

cascade: US style tails, red reflectors in corner

mc clare: lightly smoked tails

Chadahar: Euro style tails

Some exhaust tip choices:

cascade: Remus Factory tips:

mc clare: US style, stock

Chadahar: Euro, with aftermarket from US

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
These three cars were together yesterday in Lancaster, (Southern) California, for a 500/560SEC mini gathering, 3 cars, 3 SEC friends (fiends!!!)together.

The collective SEC enthusiasm when these three friends gather together is totally off the charts, as it feeds off one another!!!

como asi:

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Choices are totally subjective for everything

The three friends are running different wheel choices too, as of now:

cascade/ W140 ASA replicas 16" with W220 center caps

mc clare/AMG New style 18" (take offs) wheels

chadahar/stock 15"

Not to say these won't change: Don't be surprised if cascade shows up running, say, on Gen. II Old style AMG monoblocks/Aero Is, or, say, chadahar one day on body color AMG Gen I Pentas, and mc clare with something else...It could happen..........;)

Wheel choice is probably the most subjective choice there is, that the owner makes, on these W126 coupes.

·
Registered
909 Posts
You guys are funny. I have yet to see Bluebird or Mclares car, but they both look great in the pictures.

Jim, you should tint your windows a bit. It would make it look more uniform.

Charlie, have you found a set of wheels you like?

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Dang! If I'd have know that we were going to take pictures yesterday morning I'd have washed the car...OH! Wait, I did that Monday...Oh Well I do live in the High Desert.

After this mini GTG Cascade and I drove to Sun Valley to meet up with Teutone at a U-Pull-It yard.

I got a 560 Dual snorkel air cleaner box and a P Brake pedal pad for $11.50. The air cleaner box lid is perfect (as is the rest of it) and so is the warning sticker. The air cleaner box will soon sport two large snorkels per a recent post. Have to get a couple scoops yet so I can modify one to the larger driver's side inlet.

It was really good to see Mclare, Cascade and Teutone yesterday. The Bluebird just simply hummed down there and back.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After this mini GTG Cascade and I drove to Sun Valley to meet up with Teutone at a U-Pull-It yard.

It was really good to see Mclare, Cascade and Teutone yesterday.

I enjoyed that, and the little gtg in Lancaster too.

Here is a corner of the yard looking in:

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tint issue

Jim, you should tint your windows a bit. It would make it look more uniform.

Well I have wondered about that. But I would not know what to do, have heard the CHP are HELL on these with light meters they carry to measure for illegality.

To what extent do they diminish visibility? I don't like that idea much. How hard is it to tint them? How expensive?

I like the idea of doing it on the new Subaru wagon, I saw a coupleof them with it, on the streets up here, and they looked really bad azz

I bought this car in 1996 from a Mercedes Benz dealer in Buena Park, Califorina, as an "encore" vehicle.

Apparently its windows had aftermarket tint on it when the PO (I spoke to him briefly) traded it in on the new '96 SL 500. But there was never tint on it when I bought it and the CPO work order from the dealer included:

Job: "Remove window tint" (Apparently So Cal Mercedes dealers don't like to sell used Mercedes with aftermarket tint on them, or it is not allowed by Mercedes Benz to do it)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Its like $150-175 to have 5 windows tinted.

IMHO, I would go dark in the back, and just a hint of tint on the front. Not something super noticeable, but enough to block out some light.

My buddy has Limo tint all the way around on his BMW, and he has yet to be pulled over.

He drives almost 20k miles a year too.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Oh, and Mclares smokes tail lights look really good. They draw the car together, and they also are different.

Mclare and charlie, you guys should invest in a set of springs. It will give your cars a more aggressive look.

Jim, do you have pictures of just their cars? I can photoshop them. Oh, I can do chop in some tint too.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh, and Mclares smokes tail lights look really good. They draw the car together, and they also are different.

Mclare and charlie, you guys should invest in a set of springs. It will give your cars a more aggressive look.

Jim, do you have pictures of just their cars? I can photoshop them. Oh, I can do chop in some tint too.

I found these from another LA trip there ( I go down all the time):D a couple of weeks ago. Does this help?

chadahar

Mc clare has some tint already

Here is one of his car that he took, side on, dead ahead view, does this help if you are talking about ride height

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I enjoyed that, and the little gtg in Lancaster too.

Here is a corner of the yard looking in:

Hey I know where that is that yard is like a mile away from me ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
justinwrock,
You need to fall in behind Jim the next time he comes down. You are more than welcome.
Of course keeping up with Jim could be a chore. I'm a few years his senior and I can't keep up...LOL!

Well My car is Euro and sets just a bit higher than Jim's and 1.5 inches lower than my Stock as a stove Mariah. Springs and Shocks are on the list.

I need to get my windows tinted too. I want to redo the Hat shelf and door covers and to keep tem nice the tint is a must. The Tint shops know what is legal and what is not. I'll go the the darkest legal I can. So nice to be able to turn my attention to the cosmetic's now. Justin, you can copy any of the pictures of the Bluebird you want off the forum or I'll email you some and you can do photoshop of tint, Body colored Penta's and body color grille and that lower panel that I can't understand why it wasn't painted unless there were AMG/Zender /or the like, lowers on the car and gone now(what it appears to be the case).

Had a neat experience early this morning. I rolled up on a gathering of 5 Maserati's at a light, they had just done Angeles Crest Hwy to Aliso Canyon and were regrouping at the pull off near the stop sign. I gave them some other roads to take to get back to LA and one guy knew the routes and said that sounded great to them. We talked cars for a bit and they appreciated the Bluebird and I for sure appreciated their low and fast car. Wish I could have hung out with them(they did ask), but I had a client's horses to take care of(drats!). Nice cars but not a Red one in the bunch. Silvers, a blue and black, but no Red ones. To me a Maserati screams RED!. They all looked and listened as I put the Bluebird through her paces leaving them. Glanced in the rearview mirroe and saw them standing in the street Cheering me on....That felt good.
One really nice comment was "Those MB Coupes are great cars and look great. I thought the Bluebird was gonna blush....NOT!

Since I didn't get to make the Toys For Tots thing in Huntington Beach today, I'll take a drive down Bouquet Canyon, to Spunky Canyon, up to San Fransquito Canyon to Lake Hughes. Have a cold beverage at the Rock in then come home Elizabeth Lake Road. Sounds like a nice drive to check these out for the Spring Drive I am working on.

·
Slightly creased
16,582 Posts
not wanting to be a killjoy, but Charlie's rear lights do not appear to be standard non-US lights.

The Euro ones are completely orange right round the side with no break in the plastic - it may just be the way they were photographed.

Otherwise, it's a great comparison shot...

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not wanting to be a killjoy, but Charlie's rear lights do not appear to be standard non-US lights.

The Euro ones are completely orange right round the side with no break in the plastic - it may just be the way they were photographed.

It WAS the way they were photographed. We were in a big hurry to get going to the the junkyard, 100 miles away, so I had to take the shots in a hurry.

But, thanks, killjoy....:D:p:rolleyes:;):crybaby2:

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Well Let me jump in herein defense of the tail lights...They are orange all the way around, But they are in two sections.....go figure(Gen I-Gen II thing??). Also a PO had drilled side marker light holes in the Euro's at one point in time and I did have the side markers working for the light and brake check, but the guy never checked that out, just parking, brights, dims, turn signals,and brake lights(I did the upgrade to 4 brake lights), so I removed the side marker lights.

Cascade brought up the fact that my front signal lights appear to be US and Not Euro, and that is a distinct possibility, but between the three of us we didn't have a stock US car in the mix. They are brighter orange and Cascade's though but seem darker than Mariah's. Maybe a dark/lighter car color thing?

·
Registered
909 Posts

(Crappy photochop... I am on my Laptop, not my desktop, so no mouse... :( )

The W126 coupes look soooo good with a lowered stance.

Makes me want to get one that runs...

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jim, are you in Nor-Cal or So-Cal today?

I got a business idea for you....

I move around a lot. Got home this morning. LOLOLOLOLOL

So, I am back in Grass Valley today and I really ought to stay put awhile.

Probably going back to the San Francisco area again soon I think, but chadahar and mc clare woul maybe be able to help with the yellow fog light/euro lights wiper motors, arms and valance install, after I get the valances here from the Classic Center, and find a body shop to shoot them.

So a possible other So Cal trip could be coming again too

I am going to clean up the coupe today from its week in Orange County, but it was in the car spa in Laguna Woods Friday getting cleaned up for my time with Gloria so it won't be much of a job

1 - 20 of 67 Posts