Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
W126 1985 280SE RHD - R107 1986 420SL RHD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I have a 1985 W126 with climate control. I recently took the car in to fix the air conditioning. The mechanic took a look at the central console by removing the ash tray, radio and the wooden trim, but once he put everything back (quite hastily) the lights that illuminate the a/c control buttons (as well as the sun roof, rear light and rear window heater buttons) do not work once I switch the car lights on.

I removed the wooden trim and checked around the A/C control unit but can't figure out whether there's a switch that he forgot to switch back on or it's something more complicated.

The dimmer switch on the dashboard is fine and has nothing to do with this problem.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm clueless!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
If it's the same as a 123, those lights are just one bulb, using a fiber optic "spider". Everything has to be plugged into the back of the switches, not something that can done quickly, if removed. The rear window defrost button is especially tricky, as it lights up dimly until you turn it on, then it lights up bright. Or the one bulb needs replacing.
The climate control unit has it's own bulbs that directly light up those buttons, two for the HVAC buttons, one for the fan, and one for the temp wheel.

·
Registered
W126 1985 280SE RHD - R107 1986 420SL RHD
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Yes it was problematic plugging everything back as he had just left them hanging in there without bothering to put them back!

For some reason the temperature control wheel bulb is missing and the other 2 (for the fan and control buttons) seem to have burnt after he opened everything up funnily enough! He wanted to remove the dashboard as well to replace the central air vent valves as they no longer blow air...I'm sure I would never have seen that dashboard again had he done that!

Thanks again for your help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts