Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560sel
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC and Alternator belts both snapped while driving on the freeway this morning at 65 mph
I didn’t know what it was I heard a loud pop all the lights on the dash turn on showing battery low gas and the other ones but I continue driving since the car drove fine I knew the belts need it to be replabut I was too lazy to get them replaced
Well today I was lucky no other damage was done to anything else, I don’t see any other damage, I was lucky it happened in the morning and I was able to get the replacement belts
So everyone check your belts and replace them if need it don’t wait like I did

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,014 Posts
You better be sure a pulley didn’t seize causing them belts to break , a AC pulley or water pump pulley or alternator pulley can seize and cause beat breakage

·
Registered
1988 560sel
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just replaced the alternator belt I didn’t replace the AC belt is running fine so far

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,304 Posts
I hope that AC belt was also driving your water pump...

·
Registered
1988 560sel
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope that AC belt was also driving your water pump...
I don’t know what belt drives the water pump? Is the same one for the AC? I have not replaced it I been driving the car without an AC belt so far no overheating I will have to check now

·
Registered
1988 560sel
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It shows two belts one is for the water pump and the other one is for the power steering pump those are intact on my car the AC belt only drives the AC compressor, so I’m good

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,548 Posts
This is a timely post and I'm looking for input.

I have lost at least three alternator belts. I have found that the O.D. of the belt can tend to rub against the water pump pulley if the belt is too loose. Because I know this I'm careful to keep my eye on the alt belt tension.

In spite of this care. and in spite of new Continental belts, I lost the alternator belt in the middle of Nevada on Highway 6 (remote) and it took out the two water pump/PS belts with it. Instant increasing engine temp. I shut off the engine and we were able to coast to a pullout. I had spare belts and tools so we didn't lose much time.

But I'm concerned that this is happening periodically. I have checked the pulleys for wobble or damage and don't see anything. I keep all belts tensioned per the manual using a Krikit tool.

Any ideas of what I might be missing? My only thought so far is to stop using Continental belts which are now made in China rather than Germany and to try Gates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts