Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560sel
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This is the picture I found from another member however I didn’t see any other vacuum lines or broken lines hanging from that area, I will check again later once the heat goes down a little is 84 degrees right now

·
Registered
1988 560sel
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update! I was able to plug that vacuum hose but didn’t do anything the transmission won’t upshift pass 2nd gear even with that vacuum line plug in. I understand there is not a transmission control module on this vehicles I had checked all the other vacuum lines, will keep trying to figure out what the issue is I don’t think is the transmission since I have seen other people’s post and videos and most he something to do with the vacuum lines

·
Registered
1988 560sel
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update! I have vacuum, quick down switch is good, fluid is good but the transmission won’t up shift or down shift either it seems to be stuck on 2nd gear
I can switch gears manually form 1st to 2nd once I switch to 3rd it does nothing rpm’s are at 3500K and won’t change gears
Next I will do a filter change and see how it looks under once the pan is removed
car was changing gears fine before this
It runs starts right away takes off smoothly but it won’t shift.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,483 Posts
Yuuuuup. So been here. Transmission filter and fluid got it working for a day or two. Then back to staying in 2nd gear. Added trans-X. After 60 miles over 5 days (I don’t drive much and had to coordinate doing that much) it worked great. For 800 miles. Then it started the downshift again. Another transmission filter and fluid, and more trans-x, and I’m still good at 2000+ miles.

·
Registered
1988 560sel
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yuuuuup. So been here. Transmission filter and fluid got it working for a day or two. Then back to staying in 2nd gear. Added trans-X. After 60 miles over 5 days (I don’t drive much and had to coordinate doing that much) it worked great. For 800 miles. Then it started the downshift again. Another transmission filter and fluid, and more trans-x, and I’m still good at 2000+ miles.
Do you recommend to clean the inside of the transmission while the cover is out of the way? Maybe it had some build up of some kind? With electric cleaner maybe? I been think about doing that so I don’t have to do the work twice, what’s you le input on that?

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,483 Posts
I believe I had tarnish on my valvebody. This caused a blockage of fluid, preventing the upshift.

These transmissions, when properly maintained, are pretty indestructible. I’m also a fan of leaving 30 yo parts in place as much as possible. I’d change the fluid and filter and see how it does. And add some cleaner/restorer if needed.

I feel doing it twice, but it’s an easy job, at least on the m103. I could do the transmission part now (after the first time) in 20 minutes. Add 10 minutes for the torque converter.

...there are some great videos on rebuilding the valvebodies for these. Very informative.

·
Registered
1988 560sel
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I believe I had tarnish on my valvebody. This caused a blockage of fluid, preventing the upshift.

These transmissions, when properly maintained, are pretty indestructible. I’m also a fan of leaving 30 yo parts in place as much as possible. I’d change the fluid and filter and see how it does. And add some cleaner/restorer if needed.

I feel doing it twice, but it’s an easy job, at least on the m103. I could do the transmission part now (after the first time) in 20 minutes. Add 10 minutes for the torque converter.

...there are some great videos on rebuilding the valvebodies for these. Very informative.
I just ordered the filter and gasket kit And I think it takes 7 quarts of synthetic transmission oil will see how it goes and if it fixes my problem, thank you

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,483 Posts
Yup. I think 7 quarts is about right. They’re super-particular. There’s like a 300ml window where it’s the right amount.

When I drained mine the first time, my should-be-cherry-red atf fluid was brown. But at least it didn’t smell.

·
Registered
1988 560sel
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well bad news I did the filter and oil change on the transmission and the filter and pan where full of build up like mud meaning the inside of the transmission is worn out the gears, I won’t be spending money on a rebuild I clean as much as I could didn’t remove anything else since is not worth it, I put a new filter gasket fill it up and still drives the same of course it won’t upshift or down shift
I don’t have the time or the desire to put a used transmission even do I have access to a mechanic garage.
so there is the answer to this transmission issues if you had check everything else and the problem persist it is your transmission that needs to be rebuilt
Don’t spend money buying anything till you open your transmission pan to check to see if it is worth it.

·
Registered
1988 560sel
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Good thing I only spend the $17 on the filter and gasket and $52 on transmission fluid
Also if it takes too long to shift into reverse or it feels like it jumps when you select reverse that’s your transmission telling you is on the way out and will need to be replaced soon unless of course you have a vacuum issue or another electrical problem but I’m almost 100% that’s a way to tell your transmission is going out soon.
I will continue to drive it like this and see how long it last before the transmission goes out completely, street driving only of course

·
Registered
1988 560sel
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Who needs what part from this car? Let me know what you need and see what I can do to get it to you AC components are not good other than the Relay and Transmission is not good but the regulator and quick down switch are good all electrical is good

21 - 32 of 32 Posts