Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
380 Posts
Before damaging another coil you should find out why it keeps frying those coils. That is where the short to ground is.

·
Registered
1986 W126 300sel Euro
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've checked all the connections from the ezl with volt meter and 12 volt tester as well. I must have missed something.

Voltage at the primary when the key is at on position is 12.5 volts.

I intend to fix the cracked harness wires first. At this point can't think of anything other than an insulation tape. Any idea what to do instead of insulating tape?

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
380 Posts
You will have to measure resistances. With a wire both ends discconnected there should be infinite resistance against ground. Taping is a good temporary measure. What to do in the long run depends if you want to keep the car and if you feel like it is worth replacing the bad wires.

·
Registered
1986 W126 300sel Euro
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry for absence. Lockdown die to Corona.

Replaced some of the wires and checked for shorted wires.

The brown ground wire in the engine harness was patched up pretty bad. Replaced the wire from the position it had gone bad and naked to the place where it is grounded with the chassis.

The main engine ground cable is also in a very bad shape.

Just soaked it in kerosine. Seems will have to change it as well. But due to lockdown can't get my hand on ignition coil and other things. Will update as and when I make any progress or face a new problem.

I'm really grateful for your help.

·
Registered
1986 W126 300sel Euro
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hello everyone

I'm back with the final update.

Got my hands on two more ignition coils.

Replaced the broken wires and cleaned/ polished the fuse box contacts. Replaced ezl and eventually it fired up.

So the problem was bad wiring perhaps.

Plus I've replaced the battery as well. Just one more thing I want to know, with the engine running, voltage at the battery is 13.65 shouldn't it be 14.5?

Thank you all for your support and valuable help.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,653 Posts
Glad you are out of the woods now & running well..

As far as battery voltage when running, generally 13.6 to 14.2V would be great for you.

I know later Asian cars normally run somewhat higher voltages these days.

M.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts