Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
15,308 Posts
How cool is that, finally a decent number of M110 cars on the forum. There's often been a bit of an information lack on these.
Welcome.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi Guys, Apologies for digging up an old post. Thought I would add myself to the Australian delivered 280SE group. Mine's an '85 model. Will be watching future posts with lots of interest.
Also, thanks for the tips on SCA and Repco. Will be needing to do a few maintenance items on mine. I'm a little old school so have ordered a paper softcover manual and I'm hoping its the right one for the 280SE. Will get to the maintenance activities once I have the manual in hand. Will keep you posted if it works out.
Great to see !

I know my way around this car quite well now. Only thing that does't work on mine is the clock, despite putting new caps in there :rolleyes: I have a spare clock on the radio so all good :)

·
Registered
1985 M/B 280SE W126
31 Posts
You were able to find a softcover manual for the 280SE?
The only ones I've seen are the Mercedes-Benz Dealership Service Manuals and they retail for in excess of AUD$500!!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Thanks guys.
My clock also doesn't work, I'll let you know if I find any issues other than the caps. It's on the to-do list along with a few other items.
I've ordered the manual from the UK, it's a reproduction item and I'm hoping it's the right one. Won't really know until it arrives in a few weeks. Will let you know.

·
Registered
1985 M/B 280SE W126
31 Posts
If you're not opposed to pilfering one from a wreckers, if you replace the whole Thaco/Clock dial off a 280SE/L you should have both a clock and Thaco that work... I always thought those clocks were indestructible!
You might want to look at the clocks power supply from the plug on the back?

·
Registered
1982 MERCEDES 280SE AUSTRALIAN DELIVERED RHD
36 Posts
Thanks W116/126Guy, that's food for thought on the clock/tacho, and I'll keep those wheel centres in mind too. I bought it from a place in Bendigo; they just may have one. For just in case, how do we get in touch & discuss price & shipping for the wheel centres ? I see you're in Vic, I'm in NSW.

The vehicle is (allegedly) ready for pick-up again today, it's been at the local mechanic's since I had it for, oh about 40 minutes !

Dying to have a really close look all over it, it's in remarkable shape for a project that never happened.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you're not opposed to pilfering one from a wreckers, if you replace the whole Thaco/Clock dial off a 280SE/L you should have both a clock and Thaco that work... I always thought those clocks were indestructible!
You might want to look at the clocks power supply from the plug on the back?
Funny thing is after I replaced the caps it was working, then decided to stop again ? so could be a power supply issue, not a big issue.

I'm having a hard hot start issue atm, which is far more annoying, actually out of ideas on that one. Might have to start a new thread.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks great ! is that Astral Silver ?
To tell the truth, I don't actually know - it has a light blue colour so it may well be. Is there a code number for the paint scheme somewhere ? If you let me know, I'll look it up & come back to you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Funny thing is after I replaced the caps it was working, then decided to stop again ? so could be a power supply issue, not a big issue.

I'm having a hard hot start issue atm, which is far more annoying, actually out of ideas on that one. Might have to start a new thread.
What's the symptoms on that one ? I know next to nothing on MBs, but it might be something common to other vehicles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
To tell the truth, I don't actually know - it has a light blue colour so it may well be. Is there a code number for the paint scheme somewhere ? If you let me know, I'll look it up & come back to you.
Its on the compliance plate. Has a paint code on the large plate to the right of the VIN plate. (Just in front of the radiator)
Looks like a nice car !

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
These might be of use
Hi thanks for that. I have been over everything. Looks like its the Fuel Pump Relay, which seems to be playing up also the OVP relay has blown a couple of fuses in the past so is also questionable ( Thanks to Nutz For Benz) in W123 forum

Fuel system has great pressures, no leaks or loss of rest pressure etc.

Owner before me must has been a bit to eager with jumper cables, he managed to blow the rectifier in the alternator so wouldn't be surprised if the OVP was damaged in some way.

Other thing I just realised today was that my (new) plugs are likely fouled and black from some dodgy starts and excessive idling for diagnosing. So will clean those too, may explain the slight stumble when cold or hot for a few seconds.

Otherwise the engine runs super smooth, very responsive to throttle openings, last few final tweaks.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,427 Posts
How cool is that, finally a decent number of M110 cars on the forum. There's often been a bit of an information lack on these.
Welcome.
Hmmm... strange, seeing as the 280SE was the numerous W126 sold in South Africa - another RHD country, BTW.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its on the compliance plate. Has a paint code on the large plate to the right of the VIN plate. (Just in front of the radiator)
Looks like a nice car !
Here we go extractors, took the pic this morning:

merbnzmanplate.png

Hope that has the details of paint code.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts