Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Great forum here !

Recently purchased a 1984 280se Australian delivered.

Would be really handy having a parts lookup CD. Not being a US delivered vehicle does make some parts harder to find.

Does anyone have access to these ? maybe links or pdf's ?

Unfortunately local parts suppliers are next to useless and not helpful coming to small items.

Thanks in advance.

extractors.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,103 Posts
Welcome aboard BW bud!

I have been researching for some years now, and I use Catalog MERCEDES

I have input my VIN in the proper slot, hit return here, then saved as a shortcut the result.

It is MOST efficient really.

Good luck man.

When I get to my model car, Thats the url I save here.

For research for others, I go back to their particular stripe.

Be well.

MBL

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and thank you MBL,

Most helpful and the link works well for my VIN.

I look forward to contributing and utilising the forum.

extractors

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
15,308 Posts
Yes welcome. We love pictures, by the way. A fairly rare car you have there.
Good luck with it and enjoy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello, yes seems to be a lot more 300se’s and 116 280’s.
Currently on stands and going over the whole car, servicing, cleaning fluids, hoses etc etc. Once I get it back on the ground I will definitely take some photos.

·
Registered
1985 M/B 280SE W126
31 Posts
I've also got an '84 280SE (Australian Del too!) & the best resources I've found have been the official M/B M110 Engine Manual (available online as a PDF download pretty cheap) and for steering/suspension, chassis, drive-line and the like, I use the U.S. M/B Startek for the 1984 380SE

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome ! thanks for the heads up. Will definitely have to get that manual. I'm assuming it has all the part numbers too.
Wonder if it has instructions for setting the TPS ? mistakenly took mine off the throttle body.
Will also look at the the Startek manual.

·
Registered
1985 M/B 280SE W126
31 Posts
Yep, if it's M110 related, it'll be there. Not only that but it'll tell you the right values for Australian, Japanes, Swedish, U.S. etc etc delivered cars (you'll want to look at AUS 1981+)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sounds great. Currently going right over mine.There won't be much not checked or serviced by the time I'm finished. Good honest car will full service history and books. Just needs attention after almost 14 years in shed.

·
Registered
1985 M/B 280SE W126
31 Posts
Sounds great. Currently going right over mine.There won't be much not checked or serviced by the time I'm finished. Good honest car will full service history and books. Just needs attention after almost 14 years in shed.
When I first got mine, it had sat idle in a garage for just 18 months with the original owner buying it when he was in his 60's (in 1984 & I got it in 2017) and had slowed down driving but unfortunately also slowed down with the servicing as time went on & then became too ill to drive, I purchased it from his estate.
It had a bunch of "deferred maintenance" type issues as well as a few related to sitting for as long as it had (only 18 months).
With yours having sat idle for 14 years, the first thing I'd do is go through it and replace every piece of rubber or gasket on the car that even looked slightly suspect. Next I'd empty the fuel tank, purge the fuel lines (it goes off over time), change the all the fluids & check the electrics (new battery is a given) all that before I even thought about starting it.
Sounds like it'll be a corker of a car when you're done, keep us posted.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, yes they do deserve the time to get them running well. I love 116 and 126 Mercs.
Fortunately this car was likely running right up until it was stored, albeit I do believe it had a fuel ‘issue’ and was likely not running great. Hints of this is a brand new WUR installed, with date stamped on side right before it was parked. Prior to that it had a full service history largely by MB and another Prestige dealership. As it stands it has 274,000 km on the clock. And last service was at 273 k.
as far as fuel, yes I didn’t even attempt to start it until all the fuel was bled and flushed. I diagnosed a blocked return line to fuel tank. And hence likely why mechanics had replaced just about every fuel component in the car and gave up. As soon as tank was removed unclogged and cleaned, replaced the car ran and idled well, although a tad high. I have now stripped just about every ancillary off the motor except the AC compressor and starting the task of cleaning, degunking, replace as needed.
motor as of now.
0B7225E1-504B-4D54-9315-C1B536962C5C.jpeg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I first got mine, it had sat idle in a garage for just 18 months with the original owner buying it when he was in his 60's (in 1984 & I got it in 2017) and had slowed down driving but unfortunately also slowed down with the servicing as time went on & then became too ill to drive, I purchased it from his estate.
It had a bunch of "deferred maintenance" type issues as well as a few related to sitting for as long as it had (only 18 months).
With yours having sat idle for 14 years, the first thing I'd do is go through it and replace every piece of rubber or gasket on the car that even looked slightly suspect. Next I'd empty the fuel tank, purge the fuel lines (it goes off over time), change the all the fluids & check the electrics (new battery is a given) all that before I even thought about starting it.
Sounds like it'll be a corker of a car when you're done, keep us posted.
Have you replaced your heater hoses ? this is one thing I haven't had any luck with.

·
Registered
1985 M/B 280SE W126
31 Posts
Have you replaced your heater hoses ? this is one thing I haven't had any luck with.
No, that's actually one thing that's given me no worries yet, climate control is great!
Do you mean no luck sourcing the part or the actual replacing?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No mine works, I just don’t trust original rubber. Actually sourced all new rubber today. Will be replaced by tonight 🍺

·
Registered
1985 M/B 280SE W126
31 Posts
No mine works, I just don’t trust original rubber. Actually sourced all new rubber today. Will be replaced by tonight 🍺
If it's not carrying fuel or oil, 9 times out of 10 you should be cool.
Is there rusty water in the coolant tank?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you see my post under 'overhauling 280se' ?

Definitely worth doing. I managed to get all my hoses through Supercheap auto, I just scoured there heater hose bins and matched up what I needed. The main one from the block to the heater core would be the one first to fail.

·
Registered
1985 M/B 280SE W126
31 Posts
SCA & Repco have had some amazingly cheap parts for our cars over the last 12 months .
You're right though, it all comes down to knowing what you need & understanding the specs of the parts you have in front of you , it really doesn't have to be expensive .
For when you do have to have an OEM part, have you discovered Unique Auto yet?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Hi Guys, Apologies for digging up an old post. Thought I would add myself to the Australian delivered 280SE group. Mine's an '85 model. Will be watching future posts with lots of interest.
Also, thanks for the tips on SCA and Repco. Will be needing to do a few maintenance items on mine. I'm a little old school so have ordered a paper softcover manual and I'm hoping its the right one for the 280SE. Will get to the maintenance activities once I have the manual in hand. Will keep you posted if it works out.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts