Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - new to the group - I am having my original 1991 300SEL's Becker 1432 head unit repaired and it was removed from my car by a local shop.

I would like to reinstall it myself and I am not sure about the clip/insertion process.

I see two large silver clips sticking up into the space where the radio was from the bottom of the space, above the ashtray assembly. The ashtray assembly is back in place and screwed it as it was originally.

Do I just connect all of the plugs/etc. in the proper order and then slide the radio in without doing anything to the clips, or do I need to somehow push those down by hand? They're very strongly in the "upward" position and I wasn't sure if it was just a matter of sliding in the radio and letting them clip into the bottom of the radio somewhere where there's a recessed area (radio and car are both not with me now so I can't check) or is there another way?

Thanks in advance.

srd6

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEL
98 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Installation is pretty easy. I have always had the ashtray unit removed when I've worked on mine, and I recall the reason why is a) so you can muss with the cables as you slide the unit back in, and b) I think with the ashtray unit in place, the tabs I think you're referring to don't retract. (I'm not 100% sure I'm recalling that correctly...)

There are two sets of clips/tabs: one that supplies a little bit of tension on the bottom of the radio (outlined in red in the snip below) and another that actually locks into tabs on the front of the head unit (circled in blue). After connecting the cables and testing, you just slide it in the unit, feed the cables in back into a space that's comfortable (i.e. not all bunched up or crimped), and then eventually the unit slides home and the tabs lock in.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEL
98 Posts
BTW, the ashtray is easy to remove: 1) open it, 2) remove the chromed ashtray insert, 3) remove the two Phillips screws (you can see the holes in the pic in my last reply), 4) slide the ashtray unit towards you, being aware that there are wires connected on the right side for the cigarette lighter that don't have a lot of play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Robert! The problem is that I’m having some trouble getting that ashtray out and I guess the question is, does it really need to be out for me to pop the radio back in? The Phillips head screws are a little bit balky (one may be mis-sized and doesn’t remove easily) and I’m having some trouble with my hands so I just wish I could do it without taking that ashtray out.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,008 Posts
Take a box of fresh donuts to the shop that removed the unit. It will be installed in less than 5 minutes. Go in the morning around 9-10, and "fresh" is the key here.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEL
98 Posts
The problem is that I’m having some trouble getting that ashtray out and I guess the question is, does it really need to be out for me to pop the radio back in?
My best recollection is that it does. But it's been a while... So maybe the donut route is best if you're having trouble getting the ashtray out...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys - thanks for the advice. Indeed the ashtray had to come out so I went to my local shop which had taken the radio out and said I’d had some trouble getting it back in and once one of their guys did so I gave him a 20 and said thanks. The donuts idea sounded good but it was late in the day already and I didn’t know if bringing them a case of beer would be legit (ha).

An unusual aspect of my radio/tuner assembly is that the tuner in the trunk is not on the side of the antenna (which Becker Autosound and everybody else said it would be) and instead on the passenger side of the trunk. Any idea why? It’s a 2/91 built 1991 so was thinking perhaps they were already preparing for the 1992 new body style and its fittings?

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,238 Posts
When I received my head unit back from Becker I had the local place that took it out put it back in and it took about 5 minutes. Nice guys. They thought my SEC was beyond cool. Everybody was taking pictures.

Getting it out originally was very difficult because of the odd security tabs. I will eventually redo my entire sound system. No hurry. All in good time.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEL
98 Posts
An unusual aspect of my radio/tuner assembly is that the tuner in the trunk is not on the side of the antenna (which Becker Autosound and everybody else said it would be) and instead on the passenger side of the trunk. Any idea why? It’s a 2/91 built 1991 so was thinking perhaps they were already preparing for the 1992 new body style and its fittings?
The passenger side is where the remote tuner unit should be. I've looked at the diagrams many times in the service manual and that's what it indicates. Same on my 91 560. I'll grab a snapshot of the diagram later if I'm able.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts