Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210) Currently 11,000 Miles
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for any and all information pertaining to the 1987 420SEL, such as specifications, standard equipment, factory options, known problems, a .pdf Owner's Manual, etc... anyone here have a website dedicated to this type of information?

Thank you,

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
Everything you are seeking is available here. Do a search and I am sure you will be busy for hours learning everything you need to know.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
43,792 Posts
I'm looking for any and all information pertaining to the 1987 420SEL, such as specifications, standard equipment, factory options, known problems, a .pdf Owner's Manual, etc... anyone here have a website dedicated to this type of information?

Thank you,
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
^^^... or someone can forward you a pdf.

·
Registered
w126
1,535 Posts
The owner manuals are part of the 2-CD service manual. They usually cost around $20 if you can find them. You might look in the DIY article for information about them. Member jhodg5ck might have them for sale.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.
Not a new member, so yes, I have used the 'search' feature and didn't get the specific information I'd like, though there are a lot of dead links... hence, my post.

I was hoping that some W126 enthusiast had a personal website with this type of information readily available. Lots of worthless pages, missing pictures and dead links and files linked to M-B forums though... I think I found them all by just doing a ‘search’!

Thanks for the thought, though…

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Not a new member, so yes, I have used the 'search' feature and didn't get the specific information I'd like, though there are a lot of dead links... hence, my post.

I've had difficult searches as well for what I thought was an obvious search. I would put in more than the three word minimum and I would get "the search term you specified (on) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer." This would happen over and over no matter how many different ways I requested the search or different combination of words.

Not sure how to advise on that. Perhaps one of the mods has insight.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thank you,
Let's see here.
HP- 201 bhp
tq - 234 lb.-ft.
v8 single OHC

options- a/c, power seats with memory, ABS, the standard stuff ya know?
problems- time chain and tensioner, loss of cruise control, sunroof pop up problems etc

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
^^^ I did it every which way. To illustrate my point, I tried to look up "hydraulic oil specifications", which I would think would have been a topic discussed before. I just tried it again to make sure I wasn't mistaken.

Nothing came up. It's hard for me to believe no one has ever talked about their hydraulic system or what brand of oil is acceptable.

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
160 Posts
Try a google search with the applicable search terms. It will often lead you to a helpful benzworld topic.

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^^ I did it every which way. To illustrate my point, I tried to look up "hydraulic oil specifications", which I would think would have been a topic discussed before. I just tried it again to make sure I wasn't mistaken.

Nothing came up. It's hard for me to believe no one has ever talked about their hydraulic system or what brand of oil is acceptable.
I agree with your assessment of the search feature; sometimes the information I'm looking for is quite basic and should be readily available, and yet I come up empty handed, or it gives me links to posts with really obscure information that has nothing to do with my original search query...

As to some of the other replies, thanks for the information and links. It's always great to come across a 'new' website that I've never seen before...

Maybe someone that has a W126 that has had a/c problems could answer a question for me: what type of Freon was used in 1987 (R12, R22, something else?) and if you have to recharge the a/c, can it still be done (legal in California?) with OEM Freon, or is it a newer Freon that requires replacing the entire a/c system?

·
Registered
R129 SL 500 97, W124 E320 Coupé 96, W124 300E twin turbo 90, W126 300 SE 91, Ford Capri 2.8i 84
249 Posts
I posted this recently on another thread:

"If I haven't missed something here, it looks like R12 is still obtainable in North America but not via retail channels (recovered stuff, presumably, as manufacturing stopped more than 10 years ago?). I believe it is no longer legal to use it in the UK (or the rest of the EC). That's why my A/C man fitted an Airco Retro-Pro conversion kit for about $100; seems fine to me, and he spoke of having fitted dozens with no problems.

http://tinyurl.com/6cl5lf"

The someone shouted "Did you miss my first post? R-12 is AVAILABLE!".

·
Banned
1987 420SEL
48 Posts
graft, I am having somewhat the same problem obtaining information about my 420SEL. I would like to buy a service CD/DVD that pertains to this car, but despite searching I haven't been able to find one on this site or its competitor. They are available on eBay, but I'm afraid of being ripped off with a really lousy CD. Does anybody know a link to where you can buy a good service and repair CD/DVD for the 420SEL?

·
Registered
1991 300SEL
212 Posts
Hold up, What's this "pop-up" feature they're talking about? I know what the term means but as far as I know my sunroof only goes straight back into the groove. It says it's a standard feature, I am missing something here? I'd like to give my baby the sporty look when I'm on the move. I don't think I got that feature but if I do I'm not sure how it works.

edit:

Just went out and messed with it, pulled the button and there it went. That simple huh? God am I late! Gonna have some fun with the sporty look whenever I'm pedal hungry in the fastlane :).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts