Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine starts fine every time, but only runs about 5 to 20 seconds and then wants to cut off and most times does cut off. But again I can restart it and it will run fine for above mentioned time. Seems like something clicks to turn it off. Can anyone help? My only car and I realy enjoy it. Thanks.

P.S. My door locks stopped working-vacume leak. Would that have anything to do with it.:crybaby2:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
On an engine that does run for a bit it is clearly not mechanical. Your mixture is going way off. Your car has a computer so you'll have to deal with that.
Door locks are a completely separate system from the engine - the pump is in the trunk.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
+1 on the FPR being the prime suspect. Check the part #-- I might have one for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was facing the same problem as you described. After changing the Fuel Pump Relay, it fixed the problem. I am pretty sure your problem is the FPR.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I did change the FPR with a used one and it ran fine for a short time, but filled tank with 92 from BP and it started this. Also, I agree with the person about mix, I took a plug out and it was runing rich. Would that be due to the FPR or is the idle control out of wack. Please continue to help! Thanks.:crybaby2:

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
How old is your oxygen sensor? This might be the cause of your problems as well. It might also be that the used FPR went kaput, just because it was used.... Putting BP 92 in is not likely the issue either (it might be bad gas, but I've never really noticed much difference in gas quality from tank to tank).

The mixture adjustment is not going to change dramatically- it's a mechanical setup that responds to input from sensors and the like. There's a reason that the mixture screw has a tamper-resistant cap on it as well. That's why it's best to look at the electronics, simple as they are (relatively). There is a procedure for testing the O2 sensor's operation here somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again! Well the exhaust is rusty and old from the CAT forward and I believe hasn't been changed for years and I believe the O2 is the same age 25.Therefore, it needs to be renewed. Well I don't have much, and this car needs more, so i'll just pause for now. Thanks to all! This site is great and so are you guys and dolls.:surrender:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts