Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspecting the wiper blade and somehow pulled the whole arm while it was positioned in the resting spot (all the way over, drivers side). It now won’t retract and extend during operation. Can I reset this or ...

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,847 Posts
there's two different versions of the rather complicated wiper eccentric cam and gearbox thats inside the big flat pod at the base of the wiper, and the innards aren't interchangable. there's a single screw that holds on the actual wiper arm, its under a plastic cover, its possible this can be loosened, the arm pushed back, then tightened, otherwise, the wiper head has to come off, and be taken apart, and you get to figure out what went wrong. the innards of these were never servicable, there's no parts available.

there's some notes here on fixing a RHD (Austrialian) wiper, the park position is on the other side of the car but its otherwise the same. http://freescruz.com/.priv/W124/Index/MiscFiles/MonoWiperv2a.pdf
that document refers to various MB Procedures 82-XXXX, they are all indexed here, http://freescruz.com/.priv/W124/Index/Groups/82LightsWipersRadio.htm

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,185 Posts
Actually, they were serviceable once; the half-moon gear track/strip and the little star gear. Then one only was available (don't remember which) and now....?

Hard to say what to try, because forcing the arm over is not something that I read about much happening. I'd say try the reverse of what you did, but it's possible that you lucked out and didn't strip any gears.....doing the opposite may destroy one of the gears. Best bet is to take it apart, clean out the old grease which should be almost glue by now and relubing with Geitpaste.

Timing is going to be tricky becausae you've upset the apple cart. Normally, you hash mark everything before you take the unit apart.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,924 Posts
Here is a "How To" for refreshing the mechanism, I think the "half moon" gear teeth is still available ~$100, not sure

But one of our very resourceful forum members wrote this, even if not broken, doing this service, cleaning and fresh lube is needed over time.

good luck..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts