Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fairly new member here, although I have lurked for years... Could anyone help me trouble shoot a problem with my 1994 E420 windshield washer? The fluid will not squirt out of the windshield jets. I have replaced the washer pump and checked all the hoses and fuses - all appear ok. The jets themseves are not clogged. The turn signals and the wiper itself is working, so the steering wheel wiper control stalk is probably ok, but I suspect that voltage is not getting to the pump. Is there a relay that could be the culprit? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Fairly new member here, although I have lurked for years... Could anyone help me trouble shoot a problem with my 1994 E420 windshield washer? The fluid will not squirt out of the windshield jets. I have replaced the washer pump and checked all the hoses and fuses - all appear ok. The jets themseves are not clogged. The turn signals and the wiper itself is working, so the steering wheel wiper control stalk is probably ok, but I suspect that voltage is not getting to the pump. Is there a relay that could be the culprit? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

1. Sounds silly but put some water into the hose manually and blow like heck !
Does water squirt out at the windscreen ? Yes/No

If No then you got a blockage somewhere in the line. Try blowing them out at the garage with compressed air.

If Yes then
2. You should be able to hear the pump when someone pushes the squirt button ! If you can't hear it - it ain't gettin the message !
Put a multimeter into the line going to the pump and check the voltage when the squirt button is pushed. Getting anything ?

If No then start tracing the wiring back to the dash my friend.
If Yes check the bottom of the reservoir is not blocked or full of sludge !

That's all I can think of !

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I feel like a real moron. It turns out that the pump I replaced was for the headlight washer not the windshield washer. In my haste to replace the pump, I did not check which pump was bad. I nearly drove myself nuts checking fuses, voltage, blowing out lines etc... Yes, I know, very amateurish. Let this be a lesson to the dimwitted out there. Anyway, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Well, I feel like a real moron. It turns out that the pump I replaced was for the headlight washer not the windshield washer. In my haste to replace the pump, I did not check which pump was bad. I nearly drove myself nuts checking fuses, voltage, blowing out lines etc... Yes, I know, very amateurish. Let this be a lesson to the dimwitted out there. Anyway, thank you for your help.
:big laugh: Oh Magoo - you've done it again !:twak:

mr-magoo-car-color-crop.jpg

Never mind I think we have all probably done such a thing at some stage - but never admitted it ! Hahahahhahaha

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm man enough to admit my mistakes - even if it means I'll get ribbed for it. I don't mind - especially if my idiotic experience helps others avoid the same mistake. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
I'm man enough to admit my mistakes - even if it means I'll get ribbed for it. I don't mind - especially if my idiotic experience helps others avoid the same mistake. Thanks again.
Ahhh my friend, now there's an attitude of significant generosity. Unlike someone who would bash a MB CPS for failing after 20+ yrs, only to find out it was just dirty.....and then no retraction. It takes all types to make a forum and you even survived stormtiger's ribbing with aplomb. Great start!:D

Kevin

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
"But Master - Why must I burn my wrists on the hot Dragon Pot ?"

"Because Grasshopper - we think it's funny and you the only one stupid enough to do it when we tell him !"

Fade to scene of some banana walking through sand dunes.......
Legend has it is he is a W124 owner who failed to take advice from BenzWorld Elders and did not buy an new OVP Relay when told to !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts