Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. My name is Andre, I'm new to the benz forum but not to the car scene. I just purchased my 2nd 300te and are looking forward to modding it mildy for daily use. I want to see all of the W124 wagon owners post their suspension setup and a picture of their beloved wagon to help current/future wagon owner.

This is my "Weekend Car" - I'm one of the original member of a club called Liberty VIP. Hope you guys like it. <---- More pictures if you're interested.

So obviously...I have a thing for big body cars on the ground. (My apologies to all of the hardcore benz enthusiast who look down on us for doing so)

This is my Wagon I just picked up a few weeks ago. I have a lot of plans for it. I'm currently looking at The RaceLand E36 coilovers for the front as the best bang for my money. And performing a SLS delete like "Ameen".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yup, I actually got to look at it. But...I just wanted to start a thread with just a picture of the car and suspension list.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I would be wary of Ameen's history here, I think that car went up for sale within 90-120 days of the installation of coilovers. Look for someone who has a long term usage of your idea, or go it on your own. But be aware Ameen's experience here rate's an asterisk, for fringe thinking but then no long term roll out to review.

I'm not saying it won't work great, just suggesting you review the timing of the car - in midst of super-changes and custom work, coilovers in, next post I see, car is for sale. Just made me wonder if it did not come out as he hoped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@RHW

You have a good point there. I need to do some more research before I jump the gun. What suspension are you on? I'm looking for a 2-3" drop all the way around.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
H&R makes 2 levels of drop for your wagon. I tried the mild level on my silver wagon, and decided it looked GREAT but sacrificed more ride than I was willing, so I reverted to MB stock "Sportline" height (only 1/2" inch drop from stock)

The black wagon in my signature is at stock height.

I started noticing that when someone went very low, they often were not still around with that 124 years later. There are a few, but far more examples of excitement-followed-by-exit on aggressively lowered cars.

Frankly, if you want to run that kind of low, bag it?

·
Registered
662 Posts
That's a nice-looking TE. Andre. Without wanting to be disrespectful to you or your scene, I've got to beg you: don't kill the car!

I don't 'look down' on the modders out there at all, by the way. They tend to be totally committed to their cars, tenacious when pursuing their goal and often skilled problem-solving engineers too. It's just that 124's are the cars I love best, that's all. To me and many others, the whole point of this particular car is the magic blend of practicality, superb ride and handling, peerless design and build quality and most importantly, understated class. Robbing it of all that just to make a trendy visual statement leaves me cold - sad, even.

124's can look amazing when lightly modded - check the Lorinser kitted cars and the Brabus and AMG stuff - is this too tame for you?

But then it's your car, and I'm just a 40 year-old guy with kids who drives slowly, so you should probably ignore this and get chopping.

Good luck anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
H&R makes 2 levels of drop for your wagon. I tried the mild level on my silver wagon, and decided it looked GREAT but sacrificed more ride than I was willing, so I reverted to MB stock "Sportline" height (only 1/2" inch drop from stock)

The black wagon in my signature is at stock height.

I started noticing that when someone went very low, they often were not still around with that 124 years later. There are a few, but far more examples of excitement-followed-by-exit on aggressively lowered cars.

Frankly, if you want to run that kind of low, bag it?
Hmm that makes sense. I just hate wheel gaps, thats all. H&R has the "Sport Spring" listed on their website with appx. drop of 1"... I hope that's the mild level one you're talking about but I don't see any other springs for the 300te. I thought about air suspension but I rather not since it's a daily. (I have the on my lexus and it cost be close to $3000)...I paid $1300 for the benz.

That's a nice-looking TE. Andre. Without wanting to be disrespectful to you or your scene, I've got to beg you: don't kill the car!

I don't 'look down' on the modders out there at all, by the way. They tend to be totally committed to their cars, tenacious when pursuing their goal and often skilled problem-solving engineers too. It's just that 124's are the cars I love best, that's all. To me and many others, the whole point of this particular car is the magic blend of practicality, superb ride and handling, peerless design and build quality and most importantly, understated class. Robbing it of all that just to make a trendy visual statement leaves me cold - sad, even.

124's can look amazing when lightly modded - check the Lorinser kitted cars and the Brabus and AMG stuff - is this too tame for you?

But then it's your car, and I'm just a 40 year-old guy with kids who drives slowly, so you should probably ignore this and get chopping.

Good luck anyway.
I see where you are coming from and I respect your passion for these cars. I also love the kits that these companies make for our cars but they are just not in the price range I'm willing to spend on a daily driver. I have a big engine (2jz-gte) swap project for my lexus getting done this fall and I rather not spend so much on my daily. I'm looking for a 2-3" to close the wheel gap, fresh repaint, amg wheels, light window tint.

Thanks for your input, fellas. People here at Benzworld > MBWorld...

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I would grab a set of h&r/eibachs then cut a coil off those. Our springs are linear so it is fine to do. Combined with 8mm pads you'll be sitting pretty low.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts