Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi benzers

I have a problem with our 94 E320 estate, hoping someone here has some advice

When I try to fold down the rear seats, the right half seat back appears to be locked in place. The seat bottoms both fold up OK, and the left seat back does fold forward. Looking at the mechanism on the left side I looks to me like the lock that engages the seat back is not releasing when the seat bottom goes forwards.

Does anyone know a way to release this?

thanks.
Andrew

·
Registered
2 Posts
The seat backs are locked when the rear doors are closed.
A plunger located in the rear door frame releases when the door is open - check that is not jammed in.
This caught me a few times.

David

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see the plunger, unfortunately this is not the problem. I squeezed a fat finger into the bottom part of the lock mechanism, and I could feel a metal rod attached at the bottom, but flapping about freely at the top. I'm sure this is the problem. When I felt inside the working lock, I could feel the rod attached at both ends.

Any ideas how I can either attach the rod or pull the mech so that the lock releases?

I'm sure this is one of these problems that an expert sees from time to time, and there must be a trick to get it fixed.... either that or it's an expensive trip to the dealer, who will probably pull body panels off and charge me a four figure sum to get the seat to fold down!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SUCCESS!
I decided to use a bit of brute force. Lay on my back and give the seat back a swift double footer, and it released.

However, the rod is still unattached, and now I'm a little concerned that the seat back is not secure and might go forward in an accident....

Any ideas on how to attach this rod? Does the trip come away beside this seat somehow? Looks pretty structural to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello migmog!! I think I have the same problem with my van !! the backs of the rear double seat have stuck upright and I can't lower them. Did you fix your problem? Can you give me a hand? Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
7,038 Posts
Hello migmog!! I think I have the same problem with my van !! the backs of the rear double seat have stuck upright and I can't lower them. Did you fix your problem? Can you give me a hand? Thank you!!
this is a 12 year old thread, and migmog hasn't been online this forum since 2009....

'van' ? no W124 I know of would be described as a 'van', so what year/model are we talking about?

·
Registered
W124
4,908 Posts
I have this problem from time to time on the '94 e320TE. You need to remember to pull out the plunger when pulling on the seat back. Sometimes you need some help as one person pulls hard on the seat back while the other pulls the plunger out. The safety plunger mechanism may be sticking you should try to lubricate the mechanism so it doesn't happen more often.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
7,038 Posts
isn't there another release lever that the seat bottom locks down when its in place? I might be confusing the 124 wagon with my old volvo wagon which had a similar mechanism.

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,301 Posts
In these wagons, all the mechanisms are made of untreated metal and surface corrode like crazy. Sometimes just a modicum of spray teflon does absolute wonders.....even if it still looks corroded.

I'm not so anal that I'm going after all the surface corrosion that Seattle's weather and Kentucky applied to this car.

Kevin

·
Registered
1995 e320ce. 1993 230 TE. 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
672 Posts
And don't catch the seatbelt in the mechanism, then you will have real problems, ask me how I know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts