Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 E320 Estate, 91 300 CE
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My license plate lights stopped working recently. Maybe a bad ground wire? My rear wiper also doesn't work, maybe this has something to do with it?

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,422 Posts
My license plate lights stopped working recently. Maybe a bad ground wire? My rear wiper also doesn't work, maybe this has something to do with it?
Look for a fuse for the wiper....turn on your lights and using a VOM, check to see if there is current at the license plate light bulb ends. No current, no light. Always rule out the simple stuff first.:thumbsup:

Is your burned out bulb icon lit on the dash?

Kevin

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
There's a good chance you have a break in the wiring harness that runs through the bellows from the body to the hatch. Good luck, 'cause it's a bitch to monkey with that narrow gap, and the bellows don't like to come out in one piece. Probably should plan on buying new ones before embarking on your diagnostics.

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
There's a good chance you have a break in the wiring harness that runs through the bellows from the body to the hatch. Good luck, 'cause it's a bitch to monkey with that narrow gap, and the bellows don't like to come out in one piece. Probably should plan on buying new ones before embarking on your diagnostics.
True, but it might be something WAY easier than that. Testing the bulb socket for current and looking for a wiper fuse will tell him a lot, first. Then he can check his grounds back there. If all else fails, he can dive into the harness and yes, it's a beeetch.

Kevin

·
Registered
95 E320 Estate, 91 300 CE
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I just replaced the lights with fresh ones, and they work fine. The old ones were burnt out, I think I got a size too big maybe?

The fuse for the wiper in the fuse box? All the fuses are fine. Is there an inline one somewhere?

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
True, but it might be something WAY easier than that. Testing the bulb socket for current and looking for a wiper fuse will tell him a lot, first. Then he can check his grounds back there. If all else fails, he can dive into the harness and yes, it's a beeetch.

Kevin
Let's hope so. I recently had to tow my Audi home 'cause a break in the hatch harness caused the brake light fuse to blow, which in turn locked the shifter solenoid from allowing you to put it into gear. A 15 cent fuse led to a $75 tow bill. bloody hell

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
So I just replaced the lights with fresh ones, and they work fine. The old ones were burnt out, I think I got a size too big maybe?

The fuse for the wiper in the fuse box? All the fuses are fine. Is there an inline one somewhere?
I don't know what you mean, "I think I got a size too big maybe?".

You should be able to read the label on your fusebox cover that tells you where the fuse is for the back wiper. I've never had mine go out....probably it's on a circuit with something else. If the label is missing from your fuse lid, I can go out and find that fuse location. Fill in some more profile info like yr and mileage.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts