Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Mercedes 300D, 1987 Mercedes 300TD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have the part numbers, give me a couple of days to post them up-the ship has terrible internet and I cannot load ECSTuning to find my order number.
Also, if you want the city lamps to work, it's fairly simple to do. To be wired Euro-proper, only the city lamps will light up with the parking lamps vice being tied to the corner markers.
That would be much appreciated, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,847 Posts
fyi, ECStuning has been on my boycott list for years. they went from a decent supplier up til the early 2010s to horrible about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
54 Posts
fyi, ECStuning has been on my boycott list for years. they went from a decent supplier up til the early 2010s to horrible about 5 years ago.
Damn, not good to hear. I've been using them for over a decade now without much, if any, issues; even throw me a bone now and then.

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,247 Posts
I hooked up the vacuum adjusters and the Euro wipers with my Depos. I got the vacuum adjuster from Japan and then sourced the parts for the wipers from Germany and Great Britain. I love the adjusters and use them a lot. I would seriously think twice about the wipers. I only completed the project because I had already put money and time into it, but it ended up being VERY expensive. One of the motors I got originally started working intermittently, so I had to find another one, and the wiper blades for the Euro lights are basically unobtanium at this point, so if your "kit" for installing the wiper assemblies doesn't have them in it or they are in bad shape, you will be in for some serious sticker shock, if you can even find the blade frames. I found some new old stock in Germany and paid dearly for them.

Also, I put LEDs in place of the city lights and wired them to come on with the ignition, sort of like DLRs.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 R129
92 Posts
I bought a set of Depos on eBay and had a local shop install a set of Morimoto LED projectors. The car looks stock when the lights are off, but at night, this set-up outperforms the OEM xenons in my R129.

HTH

Ben

·
Registered
1978 Mercedes 300D, 1987 Mercedes 300TD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I bought a set of Depos on eBay and had a local shop install a set of Morimoto LED projectors. The car looks stock when the lights are off, but at night, this set-up outperforms the OEM xenons in my R129.

HTH

Ben
You happen to have any pics? I bet it looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,247 Posts
I am also interested in more information about the Morimoto LED conversion. When I have seen other projector conversions, the back of the glass was ground down to be clear.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 R129
92 Posts
I'm sure that the lens have an effect on the pattern, but to my eye, it is not a detrimental effect. I believe this set-up is superior to both the OEM R129 xenon headlights and the projector lights in my wife's Outback. The fact that the shop is also very precise in correctly aiming the beam pattern makes a huge difference. How many times have you been blinded by the poor factory set-up on newer cars?

HTH

Ben

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,919 Posts
You shouldn't be blinded by cars with factory Xenon or LED headlights. If so there is a problem, such as the shutter mechanism not working or the swaybar attachment not hooked up etc, etc, etc. Can't/won't vouch for aftermarket stuff.

Halogen headlights converted to take Xenon are a whole other matter, and these are usually the main offender to being blinded by oncoming traffic.

Also be aware that Xenon bulbs age with time resulting in dimmer light output.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,919 Posts
LED technology is still in its infancy, especially on vehicles.

The best lighting is still Xenon (using projectors) until LED can catch up and surpass at some point in the future.

Another thing going against LED is the ridiculous replacement cost of a headlight unit since a "burned out bulb" requires replacement of the entire headlight unit. Until economies of scale signficantly brings down the price, Xenon is still the way to go.

Avoid Bi-Xenons though.

In addition, outdated US lighting regulations that harken back to somewhere around the end of WW2 and the birth of Rock & Roll really limit what is possible.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 R129
92 Posts
I went by the installer today to have the fog lamps installed that were back-ordered. I asked the owner about the fluting; he said he was prepared to smooth some off, but after inspecting the beam pattern and aiming them, he felt the effect was not enough to mess with it. The important part is that I'm very satisfied.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,847 Posts
yeah, these headlight buckets have tempered glass front plates, so that 'smoothing off' would require some serious glass grinding, starting with a coarse 60 grit or so carborundum, lots of water, and a rotating tool like a brass cylinder, then once the glass back is flat, go 150, 300, 600, 1200, 2400 grit, and finally polishing compound. good luck with that. bet it would take the better part of a week with a motorized grinding setup (2 days to get it flat, then a day each for the finer grits)

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,185 Posts
We should have a sticky on aiming aftermarket headlights. A PO was so paranoid about aming the driver's headlight into traffic, he skewed it to the right so it's almost useless. You should see it fog conditions.....looks almost like an X.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 1987 300TD and I'm in love with the car.
View attachment 2612728
I really would like to upgrade the headlights to something nicer/brighter/newer. Anyone know any options? I've heard of Hella and Bosch but can't seem to find a good set anywhere.

For reference, these are the headlights with the parking lights and all that. I'd like to keep those and the wipers if possible, I love that look. Any help is appreciated!!
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 1987 300TD and I'm in love with the car.
View attachment 2612728
I really would like to upgrade the headlights to something nicer/brighter/newer. Anyone know any options? I've heard of Hella and Bosch but can't seem to find a good set anywhere.

For reference, these are the headlights with the parking lights and all that. I'd like to keep those and the wipers if possible, I love that look. Any help is appreciated!!
The OEM headlights are not sealed beams (as they can appear) but are Lens housings with replaceable halogen bulbs. If you want brighter, look into different bulbs. Assume that you want to keep the original look so you will probably want to keep the OEM housings because they fit within the headlight doors (surround panels). You can change out the front turn signal housings to a clear Euro Style and use amber bulbs inside.

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
The OEM headlights are not sealed beams (as they can appear) but are Lens housings with replaceable halogen bulbs. If you want brighter, look into different bulbs. Assume that you want to keep the original look so you will probably want to keep the OEM housings because they fit within the headlight doors (surround panels). You can change out the front turn signal housings to a clear Euro Style and use amber bulbs inside.
the pre-facelift US DOT stock OE headlights are junk. the pattern is awful, brighter bulbs will just make them glare more.

swapping them for the ECE (Euro) Depo replicas (or some real ECE Bosch) lamps is a huge improvement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 190e but went through the same with headlight upgrades...
1 higher wattage bulbs with relays and upgraded wire...slight improvement
2 retrofit projectors with HID ...bigger improvement.
The plan was to get clear polycarbonate lens as the oem lens spreads the light and a clear lens would not but no one makes for w201 but they do for W124
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-W124-Clear-Polycarbonate-Covers-Headlight-for-retrofit-Pair-4mm/123794363254?hash=item1cd2b81376:g:jm0AAOSw9TFc~eZN
There is a DIY for the lens but no time for that.
3 Got a set of projector headlights and combined with HID

and this made a BIG BIG difference. About two years now and no problems. The major pain is to change the park light
bulbs , the easiest way is to remove the complete headlight. I 've received compliments about them though they look a bit 'bling' but I don't care as I am able to see better at night without having to put on a set of Cibie Super Oscar rally lights.
went through the same with a Passat B3 and when I got the Hella de projectors headlights for it....a damn good investment.
I guess what I am trying to say is get a set of projector headlamps.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts