Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Mercedes 300D, 1987 Mercedes 300TD
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 1987 300TD and I'm in love with the car.

I really would like to upgrade the headlights to something nicer/brighter/newer. Anyone know any options? I've heard of Hella and Bosch but can't seem to find a good set anywhere.

For reference, these are the headlights with the parking lights and all that. I'd like to keep those and the wipers if possible, I love that look. Any help is appreciated!!

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
53 Posts
I just dropped in a set of Magnetti Marelli/Automotive Lighting corners and lights. Seems like they’re good quality and they’re working great thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 E300, 91 300TE, 84 190D
772 Posts
Search on ebay for "mercedes benz 124 headlights". You will find DEPO brand which many people here have bought, including me!

Also search this forum for the many headlight threads explaining differences in headlight styles 1986-93 and then 1994-95, and the issue with keeping wipers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just dropped in a set of Magnetti Marelli/Automotive Lighting corners and lights. Seems like they’re good quality and they’re working great thus far.

Any chance you have a link?

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As soon as the rest of the parts get in, I’ll be finishing the install of them.

Any updates/pics would be greatly appreciated. You can even message me if you like. I'm for sure gonna be doing this to my wagon at some point.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,829 Posts
I have the Depo 'euro style' lights on both my pre-facelift W124's, they are excellent, at least as good as the post-facelift, a tighter pattern since they are ECE instead of DOT. I use Sylvania "XV" bulbs in them, which are a little whiter and brighter than the standard bulbs.without having a lame blue coat. They use a different connector block than the US lights, get the sedan taillight plastic block (I can look up the PN later), take apart the US 4-pin headlight plug, remove the pins, and place them in the 6 pin tail light shell. the missing 5th connection is a little bulb that lights up the bucket for parking, its a euro thing, don't bother with it.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,829 Posts
oh, those Magnetti's have the same 5-in-6 pin connector, so what I said about adapting the plug for the Depo's applies to them too.

I believe the 6 pin plug shell is A0115455028

oh, I don't think anyone mentioned it, you can't keep the US wipers, they are totally wrong for the larger euro headlights.I just removed the wipers entirely. the turn signals are compatible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the Depo 'euro style' lights on both my pre-facelift W124's, they are excellent, at least as good as the post-facelift, a tighter pattern since they are ECE instead of DOT. I use Sylvania "XV" bulbs in them, which are a little whiter and brighter than the standard bulbs.without having a lame blue coat. They use a different connector block than the US lights, get the sedan taillight plastic block (I can look up the PN later), take apart the US 4-pin headlight plug, remove the pins, and place them in the 6 pin tail light shell. the missing 5th connection is a little bulb that lights up the bucket for parking, its a euro thing, don't bother with it.

I believe I’m gonna end up purchasing these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-1986-93-Mercedes-Benz-W124-Euro-Headlights-Set-Corner-Lights-Wiring-Set/122539141814?hash=item1c87e6eab6:g:QpsAAOSw54xUV9QT

I assume they’re just like the ones you have and that wiring adapter helps with changing the 4-pin to the 6-pin.

And I know about the US to Euro wiper issues, I’m gonna try to find the part and do that conversion. I love that look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vacuum adjusters ? None of my W124s have vacuum adjusters on the headlights.
I’m not too sure where I heard about the vacuum adjusters. I guess it’s just something I misheard or saw somewhere.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,110 Posts
The big white circle is the vacuum diaphragm for the headlight adjustment, and the nipple is just above the electrical connector.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BLAAAOSwAaJaIWLB/s-l1600.jpg

You'll need to add the Euro switch bezel and run vacuum lines i/o to get them to work.

https://www.benzworld.org/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down/http://www.2phast.com/500e/tempamatic/finished.jpg

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,899 Posts
Hella for the win on the headlights.

BTW, you don't really need those vacuum adjusters unless you're towing a caravan, a horsetrailer or anything else above 1500lbs off a hitch. Neither of which apply to a US spec car.

OTOH, if you've got a trunk full of gold bars you're hauling then yeah you'll want those headlight adjusters working even without the hitch. And for the record, those headlight adjusters are failing left and right due to being way past their sell by date resulting in a automatic failure at the annual inspection.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
yeah, you don't need to hook up the vacuum adjusters... the Depo's have them too

re: the included adapter with the Depo's, its just 4 loose wires, its awful. get a pair of the 6 pin taillight plug shells ($5 each or something at the dealer) like I described, unsnap the US 4-pin plug shell and move the 4 pin sockets into the 6-pin shell, its easy, and its much cleaner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, you don't need to hook up the vacuum adjusters... the Depo's have them too

re: the included adapter with the Depo's, its just 4 loose wires, its awful. get a pair of the 6 pin taillight plug shells ($5 each or something at the dealer) like I described, unsnap the US 4-pin plug shell and move the 4 pin sockets into the 6-pin shell, its easy, and its much cleaner.
Any chance you have a part number?

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
I believe the 6 pin plug shell is A0115455028 ... this is the same shell used on the tail lights of a 124 sedan/coupe.

ignore pin 3 on the euro 6-pin... aka the 'city lights', unless you really want to go there... thats a small bulb that goes in the bottom of the main headlight bucket to light it up when the parking lights are on. its a ECE thing, not DOT, and I'm pretty sure driving with your parking lights on is considered a ticketable offense in many jurisdictions in the USA.

·
Registered
1992 300E 2.6
53 Posts
I have the part numbers, give me a couple of days to post them up-the ship has terrible internet and I cannot load ECSTuning to find my order number.
Also, if you want the city lamps to work, it's fairly simple to do. To be wired Euro-proper, only the city lamps will light up with the parking lamps vice being tied to the corner markers.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts