Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im roy from holland,

i`m building an w124 whit a w210 om 606 engine.

but i`m having some problems and i hope anyone here can help me.

first of all ,sorry for some bad writing.

can someone tell me the best fuel pomp that i can use
can i re-use my automatic from my atmo.24v diesel?
and are there some other problems i will have during the switch?

for the intercooler i have a sollucion but the automatic is my fear,i hope the same one will fitt again.

thanx for your time to reed this and i hope there is someone here who can help me.

friendly greatings Roy from Holland.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi,thanx for your messages back,
again sorry for my bad writing,

i had an Z on school back in the days.

i bought an 606 engine from a w210 turbodiesel,only the engine because i did not like electronics from the new cars and in scared that the w210 automatic has this.

i now have an 300d 24v automatic and i like to reuse this automatic.

but i dont know if this is ok or that i need some other gearbox and iff yes,which one?

i hope that the sump of the turbodiesel 210 wil fitt on my w124.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Hi Roy, I believe your 124 has a 722.4 transmission which isn't built to handle much torque. I think you'll want the 722.3 transmission which was used with the OM603 turbo engines. A 722.4 will technically work, but it may not be a good longterm fit.

The 210 OM606 sump will not clear the 6 cylinder swaybar. It's possible that you could use the swaybar from a V8 model, but I don't know that it will completely clear the 210 sump.

An injection pump from an OM603 turbo would be your best bet for manual option, though you could theoretically use the stock pump from your current OM606. Your pump lacks the ALDA which is used to add fuel enrichment when the engine is under boost

btw: There's a Dutch gentleman who dropped an OM606 into his R129 some years ago. I'll look for his information.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yesss thats what i need!!!

i ve reed you whole 11 pages and i read that story about the boost controller,
my englisch to reed and talk is very good but i can follow 50% of the story.

im building the turbo engine for the fun and to have it,im not going to make and traffic light racer so i think my current tranny wil do the job very wel.
i always say,i`m using it,but i`m not overusing it,replace oil every year engine and tranny,
yes i know i`m crazy but ik works perfectley.

and whitch differential would you recquire?

about the sump,cant i re-use my 606 atmo sump to fit under the 606 turbo?

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Yes, I believe you can use the 124 OM606 sump, but you'll also need the oil pump. I assume your stock differential has a 2:65 ratio, right? If so, that should be fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
how can i see whats the ratio of my differential?

because my 124 is from 87,original with an 300d 12v,i think the original differential is stil on it.

now the car is build like an 94 model inc.engine.

it runn`s 215 kmh.

and is it the oil pump or is it the metal filter with the pipe on it what has to be fitted over from my engine on the td engine?

thanx

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
I think you might be able to just swap over the oil pump pickup tube, but given that it's used and has unique wear patterns from the gears, I don't recommend that approach.

Was your original 603 engine a turbo? If so, then it should definitely have the 2.65 diff. You can check by crawling under the rear of the car and looking at the lower righthand corner of the diff housing. There's a tab cast in the housing that will have the diff ratio stamped there--you may need to use a wire brush to clean that area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no it was originalli an 300d 12v 113hp.

i will take a look tomorrow after my work.

have a nice tool for the drill to make it clean.

i like it when my automatic wil work behind te 300td engine.
but my engine makes al lot of tpm,for my fealing,it runs at 120 kmh arround 3500 tpm.

but,the pick up pipe is the biggest problem for fitting the sump?

sorry for my questions but somethings i must reed 10 times to get it in my head.

thanx.

oh and cascadia,where is that?

greatings.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Now that I think about it, I'm not sure the pump output is sufficient on the non-turbo OM606. It should have piston squirters, but no feed outlet for a turbo. I believe you'll want a new oil pump from a turbo OM603. I'm also wondering if your current OM606 has the oil pan with the removable extension on the side. I believe this might be needed to add the oil capacity you'll lose when removing the stock 606 pan.

Cascadia is the Pacific Northwest of North America

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you mean that with the stock 606 pan he will have less oil in the sump than an 603 sump?

and is it possible to use the 603 sump on the 606 turbo engine with an 603 oil pump?

how did you did it to make it fit?
and where is comming te turbo oil outlet?
is that comming back in the sump or is is comming back in the unerside of the engine block?

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
To ease the discussion, let's clarify some nomenclature:

• 606.910 = naturally aspirated 24v engine
  • 606.962 = turbocharged 24v engine
  • 603.912 = naturally aspirated 12v engine
  • 603.960 = turbocharged 12v engine
My concern is whether the stock 606.910 pan has a large enough capacity. I believe the 603.960 and 606.962 have roughly the same capacity. The 606.962 doesn't have the side extension, but instead that amount is made up by the lack of a cutout for the swaybar, as found on the 124 pans. Confused yet?

On my 606.962 engine, I swapped over the pan and a brand new oil pump from a 603.960.

The turbo drain runs into the side of the block on a 606.962

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okee clearly,very good,not confused any more!

i will take al look tomorro at my 124.
i cant take a look unther the oil pan because it has a metal engine cover at the underside.
going to try to feel under the oilpan if the swaybar had enough space or not with this pan.

but iff,,, i was thinking,,, the oilpan of my 606.910 will fit under the 606.962,can the oil pump be at the same place to sit under the 606.962 without adjustments?

say plug and play?

or am i missing something right now?

im happy to hear that about the oil decrease.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just have take a look and my oil pan has that option at the side and has arround 2 big man fingers between the pan and the swaybar.

so if i think it could be possible to build over only the pan and the metal tube from the pump.

correct me if i`m wrong

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
zeitgeist i think your getting al little bit crazy because of me beacause its so quiet right now :p but i`ve come much more in progress with your information.

maby you have a link from the ducht guy with his 300td sl ?

thanx.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
i just have take a look and my oil pan has that option at the side and has arround 2 big man fingers between the pan and the swaybar.

so if i think it could be possible to build over only the pan and the metal tube from the pump.

correct me if i`m wrong
So it looks like your pan will work, and you want to see if you can swap the pick-up tube from the 606.910 onto the 606.962. Technically it should work, since the pumps look identical except for the pick-up tubes. The problem is that it's not just a tube, it also has a machined surface that supports the pump gear shafts, and the gears themselves. The pic I'm attaching shows the wear on a pick-up tube machined surface from my old 603.960. The tolerances are tight, and I just don't like mixing and matching with something this critical.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
okay i understand,
it fits 1 on 1 but its the image wear What makes the difference.

thanks for this advice.
i go look for a new oil pump,its the real heart of the engine.

i`ve got already an fuel pump and some arms were i can put on the engine mounts.

and i`ve just find out there is an new law here in holland that makes it possible to my 124 to gets tax free because its an oldtimer.

first it has to be 25 years old and after building year 86 it was inpossible to get tax free but the redisigned law makes is possible to get a car taxfree from 87 when its 26 years old and my 124 is from 87,so it get tax free and makes im moore in money and with the turbo 24v its going to a very hi price for my self to have.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts