Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL500
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just wondering if you guys would be willing to post pictures of your W124 E class stereo installs. I have been sourcing audio gear for my 1994 E420 and would like to see some pictures for some ideas. I am especially interested in the sub installation as I have read it can be tricky to get the right bass sound into the cabin.

Well, thanks in advance for posting pictures and it would be great to see what people have.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
I just sold my sub and amp yesterday
because these cars are not meant for heavy base in the trunk due to the gas tank behind the rear seat.

you can go for it but you will need about 2000 watts of pure RMS base to actually feel something.

·
Registered
452 Posts
That's one method, but that's if you want the bass to feel like somebody is punching you in the kidnies when a bass drum hits.

I don't have pics of my install and I'm too lazy to snap some. But if you want bass that will sound tight and balanced, you're only choice is to cut a hole. I cut a 10" hole under my rear first aid kit, and another hole in the first aid kit cover (if you do it carefully and put grills over the holes, it looks pretty good). My sub fires straight up and is flush-mounted to the underside of the rear deck in the trunk. I built a rack under the subwoofer enclosure that's carefully measured so that the box is held in place simply by pressure. It hasn't budged in 8+ months, and sounds great.

Others create ports and vent the bass in elsewhere. Unless you know exactly how long to make the ports, your bass will sound muddy. Furthermore, ported enclosures don't tend to be as punchy. However, they tend to rumble things around a bit more.

If you're not a huge bass freak and/or you don't want to do anything drastic, I recommend getting some rear speakers that have good bass response and call it a day.

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
that sounds right as well

hey man can you take some pics of your sound setup I want to see this..

I was thinking about something like that.

·
Registered
w124 200E'89
38 Posts
yup making the hole under ur first aid kit is very correct as i did it too ,use a 10" kicker solobaric with a good 500w amps to support it with the correct size of the box u'll get a good bass sound ,just my suggestion thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
if anyone can post stereo removal for the w124 (94-95) models and pics that would be of great help hence this particular model did not come with the Becker stereo its different the problem is removing the faceplate so as to get to the head unit chassis the removal steps on mercedesshop.com do not cover this area otherwise everything else was cake!

·
Registered
1990 300e, 1999 Saturn SL2
29 Posts
I went a different route, as I didn't want to cut holes in the back parcel shelf. I am very pleased with the sound.

Down side, less leg room in passenger side. Fortunately 75% of the time, I'm in the car by myself, and the other 25% of the time, my G/F is only 5'-4".

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 300e, 1999 Saturn SL2
29 Posts
This Sub is a Pioneer Premier 8" Sub, build the enclosure myself, amp is in the trunk mounted to the parcel shelf on a fabric covered wood support shelf. Headunit is the JVC pictured unit below, and the other speakers are stock.

All this together, totally changed the listening experience. Bass is a welcome improvement, and the stock speakers sound so much better without having to produce any bass now.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
94-95 w124 came with a blaupunkt unit and 10 stacker (boot mount). the stereo should have four holes on the face (each end) you need to silmulteanously stick rods in the holes and pull the stereo out. all four holes must be pushed at, at the same time while pulling stereo out.

the stereo will bring with it all wires. You will find that the speaker wires from the stereo go nowhere. Coz there is an amp under the front passenger carpet (under the black plate). there will be two units, one is a the SRS unit (do not touch this).

then you're on your merry way!

·
Registered
1992 300TE 4Matic
6 Posts
I have a '92 wagon that has the guts of the stereo in the left rear wheel well. Is it a big deal to hijack the speaker wiring to go to the head unit and the fader wheel in the center console?

·
Registered
93' W124 E36 AMG ; 71' Cadillac Eldorado
1,008 Posts
^^

Depends... If You want to do it like the factory did, it's quite a deal. Basically You have to remove the seats and the carpet to access the cable "ducts". If You have no problem with removal of the interior, then it should be about a day of work.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
I've just finished my 6th 124 audio system, and I've backed off many of my earlier viewpoints.

This last system got Alpine x100 head unit (incredible w an ipod), pdx5.5 Alpine amp with a quality sealed box 10" sub in trunk.

I went whole hog on 2 systems, including cutting the rear deck and firing 2 8s right into the cabin with serious power.

Bottom line is a simple high quality sub dropped into the trunk with a decent amount of power (250/300 watts) creates an excellent outcome, and I am entirely satisfied. If you want the kidney punch, this is not the way.

Big Pete probably runs the best sounding car on these boards, or close to it, so listen to him. :)

But that Alpine pdx5.5 is a class D amp (counter to all audiophiles preference) but it is built unique in many ways and uses less power, a plus for our old cars.

That amp also fits right up where the Becker receiver used to sit and that allows for a stealth install.

If money be no object, the jehnert panels are great and worth the $1000 or so it would take to get them in your hands. These give base like it was meant to be and they look stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did my stereo install in about 2.5 hours. the ducts can be accessed from under the front lift out carpet and from slipping under the sills. its a bit harder this way but takes less time.

·
Registered
1993 300CE
49 Posts
I did my stereo install in about 2.5 hours. the ducts can be accessed from under the front lift out carpet and from slipping under the sills. its a bit harder this way but takes less time.
If you know an electrician, ask them if they have a "fish tape" you can borrow. It makes pulling wire though the duct much easier without having to dismantle as much of the interior.

Fish tape is just a roll of spring metal that can push through conduit, duct, or hole to retrieve a wire or wire bundle.

Here is a link to better explain it with photos:
Fish Tape - What Is a Fish Tape - Electrical Fish Tape

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you know an electrician, ask them if they have a "fish tape" you can borrow. It makes pulling wire though the duct much easier without having to dismantle as much of the interior.

Fish tape is just a roll of spring metal that can push through conduit, duct, or hole to retrieve a wire or wire bundle.

Here is a link to better explain it with photos:
Fish Tape - What Is a Fish Tape - Electrical Fish Tape
Perfect. Thanks for the suggestion. i will go out and find this tool for the next job i do. Cheers mate

1 - 20 of 21 Posts