Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the forum advise if a W124 steering wheel is the correct size/compatibility for our w126? Specifically, i need to change the foam wheel in my 1985 280SE, charming though it is! Cant seem to find the nice thicker W126 wheel but see several W124's.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I've done it and can say they're a perfect fit

W123, W116, W124, W126, W201 and R107 are all the same in regards to steering wheel fitment

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
No problem...

..leather wrapped factory unit I landed from a fellow forum member - worked like a charm with a fresh airpillow....only thing is, I miss the big wheel.

If you drive at 4 and 8 like I do, you'll want the big wheel.

Hey, did the big wheel like in my SD ever come in leather? If not, I'm gonna give wrapping it a shot..

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Just put in a Later Gen II Leather Wheel.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Having secured both as replacements for mine & my daughter's car, I find them to be the same diameter in size. The appearance of the 126 being a larger wheel seems to be an optical illusion.

And yes, they both fit like a glove in the 126, 124, even the 201.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Wheel size, 126 Gen 2?

Broke out the tape measure yesterday: stock urethane wheel that came with the SEC, 425mm diameter. The very nice leather-wrapped wheel I was lucky to find here, 400mm.

And since it was a slow day, measured both the 107 and Gen 1 SD, both 425mm.

So, anyone have a 425mm airbag wheel in their SEC?

·
SuperModerator
13,279 Posts
I was told SEC steering wheels were like 5mm smaller diameter. I guess not then.
And didnt realize any SEC came with a urethane wheel. Thought they were all leather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts