Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

· Registered
1996 S124 E220 - 1985 VW T3 1.9DG Camper - 1998 BMW E36 328i Cabriolet
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is intended as a reference for 124 series original tool rolls and their contents, together with related parts supplied from new including jack, first-aid kit, roadside warning triangle and documents wallet.

The following information is intended both to help you locate the currently available MB replacement tool kit parts as well as to establish a record of what tools 'should' be in our cars (for the sake of the curious, those with OCD. and those who are aiming for absolute originality with a restoratoin project')

Any details and pictures you can add would of course be most welcome.

As a good starting point, here's a picture (first posted by augapfel) which shows a complete kit as found in a 300E. It still has it's packaging that states compatibility with the saloon models (with alloy wheels.) This will be the correct kit for most remaining 124's, but if you know of any official variations on this set by model or age, please let us know.

Surgical instrument

ORIGINAL 300E TOOL KIT - CONTENTS

1. Fabric tool roll: dark red, MB branded, with tape ties
2. Pliers, small
3. Screwdriver, plastic handle
4. 2 removable & reversible drivers with a total of 4 heads
5. Spanners X 2, Heyco MB branded (sizes TBC)
6. Socket (box) wrench (for spark plugs and manual sun-roof operation)
7. Socket wrench (wheel-brace extension used in combination with above)
8. Socket wrench (ring spanner)
9. Alloy wheel alignment tool, threaded rod

In addition to the tools, jack and first-aid kit, I think all cars had a small spare fuse box.
(Clear plastic with MB branding containing 9 assorted ceramic fuses )

Here is the diagram and part numbers for the currently available equipment from the EPC.

PART 58 - TOOLS & ACCESSORIES.

Thanks to member Mbeige who originally researched and posted this info in the companion thread to this one which details the OEM stickers and decals for the 124's

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w12...eries-decals-stickers-labels-restoration.html

Auto part Diagram Automotive window part Line art

5: A 140 583 00 15
JACK

14: A 000 983 89 10
FELT STRIP 25 MM

17: A 124 899 00 97
BASE IN JACK TAKE-UP SHELL

26: A 124 580 10 03
TOOL BAG (WITH TOOLS)

29: A 314 585 00 01
TOOL BAG (BAG ONLY)

32: A 000 581 03 17
SCREWDRIVER

35: A 123 581 00 67
SPARK PLUG WRENCH

38: A 123 581 00 01
SOCKET WRENCH (no longer available)

41: A 221 581 00 01
SOCKET WRENCH

56: A 124 580 00 10
SPARE PART BOX FUSE

83: A 210 899 01 61
BAG LICENSE DOCUMENTS

NOT SHOWN IN DIAGRAM:
000 590 59 12
ROADSIDE WARNING TRIANGLE, FOLDING​

The PN's above are all updates, it may be that there is no fully original kit available new. There is no part number included here for the pliers, wheel alignment tool or ring spanner.

There is also another 'classic' tool set available new from MB. I can't find a model guide for it, it may be a new kit supplied as a generic replacement for all 60's - 90's cars. As you can see it has a blue bag, no pliers, a single driver blade and a set of 4 spanners. It may also be an early 202 series kit from 1993.

Suspension part Auto part Bicycle fork Suspension Tool

Blue Cobalt blue Electric blue Product Bag

TOOL BAG + TOOLS
A 107 580 02 03

This PN checked out for sale at a German parts supplier for 97 Euros ($127). The kit in the main list above is currently priced at $92 from the same source. I have not ordered one so can't confirm whether this is the old red colored bag or not.

If you learn any more, please post it here - I'm sure it might help some restorations or show cars in future (here's hoping there'll be more 124's in that catergory one day.

Thanks for your help,

Tim​

· Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
11,427 Posts
View attachment 424777

Tim,
Here is my bone stock, tool kit....also pictured is my yet unused first aid kit (knowing how first aid kits last, I'd be unwilling to use any of the items for real).

I'm curious about item 83? Where is that usually found? Mine might have been taken out by the ex...not sure. I took a pic of the first aid kit in place..notice that next to it is a plastic tab that looks like it holds something...perhaps the document folder?

Still waiting for decent weather and taking all the stock pics of the stickers, sorry. :(

Kevin

Attachments

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good pictures Kevin.

Yes, the first-aid kit's strictly historical now! I've kept mine in the car too but carry a new usable one elsewhwere.

My car came with the document wallet (no. 83), but it may be that a) it was a Euro thing or b) it was introduced late in the model's life. I have seen a light-weight see-through plastic version on ebay holding the same stuff, but it looks a bit 'cheap'.

Number 83 is a black fabric pouch with elastic sides and a flap to close. It's sized to hold the owner's manual, service book and radio manual, plus booklets for the MB Touring Guarantee, security system, dealership directory etc.. There's a pocket for the radio code card too.

I don't think it had a dedicated storage location in the car, unless the glove-box has anything built-in to hold it? I have an airbag where that should be, so mine lives in the door pocket when I take it with me.

The storage location you show in the pic of your TE is for the fold-out road-side warning triangle that is required by law in various European countries including Germany. Saloons have them in the boot lid. I had forgotten about this part - I'll post pictures of mine later and edit a part number into the main list case you'd like to try an order...

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JetSetBen - try this site for size.

It uses google translate if you want it, but it's simple enough to set up a log-in and make an order. The part search is a very comprehensive EPC-based one and they can supply... everything, it seems.

I have also been able to order quite a few 124 decals from them, for instance - not items available for on-line ordering in the UK even through the main dealers. Good old Germans.

Mercedes Benz Original Ersatzteile online bestellen www.MercedesTeileOnline.de - Mercedes Benz Teile online

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Document Wallet

83: A 210 899 01 61
BAG LICENSE DOCUMENTS

Here are some photos of the MB wallet that came with my car (and the original contents). It seems that it's NLA according to the German on-line dealer I've been using to check part numbers, but it might still show on a main dealer's system. Check the UK and German ebay listings for second-hand examples.

Wallet Fashion accessory Leather Coin purse Material property

Electronics Technology Electronic device Gadget

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Road-side Warning Triangle

000 590 59 12
WARNING SIGN, FOLDING, TE MODELS

This is mandatory equipment in some countries of Europe. Not in the UK, but our MB's came with them anyway.

The saloons have them mounted in the boot lid as shown. Estates have a different fully-folding design that are stored inside the door of the right-hand load bay compartment, above the first-aid kit.

Triangle Triangle Table Signage Sign

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Trunk Car

· Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
Seeing Moth's post made me walk out to the garage and take a look.
Sure enough, my 87 300TD has it there, mounted right next to the First Aid kit.

Mark

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure enough, my 87 300TD has it there, mounted right next to the First Aid kit.
Aha! So these triangles were shipped to the New World! Thanks for checking, Mark. Now you know where it is, but here's hoping you never have to use it...

Tim

· Premium Member
11,427 Posts
Good pictures Kevin.

Yes, the first-aid kit's strictly historical now! I've kept mine in the car too but carry a new usable one elsewhwere.

My car came with the document wallet (no. 83), but it may be that a) it was a Euro thing or b) it was introduced late in the model's life. I have seen a light-weight see-through plastic version on ebay holding the same stuff, but it looks a bit 'cheap'.

Number 83 is a black fabric pouch with elastic sides and a flap to close. It's sized to hold the owner's manual, service book and radio manual, plus booklets for the MB Touring Guarantee, security system, dealership directory etc.. There's a pocket for the radio code card too.

I don't think it had a dedicated storage location in the car, unless the glove-box has anything built-in to hold it? I have an airbag where that should be, so mine lives in the door pocket when I take it with me.

The storage location you show in the pic of your TE is for the fold-out road-side warning triangle that is required by law in various European countries including Germany. Saloons have them in the boot lid. I had forgotten about this part - I'll post pictures of mine later and edit a part number into the main list case you'd like to try an order...
Tim,
OK...see the document wallet and how it looked. Mine is a zippered rectangular pouch with everything in there in different pockets-probably standard fare for NA models. Yes, found in the glovebox when I picked up the car-but that's because I have a glovebox.;).

Wow...I'd sure like one of those folding safety triangles to fit in the blank nook space, next to the first aid kit! That would be awesome.:D Some idiot in the car's history ripped the compartment open where the spare tire is. Broke both the hooks that keep it in at the bottom. Took me forever to find an epoxy that glued those hooks back.:mad: There were also plastic grommets that lined those hook holes-long gone. I tired using rubber grommets, but that makes the holes to small.:(

Kevin

· Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some idiot in the car's history...
There's ALWAYS an idiot in every car's history! My car's idiot did some very strange things with it, it's taken me a while to make good. Imagine a stoned monkey armed with a sealant gun and you'll be somewhere close.

At least you've found a new accessory for the wagon...

· Premium Member
11,427 Posts
There's ALWAYS an idiot in every car's history! My car's idiot did some very strange things with it, it's taken me a while to make good. Imagine a stoned monkey armed with a sealant gun and you'll be somewhere close.

At least you've found a new accessory for the wagon...
As in the dreaded, red RTV sealer in every joint imaginable(?)...yeah, I've seen that on other vehicles.:eek: Fortunately for me, while the ex had the car the dealer did most of the work. But the few times she strayed because of $$, whoever did any work was brutal!:eek:

Ergo; "Every older car has had its idiot"...I like that.:thumbsup:

Kevin

· Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
Kevin, here ya go.

Tim, I dont know if these cars in North America came with the triangle. The one prior owner of my car took delivery of the car at the factory in Germany and shipped it back here.

In the last pic, that is what you see when you open up the hatch and look on the right side. On the prior 87 300TD I owned I dont remember seeing the warning triangle plaque there.

Mark

Attachments

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.