Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 1986 560SEL, 1992 300D, 1995 E320 Wagon
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh. Minor maybe 10 mph, but the bumper is cracked and chrome keyhole puckered the body in a little..

Not experienced in accidents therefore my general questions are:

Can body shops find bumpers for these, and if so do they source from used places like online or do they go to the dealership only?
If the dealership doesnt have it, do they fix the plastic bumper somehow by filling in the cracks?

I'm curious with what usually happens with insurance, as everyone here has these old W124's where the value is getting to the point to where most any accident will be more expensive than the car is worth. I don't want to total it, would they somehow quote what a new bumper "would have" been plus the cost of bodywork for the trunk keyhole being pushed in some and cut a check for that?

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,847 Posts
visit at least 3 reputable auto body shops and get quotes, ask those exact questions of them. take these quotes to the other parties insurance, they hit you, they are responsible.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,318 Posts
The bumper costs is the least of your problems. They are $50 at the junkyards. And that is a complete bumper. Body work is where it get's expensive.
I'm not sure if you can source the bumper at the dealership but it would be pricey, probably $500-$700 if they have it. Could be more.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,124 Posts
Look for a bumper in the same colour as yours,, to save the paint job...Easy to remove from the front and rear .Its more of a problem to get the carpet out the side of the boot to get to the bolts.

·
Registered
W124
4,754 Posts
ebay has bumper covers listed. I've purchased two over the years and they are so much easier to paint than a used piece. The new ones arrive primed and ready for a wipe down and paint. It takes a half hour to get a bumper cover off and half hour to put it back on. Paint should cost you around $500 if a body shop does it. So you might be in for a repair that is around $700-800. If you paint it yourself, you probably can hold the cost down to around $325.

There are methods for repairing bumpers as well.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,847 Posts
body work on the hood latch, otoh, could run $1000 or more depending on how mashed it is, and whether they can just roller it out and reinstall the latch, or whether it will need fill and paint to make good.

·
Registered
W124
4,754 Posts
I'm curious with what usually happens with insurance, as everyone here has these old W124's where the value is getting to the point to where most any accident will be more expensive than the car is worth.
Insurance companies do two things:
-spend hundreds of millions of dollars on advertising
- screw customers

So beware. The value of your car is particular to your car but dependent on a few things. First, is what similar cars sell for. Use the online selling sites to find the average value of a car like yours (listing price). Ideally, find listings in your region of the country if not locally - but all is not lost if you can't find any local to you. Throw out the highest and the lowest selling prices for the car ads you found and then average them. Next, determine if your car is an average car in terms of maintenance, condition, miles, and tweak the valuation from there. This number is what you feel the car is worth and the insurance company will have a hard time disputing it. If you want to be prepared to defend yourself, print out the ads and keep a file of all of them.

Now see what the insurance company is offering in terms of a repair. They will routinely offer a ridiculously low number for your car if they want to total it. Just dig your heels in, be polite, and tell the person you are speaking with, that you need to talk to their boss because you feel the car is worth more. You can win this fight and its not hard. Just keep escalating until you get what you feel is fair in comparison to what the cars are listed for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts