Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
That sounds really cheap, where did you go to get that done?
It's not supposed to be expensive...

This was all OEM parts ordered through my independent mechanic. Had to submit all the customary VIN paperwork to MB in Germany and then they were shipped here to LA for installation.

These parts are not expensive and they don't take long to reinstall.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's not supposed to be expensive...

This was all OEM parts ordered through my independent mechanic. Had to submit all the customary VIN paperwork to MB in Germany and then they were shipped here to LA for installation.

These parts are not expensive and they don't take long to reinstall.
I dont see any source that can even get the oem parts for that price. The best I found was $96 and I am not even sure if that would be the vin matched one or just a new one.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I dont see any source that can even get the oem parts for that price. The best I found was $96 and I am not even sure if that would be the vin matched one or just a new one.

In March, 2019 I bought a new Lock Cylinder (aka ignition tumbler) from the local M-B dealership parts dept.
VIN matched to all original locks.

For my '89 300CE it is part # 126-460-02-04. For your '90 300E the part # may differ slightly.
Cost $115.56 + tax.
New M-B key is included (a $27. value).

·
Registered
241 Posts
In March, 2019 I bought a new Lock Cylinder (aka ignition tumbler) from the local M-B dealership parts dept.
VIN matched to all original locks.

For my '89 300CE it is part # 126-460-02-04. For your '90 300E the part # may differ slightly.
Cost $115.56 + tax.
New M-B key is included (a $27. value).
Thats interesting, the part number I have looked up is 126-460-06-04 the one you gave shows as a S-class part, probably all the same.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Mercedes Dealership

Thats interesting, the part number I have looked up is 126-460-06-04 the one you gave shows as a S-class part, probably all the same.
Just go into any MB dealership with your registration and ID and order a new tumbler keyed to your vin #. A few days later they call you and you pick it up.

This has always been the case for ordering a new tumbler, and pre 96 years are cheap.

All original tumblers should be replaced long before they start causing problems, lucky you were able to get yours to turn one more time... a 10 minute job without complications. I put new tumblers in all 4 of my 124's, easy job as long as the key still turns in the old tumbler.. good luck

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think I paid $160 for a tumbler and one key at my dealer 3 years ago. Not nearly as cheap as it should be.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
A bargin

This ignition tumbler purchase ($115.32) was in March, 2019. Price includes a $27. M-B key.
This can be considered to be reasonable in today's economy.
I agree Walt, compared to being towed, then paying to have the bad mechanism ripped apart is not a good alternative, and not many (if any) of the new cars will let you replace the tumbler this easily.

Even at the $160, it's still cheap considering it's a 10 minute DIY job then you never worry again..

·
W201 Moderator
2,164 Posts
Mine was $80 and came with a key, the extra one was $40.

At $360 for a late model single replacement remote, I am a happy camper.

- Cheers!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
16 Participants
MERCOMAN
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing