Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E 91
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

I got a MB 230e 89 w124, and I think I got a small problem.
You see, every time I accelerate, the engine sounds like a jet taking of. The fan is engaged all the time.
Now, I thought that there was some sort of clutch ,or something, that tells the fan to engage or not. Is that right?
What is the problem her? And what do I need to fix it?

Thanks!

Sincerely MercBenz94

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
Usually when viscous fan clutch goes bad it would not engage at the right RPM and correct temp. But, there's a possibility that yours had gone bad and remained engaged all the time. The fan blades should spin freely (with little resistance) when the engine is off.

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,688 Posts
Hi!

I got a MB 230e 89 w124, and I think I got a small problem.
You see, every time I accelerate, the engine sounds like a jet taking of. The fan is engaged all the time.
Now, I thought that there was some sort of clutch ,or something, that tells the fan to engage or not. Is that right?
What is the problem her? And what do I need to fix it?

Thanks!

Sincerely MercBenz94
Sounds to me like the fan is staying engaged (happened to me when I got a Chinese one) the fan should dis-engage at 3500 RPM.. witch means you may need a new clutch. Very easy to fix and @130.00 for a German one (German Star)1. Take off radiator shroud 2. loosen the serpentine belt SET bolt (below the water pump) 3. Tighten the belt (top behind the water pump) 4. Unscrew the fan with a 12 or 14 (I can't remember) Allen wrench to un-do the fan from the main center pulley (may need a breaker bar I used a pipe on the Allen) 5. Remove the fan from the clutch 3 small Allens 6. Replace in reverse and do not forget to loosen the belt so it has some play and use the alignment arrow on the belt tentioner. Do not forget to tighten the SET bolt on the tentioner. Use only German a fan clutch such as Sachs or Behr..use this forums search feature for more details, look at the DIY section or use EPC online for part # and pictures. Hopefully more people will chime in with more detail, other experiences, or in my case corrections:eek: Good luck! Sam

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E 91
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sam! I will have a look tomorrow morning!

Sent from my GT-S5360 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,744 Posts
The viscous fan clutch is held in place by an 8mm allen bolt on all IL 6 and V8 motors. Not sure on the 2.3L 4 cyl. On my Cosworth 2.3 16V, the clutch is engaged via a temperature triggered electro magnet rather than a viscous engagement method. I would check into the sending unit that controls the fan if your car is so equipped.

Good Luck

Jayare

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
230e is an electro magnectic clutch. Jayare is right. You probably have a short in the sensor or the wiring.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E 91
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your help! i replaced the sensor for the radiator fan, and now its working!
again, thanks ! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts